Main Menu

"Seal Team Six" move tonight. Looks like it's going to be good.

Started by GreenMachine, November 04, 2012, 09:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

n10sive

This is the "Obama/Hollywood" sponsored one right? It will be the THIRD Discovery/Nat Geo story on this now. Watched the one done by the "Black Hawk Down" author Mark Bowden. Was pretty good. Watched one on Discovery narrated by Obama (already). Read the book "No Easy Day" by one of the DEVGRU guys that was there. Gripping accounts.

Will be interesting to hear this "official" account and see how much it differs from what the SEALS themselves are saying.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

NatGeo must be giving equal time.  GWB has the first hour 7:00 - 8:00PM recounting 9/11/01.  It's his interview of that day.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

36 minutes in and no Obama speeches.  Just damn cool.  This is like The Hunt for Red October.

Lovin it!

288RR

Well. I missed it. But I watch the preview. And it does looks damn good

n10sive

I actually thought the movie sucked LOL

it's so horribly inaccurate when it comes to the SEALS portrayal. They (the movies producer) didn't do much homework, or get much help from the community so most of it is just made up. Example: the shit talk between the hippy and the team leader and the little wrestling match? WOULD NOT HAPPEN! DOES NOT HAPPEN! That stuff gets you off a normal Seal Team, let alone DEVGRU (Team 6). SEALS also don't stand up, walking casually during shooting drills like that. It's not the way they train.

If you are to believe "Washington's" version, or the SEALS, the movie isn't accurate on those parts either. It was pure FICTION. Example: UBL was not holding a gun. There was no O-4 officer on those stairs or first through the door either. The initial firefight...none of it happened if you are to believe the guys who were actually there.

It's also funny to believe that they were going to prosecute Mark Owen for divulging classified information when these MOVIE producers where allowed unprecedented access to CIA records and divulged a BUNCH of information on how they actually found "The courier" and tracked him.

Also had to love the swipe thrown at Obama in the scene with the Doctor. "We'll stand by you" doc: "You sure?" LOL now he's in a Pakistan prison...thrown under the bus big time.

Yeah...I found the movie more comical, and typical hollywood dribble. I wonder how Katherine Bigelows version is going to be. It's due out soon too.

BTW GM, you should read the book "No Easy Day" if you are interested in this stuff. Also, Bowden's documentary on the raid which is shown on Discovery is pretty good too. And of course, the movie "Act of Valor" actually shows more of how SEAL's train and act than this movie (since it used real SEAL's)

GreenMachine

I'm going to have to up my movie reviewing skills, because I liked it so much I ended up watching it twice last night.  It's going to be aired again on Friday and I'm planning on grabbing a pizza and some beer and watching it again.  Whether OBL had a gun, was standing, sitting or jumping out the window with his pants on fire, the man's got a bullet in him and he's dead.  

My three lunch buddies refused to watch it because they hate Obama and heard he narrates bits of it.  To each his own.  I'd pay to see it in the theaters on the big screen, long before I'd pay to watch half the overdone CGI fake crap we're being served today.  

I heard there's another movie coming out in December call Zero Dark Thirty.  Have you heard of it and how would you rate it?  Here's the trailer:

n10sive

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 05, 2012, 11:50:55 PM
I heard there's another movie coming out in December call Zero Dark Thirty.  Have you heard of it and how would you rate it?  Here's the trailer:

Yeah, that's the Katherine Bigelow ("The Hurt Locker") one I mentioned. If your friends won't watch this one, they would not enjoy "Targeting Bin Laden" on the Discovery Channel. He narrated almost the whole thing! LOL

I agree, UBL is dead. My beef is making it "too" hollywood which I find disrespectful to the SEALS. I guess my problem was that I watched two or three 'real' documentaries on the subject and read Mark Owens book so I just found this one too "fictional" for my taste after watching the others. I suppose since I was in the Navy and have had some exposure to these guys, an analogy to me would be watching a movie on sportbikes and everyone was riding a Harley LOL They tried to put "personalities" on the SEALS but the personalities they gave them were all wrong. I find that a disservice to them.

Mel

I would have to agree with Dale. I too am a vet, but more current is my work that allows me to interact with the SEAL teams. I have done several demos down in Coronado at their base and spent quite a bit of time hanging out with these guys. Cool dudes and nothing like Hollywood portrays them, except maybe Act of Valor that used real SEALS instead of actors. I know AJ (the black dude) that played in Act of Valor, and he is a funny guy :). All the Hollywood shit is just entertainment and you really have to watch it with that frame of mind.

Mel

n10sive

Quote from: Mel on November 06, 2012, 11:35:24 AM
I know AJ (the black dude) that played in Act of Valor, and he is a funny guy :). All the Hollywood shit is just entertainment and you really have to watch it with that frame of mind.

Cool. I guy I know was team leader for 5 and 7, and was in charge of the "special boat" crews during the filming of the river scenes (he's an 0-4 now). The guy is the mellowist, cool persons you would ever meet. So unassuming. Shakes MY hand and THANKS ME for my service...even though he has two bronze stars and a purple heart *shocker*