Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Tip: Bleed your Brakes

Started by Yard Sale, July 16, 2008, 03:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

Bleed your brakes before every track day. Not just to remove air, but to replace the old fluid. Old fluid causes brake fade.

I had a lot of brake fade on both my 250 and 600 recently, and bleeding cured it. So I decided to bleed brakes every other track weekend. I guess that wasn't enough and I suffered brake fade on my 250 this weekend. So I'm now going to bleed brakes between every track weekend.

JENX!!!

good to know man.....thanks. ;D.......what kind of brake fluid do you use for track days?
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Yard Sale

Motul RBF600 seems to be more fade resistant than the auto parts store stuff.

Dragone

Quote from: Yard Sale on July 16, 2008, 11:03:13 PM
Motul RBF600 seems to be more fade resistant than the auto parts store stuff.

A change out after every day on the track?  That seems kinda goofy.  I use RBF as well.   ....and this charter BS is killing me!

Yard Sale

Bleed between every track event. It only seems excessive until your lever is coming back to your bar and you aren't slowing down.

Oneup

It will probably be less of an issue once the weather cools down.  The fade is caused by the boiling of the fluid.  Hard braking is what causes the boiling but the high ambient temperatures make it worse.  I've been having the same issue.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

JENX!!!

is there any place in reno that sells RBF600?
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Yard Sale

Anybody that carries Motul products should have it. I think I picked some up at Michaels and I've been buying Motul premix oil at RMS.

Maybe since I'm doing this every event now plain old Castrol DOT4 is OK...

A DRAGON

Hey bring your bleder to the Track and suggest that in Tech. That would be pretty cool to do. Just don't mess it up. You could Kill a Track Day Customer.(TDC) I willl aslo be using you in Tech too Eric if your available.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

quinn

the hot sh*T at the races these days is ATE SUPER BLUE it works really well and never fades.
its about $15 for a liter on amazon.com

ill have a liter of SUPER BLUE and my bleeding stuff this weekend if anyone needs it
Quinn #143

Yard Sale

I wish to amend my original tip. Don't use an old bottle of fluid that has been opened and then sat on the shelf. Brake fluid that has sat around for a year sucking moisture out of the air is going to cause brake fade no matter how often you change it.

Yeah so I got brake fade Saturday with my freshly bled brakes. Bled with the last of an old bottle of fluid. Bleeding at lunch time with from fresh bottle of fluid stopped the fade.