Main Menu

Tire chioce

Started by MnMTriumph, August 11, 2008, 06:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MnMTriumph

hY all got my bike back and and now I need tires.  LOL.  I have Bridgestone battlax bt020 I like the tire and i got about 3500 miles on the tire. I do all my riding on the street (no track days yet but sooooooooon I hope). Is there a better tires(cuz i dont know much bout tires). Any help will be appreciated thanks all. 

JENX!!!

i switched from my stock dunlops to Michelins pilot power 2CT's and I LOVE THEM!!!!! very sticky on the street!!!! works GREAT for the track too....Im sure more people will chime in on this. ;D
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

MotoPutz

If your only on the street I would recommend dual compound tires. Pirelli makes the Corsa III and then there is the Michelin 2CT. I don't know if this is the only ones but I love my Corsa III's and I have used them on the track as well. But the highway life is much better.

yzinger

Dual Compound. I run the PP 2ct and like them. others like pirellis. either way I dont think you can go wrong

buell12r

I have ran both perelli and michelin, you cant goring with a doual compound.  warm up quickely on the corners, but wear well in the straights. 

POSER 511

CHECK OUT SPORTBIKETRACKGEAR.COM THEY HAVE A GOOD PRICE ON TIRES AND FREE SHIPING JUST ORDERED MY PP 278.00 TO MY FRT. DOOR ;D ;D ;D ;D

trent

I have the 2ct's and love them as well. Ive used them on the track and the street and they work good both places.
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Adiggity

Quote from: MnMTriumph on August 11, 2008, 06:18:42 PM
hY all got my bike back and and now I need tires.  LOL.  I have Bridgestone battlax bt020 I like the tire and i got about 3500 miles on the tire. I do all my riding on the street (no track days yet but sooooooooon I hope). Is there a better tires(cuz i dont know much bout tires). Any help will be appreciated thanks all. 
Better as in what? Are you looking for something that will get more mileage or better traction? If you liked the Bstones, and you got 35k miles out of them I would just stick with them. All the main manufacturers make great tires and they are constantly improving them in different ways. Some are more sticky than others but don't get the mileage, others aren't as sticky but get more mileage. Basically you will sacrifice one for the other. The stickier they are the softer they are, which in turn means they will wear faster. Bridgestone has the new BT016 that is their new dual/triple compound street/track tire. The answer to your question depends on what your looking to get from your tires.

These guys are having an August Sale.
http://www.jcmotors.com/m-28-bridgeston.aspx

MnMTriumph

Thanks all for the advice it has been helpful think ill try the perelli. After some research and your help I think I will give them a try see how thay do.  then again after reading up on the battlax 016s i may try them. thanks for that web post.  What a great price too

MnMTriumph

another stupid ?.  If a bike comes stoct with say 120/70zr55 and you go down to a 120/60zr55 does that affect the turning much?

Oneup

Quote from: MnMTriumph on August 12, 2008, 05:50:07 PM
another stupid ?.  If a bike comes stoct with say 120/70zr55 and you go down to a 120/60zr55 does that affect the turning much?

Yes it will affect the handling of the bike.  Going from a 120/70 to a 120/60 will drop the front end approximately 12mm which can make a big difference.  If I am remembering correctly the bike will be twitchier and will want to turn in quicker.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

MnMTriumph

Quote from: Oneup on August 12, 2008, 07:03:24 PM
Quote from: MnMTriumph on August 12, 2008, 05:50:07 PM

Yes it will affect the handling of the bike.  Going from a 120/70 to a 120/60 will drop the front end approximately 12mm which can make a big difference.  If I am remembering correctly the bike will be twitchier and will want to turn in quicker.

Thanks for that responce i think i will drop then.  she is about 500lbs.(I Think wet) and I think it will help in the corners.

Oneup

Be careful though because a twitchier bike is also more prone to headshake.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

A DRAGON

A-Diggity has a good point. I always look for milage out of my street tyres. I'm getting just over 5000 miles out of my rears. If you don't do any hard take offs from a stop you should get pretty good milage. I usually wait till the sides are worn down then I gass the sh*& out of them. That's been working great for me.
If it's confidence you lack in your Bridgestones try using some Track take offs to build your confidence on the street. If guys have been racing on them and they hold you can be sure you'll have some of that same grip on the street. You never get them to tempture on the street like they do on the Track but you mind doesn't know that.  They are all excellent tyres and will do you just fine what ever you chose. I know I am kinda parcel to those Pirelli's. But I'm using Michelin on my track bike. Isn't it great to have so many choices?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

MnMTriumph

Thanks for all the advice I went with the bs battlax 016 Ill let you know how thay work out.