Main Menu

2007 GSXR 1000 wheelie question

Started by Timbo, July 30, 2008, 11:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trent

That thing should wheelie like crazy.. I just bought an 02 gsxr 1000 track bike with a stock motor and it was doing power wheelies a lot last Sat. No power commander just some micron exhaust. Back in the day I even had a 92 1100 gsxr that would wheelie on command. Its just a different power curve than your TL. I also agree that there is a time and a place for wheelies and stunting in general and its not on the streets..
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Mike Cullen

1. check for cops
2. check mirrors
3. check side to side
4. check for cops again
5. check avatar....

Timbo

It`s not that I like doing wheelies I was just wondering why it would not pull the front wheel on a power take off . And for the twisties I live 30 miles from the Feather river canyon and 15 miles from hyw 49 to Downniville

Justin

Quote from: Timbo on August 03, 2008, 12:35:16 AM
It`s not that I like doing wheelies I was just wondering why it would not pull the front wheel on a power take off .

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.  If it doesn't loft the front tire, something is wrong.  That bike should come up on it's own with ease.
'

n10sive

one thing to remember too....body position can be key. When I had my RD400 back in the day it would power wheelie very easy when I first got it. Then, after riding it a bunch I found I was anticipating the wheelie and transfered more weight forward subconsciously  to the point where I could hardly get it to wheelie at all. Others would ride my bike and literally pull it over on themselves so I knew it still had the power.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Highlander

Quote from: n10sive on August 03, 2008, 08:56:12 PM
one thing to remember too....body position can be key. When I had my RD400 back in the day it would power wheelie very easy when I first got it. Then, after riding it a bunch I found I was anticipating the wheelie and transfered more weight forward subconsciously  to the point where I could hardly get it to wheelie at all. Others would ride my bike and literally pull it over on themselves so I knew it still had the power.

I had an RD400 as well, do you remember the article about taking TZ750 pistons and putting them in? Had to file the ports up a bit and the rings were like baling wire I had to change them every few days, that with the DG chambers and radial head (the one with the big fins). But it was worth it wow what power, I believe it was now 465cc's it was a blast blew away just about anything on the road back then even modified kawi 900's. Yep those were the days...oh by the way the GSXR1000 '07 will power wheelie but it's higher in the RPM range 8 or 9k if you wack open the throttle or so I have been told ;)
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.
E.A.Poe

Timbo

The bike wants to come up if im on the throttle hard but it dont and also I live at 5000 ft elevation that is a big minus also

Oneup

Elevation won't effect it that much.  It will still come up at 5000ft without any problem.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

repsol71

Dude, anyone can go fast in a str8 line, hit some corners and get some knee, thats what your bike was made for. :P
I am always ready to rip!!!

TWF

Quote from: Oneup on August 04, 2008, 05:01:57 PM
Elevation won't effect it that much.  It will still come up at 5000ft without any problem.
actually it will make big difference.
at see level I don't have to do nothing and it will come up in first 3 gears.
here you have to hit it right to get 1st gear up.

Oneup

Quote from: TWF on August 04, 2008, 05:45:24 PM
actually it will make big difference.
at see level I don't have to do nothing and it will come up in first 3 gears.
here you have to hit it right to get 1st gear up.

I understand it makes a difference, I just remember not having any problem getting the front wheel up in first or second on my 1000 when I lived in Reno.  I thought that the newer ones would be even easier.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Yard Sale

Haha, I pulled a nice clutchless power wheelie this morning on my 29 HP WR250X.

WR250X pwns GSXR1000!

But seriously, those things come with like 17-42 gearing. That has got to be what is holding you back.

A DRAGON

Timbo how's the Jerk off CHP doing in your area? They writing everyone up left and right or what. I  got writen for 58 in a 55 by a Dildo.b]
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

al

I've seen online vids of riders doing power wheelies in first w/o slipping the clutch. Perhaps the altitude in Reno or Carson is too high and so O2 too low for this simple stunt. I've tried this with my 600 and the front end does get up a wee fraction, nothing substantial though.