Main Menu

HELP!! Anybody know the camping policies at Laguna Seca?

Started by GreenMachine, July 19, 2011, 07:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I've finding no information on how many vehicles are allowed per campsite.  Skydiverdcm has an RV camp site reserved and his intention is to bring along an enclosed trailer which we can haul up to 4 bikes in.  Does anybody know if this is permissible?

I hate surprises.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

youngster775

I do believe you can bring all the bikes you want, just have to get in where you fit in. such a crowded place...
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

GreenMachine

I found an official Mazda Raceway page that was taken offline.  Its rules sound strict, but everybody I've talked to says otherwise.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

CptnHornblower

What do you need to know? Am I too late?

We were at the races too.
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

A DRAGON

In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

And just like the different examples we have here, it was the same when we got there.  There was no structure to what people were told.  Some people said General Admission tickets were allowed for the previous day after 6PM, others said no, 7PM.  Some said you could have an RV and one support vehicle, others said no, only one support vehicle with two wheels (meaning one motorcycle or trailer), while their advance ticket purchase page said:

RV SITES ARE LIMITED TO EIGHT ( 8 ) PEOPLE AND FOUR (4) PEOPLE FOR TENT SITES.  SUPPORT VEHICLE IS ONE VEHICLE OR 2 MOTORCYCLES.  NO ADDITIONAL VEHICLES/MOTORCYCLES WILL BE ALLOWED IN ANY GENERAL CAMPING AREA.  THIS POLICY WILL BE ENFORCED. THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT PARKING IN THE FACILITY.  YOU MUST BE WITHIN YOUR CAMPSITE AS PERMITTED. EVERYONE IN CAMPSITE MUST HAVE AN ADMISSION TICKET FOR THE DURATION OF THE EVENT. Most prices listed are Advance only." (verbatim)

And the people at the gate said unequivocally, that was untrue.  That's not what it says on our Web site.  And since they are the gate keepers, they hold your admission hostage unless you met their demands, which always ended in 'you can buy a ticket.'  

One day they let 'Campers' with General Admission tickets park at the track, the next they only let certain campers park at the track, while turning others away, but letting GA riders riding in from outside the event park for free.  I know, because my buddy who paid $30 for a Costco Sunday GA ticket rode his bike in and laughed at how abusively they treated us with the same GA ticket or more expensive ticket, depending on who's ticket you were taking about.

When I arrived at 6PM on Friday I was told I would have to buy my own three day camping pass for $120 on top of GA tickets for Saturday & Sunday, then I was told I could just buy a Saturday ticket, but when I paid for my ticket, they sold me a Friday GA ticket which had already expired, so I paid $50 for squat!  Had I left the raceway that evening for any reason I would have been turned away and forced to buy another ticket.  Thankfully we were all busy getting camp set up and were tired enough from riding all day.  So at the time, I didn't even look the ticket I had purchased.  I thought they were selling me the Saturday GA ticket they said was okay for after 6PM on Friday.  Obviously, on Saturday when I attempted to enter the track I was turned away and there was no recourse.  I could pay for Saturday's GA ticket A-G-A-I-N, but I was so fuming pissed, I just told them this was the lousiest, most confusing and disorganized race event I had ever experienced.  Besides, I had already planned on half daying Saturday, watching Saturday practice and riding Hwy 1 in the afternoon.  By the time I went through 'you can talk to that person and that person and that person,' it was already 9:30, so instead I got an early start on my ride....BUT only after I made sure that they'd let me into the track again with my Sunday GA ticket later that evening, so I could camp with the people I came with.  A Kathy Hilliker told me I would be allowed back in.  When I asked her if I could have that in writing she said "absolutely not!  If you want a guarantee, you can buy a Saturday GA ticket and bring in your Sunday GA ticket."  So basically I was at the mercy of whomever I spoke to after 6PM or 7PM depending and whether or not they would permit me to enter.  Ironically enough, when I reentered at 10PM on Saturday after Bike Night on Cannery Row, the gate people just waved everyone in without checking whether or not we had GA tickets or Camping wristbands or not.   >:(

But even after all of that crap, the parts of the trip I remember most were being there with friends, riding, taking nice pictures at Alice's Restaurant and along Hwy 1, pulling pranks and having a great time watching the best riders in the world do their thing on two wheels.  It was a great trip!

Can't say if I'd like to go back to Laguna Seca next year.  Probably not, just out of principle.  Infineon or any other venue?  Sure!  They're organized and structured, even friendly.  Laguna Seca?  T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E!!  Worst race facility experience ever!

GreenMachine

Quote from: A DRAGON on July 26, 2011, 11:01:31 PM
Where's the pictures GM?
Damn, the natives are getting restless!  I didn't take a ton of pictures this time while at the track.  I ended up burning up my batteries on Hwy 1 during Saturday's Big Sur ride.

I'll post up a few of the track pics later.

GreenMachine

From the few pictures that were taken, at least that anyone on this forum might remotely care about, here are a few from this past weekend.  The first series is Skydiver_DCM and I going down to Alice's Restaurant and one of many bridges below Big Sur.  The second and third series of pictures were taken Sunday morning during the MotoGP morning warm up practice session.  I intentionally took the last set of stills to get a feeling for motion as opposed to everything in the picture being still.  Now I kind of wish I would have followed the bike to make the background blur.  Hmmm.  Next time.  ;)