Main Menu

When I fell down

Started by AFM937, September 22, 2010, 09:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWF

Quote from: AFM937 on September 22, 2010, 09:16:59 PM
TWF?????????????????????????What ..."complete the lap.
Yep. Ever seen motogp, ama, wera or any other clubs stop on red flag other than afm? Even afm does not stop anywhere, they have two designated corners to stop at, so you still making half a lap.
There is no reason to stop whatsoever. Give me one good reason to stop on track.

Adiggity

Quote from: AFM937 on September 23, 2010, 02:28:58 PM
Alright andy check this out. I'll try to explain this better. When the flags were thrown to me it was at the start finish as where flags are normally thrown. I immediately threw my left hand in the air to warn anyone behind me that I was going to do something different. As I grabbed the bar again I passing braking marker and was carring to much speed to make the turn into 1. I had no choice than to began slowing down in the drag strip area. I don't know why the other rider exited there or why he DID NOT stop. So like I said before he got in my way AS i was trying to slow down and hit him.

Call me direct if you have ???? that goes for anyone. I am done with posts.

Relax bro. As I explained and we discussed last night, I am just trying to understand what happened so we can prevent this in the future. No one is pointing fingers......maybe I'm just a little slow at reading comprehension.

As I said before, I am glad you are both ok. Good to see you walking last night.

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: TWF on September 23, 2010, 06:52:54 PM
Quote from: AFM937 on September 22, 2010, 09:16:59 PM
TWF?????????????????????????What ..."complete the lap.
Yep. Ever seen motogp, ama, wera or any other clubs stop on red flag other than afm? Even afm does not stop anywhere, they have two designated corners to stop at, so you still making half a lap.
There is no reason to stop whatsoever. Give me one good reason to stop on track.

Zoran does have a point. Unfortunately we are not talking about all racers on the racetrack but mostly (including me) amateurs at best.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

TWF

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on September 24, 2010, 10:46:13 AM
Zoran does have a point. Unfortunately we are not talking about racers on the racetrack but mostly (including me) amateurs at best.
Which only makes it worst, as demonstrated  ;D

A DRAGON

This is all so much information.  Two flags were thrown.  The meaning will always be different who ever you talk to.  I believe we all learned something here and will do much better at our track days. 

I'm just so happy Eddie and Scott are alright.  I'm just happy we don't have to go over this in a court room.  In like this is know as a Red Flag.  ( A wake up call for us all)  This sport is very dangerous.  We need to always remember that.  Take it seriously at all times.   :2cents  What ever it's worth

Like Zoran Said.  All the other race venue's use red flags to just end the race and come into the pits.  I understand :surrender that it's a race.  Aren't Track days supposed to be something less? 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

jlavallee

That is probably the biggest point. These are just track days and not races so it is probably a good idea for everyone to remember that. I don't know about anyone else, but I expect anyone I am riding with at a track day to be running below 100%

All in all, I am just happy everyone is alright. I didn't see it so I have no comment on the incident but for reference, the two Canadian racing clubs AMCRA and MRA that I have ran with both use the red flag in the same way...

Red flag means slow down gradually, pull to the edge of the track and stop at the next sections corner marshall station. Await instruction from that corner marshall before exiting the track. NEVER turn around on any track ever.

Rick Bay (BRA)

Wow, a lot of confusion here…if I see a red flag on the track I just throw my left hand in the air to warn everyone behind me, then I COMPLETE STOP in a safe area near to the corners work if it is possible.
I think it is very easy. No secrets at all...
8) 8)

Rand

A couple of things stand out to me here.

The first is a rider should NEVER turn around on the track!!  People die that way! 

The second is the RED flag should not be flown with the checkered flag.  During a trackday open session, the RED flag is defined clearly and repetitively that the riders are to raise a hand and come to a controlled stop.  Don't just hit the brakes, give the other riders an indication of what is going on and stop on a safe place, where you ar visible..   This is done to get the ambulance rolling as soon as possible.

The RED flag at the end of the session should go up after the last rider has passed the checkered flag.  It should NOT be used as a signal to a single rider.

There is no room for ambuguity here.

I'm glad the riders are ok.

Rick Bay (BRA)

Quote from: Rand on September 27, 2010, 02:33:04 PM

The first is a rider should NEVER turn around on the track!!  People die that way! 

The second is the RED flag should not be flown with the checkered flag.  During a trackday open session, the RED flag is defined clearly and repetitively that the riders are to raise a hand and come to a controlled stop.  Don't just hit the brakes, give the other riders an indication of what is going on and stop on a safe place, where you ar visible..   This is done to get the ambulance rolling as soon as possible.

The RED flag at the end of the session should go up after the last rider has passed the checkered flag.  It should NOT be used as a signal to a single rider.

Well said!

Rand

The other thing that must have happened is that two riders either missed, or ignored the checkered flag at the end of the lap.  I'm not sure where it is at RFR.  It's at turn 12 at Thunderhill.

So the checkered flag was already put away on the front straight and replaced by the red flag, signifying that the session was over.  This would have been visible all the way down the front straight.

On a trackday, the checkered flag before the last corner means finish the lap and head into the pits.  It doesn't mean "I thin it just went up, I'm going to squeeze in one more lap."

Only a guess...

2wcp

Quote from: Rand on September 28, 2010, 09:03:35 AM
The other thing that must have happened is that two riders either missed, or ignored the checkered flag at the end of the lap.  I'm not sure where it is at RFR.  It's at turn 12 at Thunderhill.

So the checkered flag was already put away on the front straight and replaced by the red flag, signifying that the session was over.  This would have been visible all the way down the front straight.

On a trackday, the checkered flag before the last corner means finish the lap and head into the pits.  It doesn't mean "I thin it just went up, I'm going to squeeze in one more lap."

Only a guess...

Thats where it gets tricky. Both flags were out on the straightaway. Both riders say that they never recieved the checkered at turn 12. What they think happened is that there was a similar looking bike that got the checkered flag on turn 12 and they mistaked it for the frist rider that ended up getting both flags on the straightaway.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

pizza

eddies new race team name in 2011: "reno red flaggers"
WARNING: fast Buell, slow owner!

Boulevard Pizza- The freshest thin crust pizza in Sparks.

Oneup

Quote from: Rand on September 27, 2010, 02:33:04 PM

Just saw this. Keep in mind that all northern Nevada/northern California trackday providers red flag any one who had blown the checker. You may not agree with it but it is the common accepted practice. You will see it at any trackday you attend in this area.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

A DRAGON

That's the first time I've ever seen that.   Both flags should not be run together.  They both mean opposite things.  You might say Red takes priority over checkered.  Then why fly the Checkered?  It's just end of session. 

Thunderhill will place Red flag on Start finish at the end of session.  That's good enough if you want people to stop. 

Scott the rider in that was turning around was in  a coned area off the track.  When ever you go over there everyone is unpredictable.   
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Justino

Glad you could get out and play last weekend
Sunday's pictures look real good!

I actually figured out that there is ONE way I can keep up with you. . .

. . . a two up ride.   

You're below the frickin' tank! :o  Yowza!

Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.