Main Menu

Warm Springs mtn. ride report 11/30 (pics and video)

Started by Yard Sale, December 01, 2008, 11:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

Google maps location

I rigged up an Axial Video helmet camera, charged up three hours worth of batteries, packed the spares, then forgot to bring even a single SD card. So all I had was the mini-DVR's internal memory, for 6:19 of video. However, I did have my trusty still picture camera with charged batteries and a CF card.

(Pictures link to larger [1600x1200] versions. Use the high quality option when viewing the videos.)

First up is a short but sweet singletrack trail:
YouTube link

After riding like a complete spode with the helmet camera on some singletrack, I headed west for a while before I remembered I had the still camera.

With the bike either in neutral or not running, the still camera did not make me ride like a spode.

From the south, looking at Dogskin:

From the west, looking east at Pyramid Lake:

I came down that last year in the snow. I'm not going to say going up is impossible, just highly unlikely.

Pic from the top last year:

I stopped to take a picture of this rock garden just to make it harder to climb.

This hawk was looking for lunch over and around the rock garden:

A simple U-turn gone horribly wrong. This bears a striking resemblance to other photos of mine. (Hehe, picture #911.)

If I recall correctly, this is a badazz little trials section I saw from the bottom last year.

Pic from the bottom, from last year's recon ride:

I didn't go up or down it but I'll come back and do it with a wingman. I'm gonna call a couple of hard-pipe-hittin' ninjas to go to work on the homes here with a pair o' pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talking hillbilly boy? I aight through wit chu not a damn sight. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass!

It was then that I decided to use some precious video memory going up the wash. However, I caught my protruding size 11 Alpinestars between a large rock and my footpeg. This produced profanity, followed by spode riding and crying.
YouTube link

I decided to dry my tears by heading down the wash before my foot became too painful. I set the helmet cam to record, knowing it would run out of memory before I ran out of trail.
YouTube link

After resting at the bottom of the wash, I did some exploring then headed back up the wash, looking for northern exits. I found a doozy!

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to use a trials tire. I'm proud to say I made it up through a bunch of this garbage with a Michelin S12 without airing down below my normal 13 psi.

Climbing that nastiness was rewarded by another nice view:

Dogskin again:

This is one of a very few Moonrocks/Hungry Valley rides in which I never turned a knob on the Dogskin.

End

A DRAGON

In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750