Main Menu

"Straight talk about Track Days"

Started by Justin, June 18, 2009, 12:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team Gorgonzola

Myth # 8 (this is a large Myth so it takes two positions) : I eat way too much pasta to do a trackday.

First you can never eat too much pasta, BELIEVE ME!; second, I consider a trackday a great workout, and a great motivator to get in shape, so I can hang or even pass the Dragon when is riding the SV  ;D
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

n10sive

Myth #9 I'm too old

I am 50, and a youngster compared to Ron who only recently stopped doing trackdays in his 70's. I also found out you can still crash and do OK. Except it takes a bit longer to heal :)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Dragone

hahaha, I got a myth, but I need to find the number for it.

Justin

Quote from: Dragone on June 24, 2009, 09:21:56 PM
hahaha, I got a myth, but I need to find the number for it.

Myth #114, I think

Justin

Myth #115
  I'm going to feel "out-gunned" because I don't have the experience.

It is easy to feel overwhelmed if it's your first time.  I promise you, it has everything to do with who you are with.
  Come out with us on one of our days, and pit with me.  I'll make sure you have the support and camaraderie that makes riding at the track so incredibly awesome.  I'll be happy to introduce you to everyone I know and hook you up with right people that have the answers to your questions.  We are easily the most supportive and friendly bunch I've come across (on 2 coasts with 7 different organizations) 
I'm serious!  The only thing better than a day at the track is sharing it with others.

A DRAGON

In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Adiggity

Justin

Cut and pasted Adiggity's link

Top 10 reasons why you won't ride on the track:

10. I don't have Leathers.
A new set of leathers cost from $300-$3,000 dollars.   A good set will last several years and there is a couple of companies that sell used leathers and let you trade old ones in.
Denied.

9. I don't have boots.
Over the ankle work boots can be used in a pinch.  Chaparral has many different brands and styles that sell for as low as $60 per pair.  If you care about your ankles, pony up and get a pair.
Next

8. I don't have a way to get up to the track.
Everybody has a friend with a truck. Trust me, I have a truck and I have lots of "friends".  U-hauls rent for as low as $19.95/day + Mileage and cargo vans are even less.  Worse comes to worse, ride up.  Just don't crash. It's a long way to push a bike.
Keep trying.

7. I'm worried about my bodywork if I crash.
A set of sliders are about $100 or less. Where are you most likely to crash?  Around a blind canyon road with dirt in the middle or a track that is swept clean.
Nope, next.

6. I'll be the slowest guy out there.
Who cares? It's not a race. Chances are you won't be the slowest out there.  And you probably won't be the fastest either.  There's always someone slower or faster then you. Just ride in the group with similar skill level as yours.
Don't think so.  Nice try though.

5. I don't ride a Sportbike.
So.  Get passed once by a guy on Super Motard on the outside of corner, and you quickly realize it's not the bike, but the rider.
Good try.

4. It's too expensive.
With track day prices as low as $100 a day, it's the most fun you can have legally (except for Pahrump, NV).
Nuff said.

3. It's to far to the track.
BS.  People in other states travel 12 hours or more sometimes just to get to a close track. Willow Springs, Button Willow or California Speedway are all within a few hours of anywhere in SoCal. Take advantage of the location in which we live.
Running low on excuses now.

2. I can't get the day off.
Many track days are now running on weekends.
Next.

1. Why should I pay to ride someplace?  I can just ride the canyons.

Sure you can ride the canyons. One speeding ticket is more then one track day. An ambulance ride cost more then two track days. A insurance deductible is more then 3 track days.  Crash in the canyons, total your bike and get a ticket all in the same day (easily done) and you could have bought a set of leathers, boots and a track day.