Main Menu

04 GSXR 1000.... anyone own one?

Started by cobra23, October 30, 2016, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra23

I have a friends Gixxer in the garage with a number of issues. An interesting problem cam up today. The rear wheel bearings were replaced after powder coating the wheels. The sleeve in the chain hub does not make contact with the inner wheel bearing.

There are three bearings two in the wheel, and one in the hub. The hub has not been molested. I can't figure out how the bearing could get pressed "too deep". Or maybe he has a bad set of spacers (from another bike?).

Anyway since I did not tear this thing down, there are too many possibilities. Wondering if any of you have been through the same problem.

GreenMachine

Were all the parts reassembled the way they came out?  If you have a repair manual, it should show the order of the internal hub parts.  That or a parts schematic online would also show that.

I don't have or know of anyone with that model bike, but I've had my own pickle after replacing tires.  I often look and think, where did this part come from.  Fortunately it all goes back properly and no issues after that.  :dunno
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

The bike came to me from another person therefore I could not be certain it was assembled correctly as I removed the parts.

After scoring a PDF of the manual, I determined the gap is supposed to be there. This is just not what I am accustomed to seeing.

I even measured the parts to determine if there should or should not be a gap. The wheel spins freely when he whole assembly is torqued. Its just different. Must be a weight savings thing.