Main Menu

Great thread ("Honoring those.....Hog Honey") and a question.

Started by TimSRAD750, January 17, 2009, 10:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimSRAD750

I have two passions in my life (besides my family), motorcycles and sailing.  Ironically, no one in my family introduced me to either.  Maybe they are just in my DNA (nature vs. nurture?). 

I really enjoyed reading the thread regarding the people that introduced all of you to motorcycling and with a son of my own now it brings up a very subjective question.  Kids on motorcycles.  For those of you with kids, what are your opinions regarding riding with kids on a streetbike?

Thanks for any opinions.

Tim

repsol71

I'm with you on this, no one introduced me, I just knew I wanted to do it, back in 1985 I got a brochure on the 600 Ninja, and the guy was getting some knee, and I just had to do it. As far as riding with kids, I have 4 and in 24 years I don't make it a habbit of riding anyone on the back, I even take the rear pegs off right from the start. However, I cannot wait for the day when my 3 boys are of age to start riding with me on their own street bikes, what a rush that will be. ;D ;D
I am always ready to rip!!!

Justin

You have to do what makes YOU comfortable.
I brought my current bike home and the first thing I did was take the passenger pegs off.
I didn't even want my wife on it. 
I had been contemplating for a year the idea of taking my this bike off the street.  After a silly crash I decided to replace the scuffed bodywork with race bodywork. It is now track only.
Trail riding, or dual sport riding is where I'd bring my kid. (in FULL gear, of course)
Or bring them out on the track.  Lot's of providers allow a passenger in the beginner group.   
(Teaching them to sail is a life-long gift!)
You do what is right for you and your family, just be careful!

Mike

My Girls have been on the back of my for many years short rides here and there one is much more stable on the back. here is me with my 17yo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Track It!.

Member of the SSA since 1996

Justin

Plus, there is the rest of the track experience to share.
There is a lot of motoculture to experience at the track.

JetdocX

I ride a Tiger.  I have a back case for the Tiger that I install as a backrest for my 8 yo son.  He likes to go for rides with me.  He's ridden with me since he was able to reach the pegs.

He has his own XR50 Honda-san, and all the gear.  I just tell him to gear up and off we go to the video store, grocery store, bike night, whatever he's down with it.

Longest ride to date, home(old SW Reno) to Incline Village.  He did great and it was even a little cold.  Any longer than that, and I'm worried he might fall asleep and fall off, probably not, but I'm erring on the conservative side.

I worry about what would happen if we crash, but I'm always thinking defensively when riding, so it's not a real mental or behavioral change. 

trent

Mydaughter started at about 3 years old.. I would put her on the tank of my dirt bike and take her for rides around camp. When she could reach the pegs on the 88 fzr 1000 that I had at the time we started going up and down the neighborhood streets. Then I took her for her first ride aound town when she was about 4 1/2.... All I remember was this little voice in my ear saying "Faster Daddy Faster" all I could do was laughh to myself and think Im in trouble at the same time.

I say go for it.. Gear them up and ride safe...
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Justin

Quote from: JetdocX on January 18, 2009, 01:59:44 PM
I worry about what would happen if we crash, but I'm always thinking defensively when riding, so it's not a real mental or behavioral change. 
kudos to you for always riding with your head connected.
I ride differently when I am alone. . . this means that I got fatigued MUCH faster with a passenger.
I am way more mentally involved, so I get tired faster.  I adjusted the length of my rides to compensate for fatigue.

cobra23

It's like parenthood.

You should have to take a test to do it, but that would get the government involved. Thats always bad. Still I have seen a few riders, with kids on the back, that maybe should not have done that. I had my two sons ride with me for short little blips on streets that were not crowded, they loved it.

Now I have a grandson, it's like being a kid all over again. He is 3 months old, and I find myself looking at Honda 50's all the time. You have got to start them in the dirt. The dirt is where they can fall down and get up laugh and learn. They learn how to slide, and control the bike in those situations.

My Cousin started me on a Yamaha DT 175 Vintage 1973. Thought I was Roger DeCoster. 2 years later I bought the brand new DT 175 (1975). Rode that on the street in a small town, and on fire roads. Took about a week to figure out people dont see you, and want to run you over.

The thing that suprises me most these days is the number of 20 year olds with no experiance buying Litre bikes. I remember as a kid getting almost made fun of for thinking about a 900 Kawasaki, as I had not "paid my dues" on smaller bikes first.

So it was...DT 175...KZ 440. (whole bunch of dirt bikes) GPZ 550 (crashed that one), Seca 650... KZ 1000....CBR 900RR......Ducati Monster......not any more, "Dude give me the R-1!!!"

Kids as passengers, as long as you are a real good rider. Kids learn in the dirt (or the track) First.

Hog Honey

WELCOME TIM .....
First of all, you have now joined the best group you will ever find. There is no question to big or to small for this group.

My parents had Harley Davidson's when my sister and I were very young. Dad use to ride us around the streets near the house. He taught us to ride, to be safe, and be aware of everything around us. You know your kids better then anyone, so you will know when the time is right for them to ride with you and then ride alone. The track would be a good place and a safe place.

Just be smart about the choices and remember your kids will learn from example. Have fun and enjoy it.
Hog-Honey