Main Menu

Fake club members

Started by Team Gorgonzola, December 01, 2008, 09:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Admin CATZ

Do you guys want me to delete all members with "0" post?

fyrepunk

I'm pretty new catz.  Been here a few weeks.  I'd delete the accounts that haven't been active instead of the ones who haven't posted anything.  Maybe their just shy man.

Mike Cullen

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: Catz on December 03, 2008, 04:38:58 PM
Do you guys want me to delete all members with "0" post?

I will email you after I speak with the Prez.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Admin CATZ

I'm having a hard time finding a way to sort the people who have not been active for a certain period. I'll keep looking. That's my first choice but it might just be I delete those who haven't posted and signed up more than 30 days ago. Or however long you guys decide on. Then you can also give me the names of the people left you think are fake.

Hog Honey

Quote from: fyrepunk on December 03, 2008, 05:59:25 PM
I'm pretty new catz.  Been here a few weeks.  I'd delete the accounts that haven't been active instead of the ones who haven't posted anything.  Maybe their just shy man.

If someone is new and shy they would have got the message from Catz, and would sign back up wouldn't you think? Seems the easy thing to do is to delete the members with no posts for now. Or even try removing the option to add a web link ? I don't have one, so I am not sure how that would go over with those that do.

Adiggity

I don't think it is a good idea to delete the accounts that have 0 posts because like has been said they could just be peeps that simply don't post but still come to our bike nights and trackdays and log in just to read what the haps are. I don't know how you would decipher on who is fake and who is not......?? Maybe n10sive or scotinexcile have some ideas. I actually know of at least a couple people who I have never seen post anything but check in to see what is up. I don't even know what their screen names are, but I know they exist. It is winter time right now too (non riding season) so we should factor that in when considering to nix accounts.

I would personally think accounts like this one below are obviously bunk. Having a signature with prices for pills is usually a dead giveaway.  :D

http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=537

I guess we'll have to just sort through them and decide which ones seem kosher and which ones don't....

n10sive

icq is one of the original messaging systems like MSN, Yahoo chat etc...
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

oldBolt

What are the bots doing?

Is any one being spammed?

Are they posting in threads or are they just registering to try to get better page ratings with the search engines?

I would have to agree with Catz that working with open source can be aggravating and time consuming.

With the SMF software are we now doing these things, make members activate by email | set the captcha difficulty to high | set the password strength difficulty to high?

SIDEBAR (just throwing it out there)
Sites like BARF and others use vBulletin. https://www.vbulletin.com/order/
Pricing looks reasonable and it uses the same back end as SMF.  I am not sure what a conversion would be like but I think I heard that some members are IT professionals/ software shop owners/ DBA's.  I dabble a bit with .NET C flavor things for a fortune 50 company here and would offer a hand at looking at estimating, designing and planning a feasibility study into the benefits, costs and work estimates for either tighten up the current board or moving onto a commercial software package if there is a need or interest in updating or upgrading the site to support any future direction or ideas of the association.

"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

n10sive

Snitz forums are pretty easy to setup and maintain too...but why fix what ain't broken. We were broke last year and changed forum software to this then.

So your a fellow .NET'r eh? cool.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

A DRAGON

Hey Catz boy. Just keep doing what your doing. Your doing alright. I know you'll get to it when you can. Thanks for all your help. Your the best I know.

Come Christmas. I'll have UPS drop something off at your house, that's real nice  Your a good EGG!!
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Admin CATZ

Registration was set to minimum with no email confirm since we never had a problem. Now it is set to high with email confirm.

I'll have A-digitty start emailing me names to remove and then I'll delete them and ban the IP address. Slowly we will fix it.

If you see a suspected fake email or pm A-digitty or me.

russtman

DA BEARS -----    and I ordered  DA BEERS.....    :P
Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.