Main Menu

Project CBR 1000rr Rebuild

Started by Wilde Racing, February 09, 2010, 12:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilde Racing

I bought a 06 CBR at an auction last month. I just got it home this last weekend. I had my father pick it up initially and store it for a time. It was in pretty rough shape, but I thought it didnt look too bad myself.....

The good news is it had a few aftermarket parts. Exhaust, carbon fiber front/rear fenders, steering dampener and a few others. I begain collecting parts I knew I would need, and also ordered some Cheap China auctmark plastic..

When I got the bike home I found the engine was some how damaged during the crash, further inspection found the pistons in cylinders three and four had hit and bent the valves.

So here I sit, waiting on parts for this wonderful project bike that I'm thinking I would have been money ahead if I left it alone.....
05 CBR 1000rr

cobra23

Oh boy you have some work cut out to do.....

I have abuddy who did a real nice job on his CBR, will try to post a photo.

Take digital photo's of everything the wireing, the fuel plumbing, everything. Cause it ain't rel easy to get all those parts back to where they started.

Wilde Racing

I have worked at a Honda shop on and off during high school and collage, so it is not new for me. Plus I have a shop manual which shows the routing of all harnesses and hoses. Non-the-less taking photos of things as you mentioned is a great idea, thank you. I would love to see pictures of others projects and respect thous who go out on a limb to do a job for them-selves..

I got a complete head coming. my head is O.K although it does have some scoring on one of the bearing journals, and the guides took a good beating on the two cylinders with the bend valves. Hopefully I'll have the engine running by next weekend and will start the fun part....
05 CBR 1000rr

RedLeader

Pictures are a great idea... i try to take pictures any time something looks confusing, more the better i believe. it still seems that the one part i didnt take a picture of is the one im not sure how it goes.
I did some major work on my 03 Kawi, where i totally replaced the head and did valve timing and such. its by no means really enjoyable, but if you follow the shop manual its not too difficult.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

Wilde Racing

Well I was hoping to update this thread with some pictures of the bike going together, but the project took another turn.....

Before the update here is a picture of another project I have been working on. A motorcycle work table, it isn't done yet but it is close enough to use for the time. If it interests anyone, and you guys want more info I'll gladly share measurements and build pictures...

Anyway, I got the new head on and shimmed. The bike started up and sounded good at an idle, but had a VERY bad rod knock.. :'(

So, out comes the engine. I pulled it last night and wasn't sure how bad the damage was going to be.

Found number three rod had spun but all others looked good. Block looks good and cylinders look O.K.

Now it looks like I'll be selling the 05 to fund the 06 TOTAL rebuild. The only good that will come from this other than a engine with new bearings is, I might go with some aftermarket pistons while I'm there.

Anyone know of a machine shop that is up to the task of boring a 1000rr block?
05 CBR 1000rr

Wilde Racing

Well another small update, new (used) crack, rods, and pistons are here and look good. Block is cleaned and ready to regain specing bearings. Cylinder walls have the typical CBR scoring, but I will most likely re-run the engine as is. Here are two pictures, one shows checking for cylinder taper and out of round, the other shows the scoring in the liner itself.

The plan is to rebuild with new rings and bearings, cam chain, oil pump chain, and gaskets of course. I also plan on cleaning up the head and milling it (a unknown amount at this time) The block might be getting decked but that is dependent on the piston quench. Also some HRC cam gears or modifying my stock ones to enable me to degree the cams. The plan could change if I get my asking price for my 05 CBR, I might be going with JE pistons. I hope to throw in a Quick shift and a few training days at the track with the remainder of my budget. I'm also toying with the idea of Megasquirts to take over the control of the engine. (yea I like making things harder than they need to be)

So that's the plan, bearings will be ordered Tuesday and will start mocking up the engine for measurements later in the week.

Does anyone know if BVH will match prices on parts? I'd like to buy from them, but I'm also on a tight budget....
05 CBR 1000rr

Oneup

I take it scoring is common on Hondas?  Also I am interested in that table.  It looks interesting.  Can you give me more info on it?  I don't need the measurements, I'm interested in what it looks like up close and what it's supposed to be like when it's finished.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Wilde Racing

The scoring is common with the hondas, some claim it is due to free revving the engine, some say poor piston design, but I have no idea.

The stand is pretty much done as far as looks go, I just need to finish boxing in a few things, grind down a few sharp points and paint it. I like working on the bike on the stand, it doesnt hurt my back as much. There is a guy in carson that actually makes these in aluminum as well as dirt bike stands and ramps. That is where I got the idea, Here is his version..

05 CBR 1000rr

Wilde Racing

Well, first shipment of parts are here, I have almost everything, but I still need valve stem seals and a head gasket. I plan on using a 04 head gasket and ordering some aftermarket sprockets to compensate for the head milling.

Stayed up late last night and checked all the bearing clearances. Also mounted the engine to my engine stand. I'm not real thrilled with the mounting, but once the lower case is on I have another mounting point and makes me feel a bit better about it.

Here is the stand/engine. and the "Pink" mains....

05 CBR 1000rr

BumblebeeR6

looks like it'll be sick when it's done!!!!
Dustin A. Steffey

A DRAGON

I'm with you. Can't wait to see it finished :-*
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

cobra23

Nice very nice.......

Keep posting them pics!!