Main Menu

08/15/13 - Group ride - Bucks Lake

Started by GreenMachine, September 13, 2013, 06:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I'm hoping to make this ride, but no guarantees.  I have work to do on Saturday that might take me into Sunday to complete.  It's a major project that I cannot get around, I have to go through it until it's done.  And I won't be able to make next week's ride either.  Going to a friend's house to watch NFL.

Post here if you plan on going.  Start time is 8:45 AM, north route.

This will be the penultimate (2nd to last) officially scheduled local SSA ride for 2013, Markleeville being the last local ride.  Hard to believe the ride season's coming to a close so soon or maybe it just feels that way.  The official last scheduled ride is Yosemite's free national parks day ride, meaning you're not charged to enter the park.  IOW, free.  I do plan on making the voyage.  It'll be a long day.  Whether anyone attempts to make that trip on two wheels or not, I've done it before and I can do it again.  What better way to finish the ride season than seeing Yosemite one last time.  I'm taking my good camera.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

nvgixxer

Too bad you're working today GM! I'm heading for Monitor and Ebbetts later on this morning. 
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

Next week NV.  Can you ride that course again then?

I'm cleared to ride Sunday.  See you at the North Route Starbucks 9:30 AM.   :angel
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

BTW, for tomorrow.  I don't know what the forecast will look like, but I am going to assume it will be like we've been having.  Therefore, I plan on being back to Reno by 4:30 PM, before the lightening has time to brew.

dub

The thunder storms we've been having this week aren't forecasted to continue tomorrow.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

I have 2 questions about this ride. Who's going and why the late start?

Mel

GreenMachine

I'm going and 9:30 is what the schedule says. 

What time would you propose?  Are you coming?

Traditionally mid-September mornings are suppose to only average 43°, thus a later scheduled start.  Tomorrow's low is forecast for 60°, so we could get an earlier start and take advantage of that.

Mel

Hey GM,

I'm up and ready to ride this morning. I was out last night, so just saw your response. I'm ok with 8:30am to get an earlier start if that works for you. Post up and let me know.

Mel

GreenMachine

How's about 8:45?  I was out late last night too and it's only 39° in Truckee right now.

Mel

nvgixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 14, 2013, 04:40:46 PM

But of course I can! Monitor Pass is like a second home to me!  ;D
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

dub

I decided last night I was going to ride with you guys today.  I was gonna leave at 9 to meet you at the roundabout at 10; assuming you left starbucks at 930.

But I got up too late to adapt to the earlier start time.

I'm still gonna set off a little after 9 and ride towards quincy.  If you guys are still doing the bucks lake ride, I will probably catch you at a rest stop.  If not, I guess I wont see you.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Oh, sorry Dub.  Would have loved to have you join us.  Text me next time.  If it's within 20 mins of our scheduled start, I'm usually just packing up my phone.  We would have stopped in Sierraville and waited for you, without giving it a second thought.

Mel figured since it was just the two of us, we could set our own schedule, which is why we started early.  You probably missed us in Truckee by 30 minutes, because Mel and I chatted for a bit before starting and I was, as usual, late.  We discussed where we'd like to go and how much time we wanted to spend before returning.  The result was we rode nonstop from Reno to the Chevron in Quincy.  And, even then, we only stopped there long enough to clean the bugs off our visors and again we were off.

You would have had your work cutout for you in intercepting us, as our plans changed by the time we made Oroville.  I believe it was one of the Quincy CHP we saw stalk its way past us at the OHV rest stop, just east of where we usually stop on the 162 summit.  I think he was in need of a potty break, if you ask me.  He just kept driving into the forest.  Very strange to see a CHP cruiser heading off into jeep trails. ???  We were there for the same reason.  And that set the last change in our planned route, since neither of us was in favor of going back up 162 with him up there.  We departed Oroville about 12:15 PM headed east to Marysville road and hwy 49.  Mel had never been from Oroville to Downieville, so that's the route we came back on, a huge reverse loop.  Hwy 49 wasn't much cleaner though.  The rains don't seem to have reached that area, but most of the dirt was in the Westbound lane.  Our pace was B the whole way, with Mel five feet off my tire the whole time.  I should have good pictures of him.   :|)

One brief excursion to Pike road, then back to Downieville for pizza.  We were starving by then and service was quick...for a change.  We departed D-ville at 2:45 and made it home shortly before 4:30. 

I never checked my phone once during the trip.  Mel likes to cover a lot of ground when he rides.  He likes to talk a lot too, but not to the extent it slows us down in route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: nvgixxer on September 15, 2013, 08:30:46 AM
Quote from: GreenMachine on September 14, 2013, 04:40:46 PM

But of course I can! Monitor Pass is like a second home to me!  ;D
I just remembered I may have already double booked myself for next weekend. I'll know within a day or two though if those plans fall through.  Would like to catch Monitor or whatever road you want to ride NVG.   I'll be in touch.

288RR

I really want to join you guys today. I worked my ass off sat.  And had to do a few hours today, but didnt get it done soon enough. So I went to the air races and had a blast out there.  Sounds like missed out on a great ride. I done plan on trying to make the Yosemite ride.