Main Menu

"Straight talk about Track Days"

Started by Justin, June 18, 2009, 12:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

There are a BUNCH of new members around, and that's awesome.  I'm psyched! 
One of the things we really like doing, and sharing as a group, are track days.
I remember my first track day (Thanks Captain!) and I remember being nervous about it.

I want to start a post where we can dispel myths about track days, and perhaps share how it's made us better, safer, even smarter motorcyclists.

I think of a story Jerome shared with me of how he avoided an accident on the street because of what he learned on the track.  He swerved hard left and countered before applying a fistful of brake. Jerome came to a stop next to the car (front axle at her bumper)
  I bet he saved himself $300 in front end repairs to his SV, plus $1000 to the driver, plus a possible ticket, plus increase in insurance. (He wouldn't have any medical expenses or missed days of work because he's actually made of titanium, but that is beside the point) 
  I know that the track has saved my arse because the track trains my brain to think and process faster, which is a huge advantage in traffic. I am WAY more calm and looking farther down the road than ever before.

Feel free to share your story (or dispel a concern) so we can share the fun at RFR, Infineon, Miller, Laguna, and Thunderhill with everyone.

Ride safe,
  Tino

Myth # 1
The track is only for people who want to race motorcycles

reno240sx

Myth #2: The track is only for fast guys with a lot of riding experience.

I have talked to people who are intimidated about going to the track because they have 'chicken strips' on their tires and haven't been riding long. They are scared they will be too slow and get in the way.

I did my first track day about a year after I first swung a leg over a motorcycle. When I pulled up to RFR for my first trackday I barely knew anybody and was pretty nervous that I was going to be the slow guy who got in everyones way. As I went through the pits I was embarassed because my tires had chicken strips and my knee pucks were in perfect conditions. Even before the first session I quickly found out that nobody cared about how fast you were. People were just happy that I was out there for my first trackday. As the day went on nobody asked me how fast I was going. Everyone asked the same things, "Are you having fun?" and "Do you need any help?"

At the end of that first day I was a thousand times more confident in my riding skills. I realized that I can brake twice as hard as I thought, and was taking corners twice as fast as I was in the morning. I learned more in one day at the track than in months of riding the street.

trent

Myth #3  You have to drag knee at the track..

I have been to several track days now and still have not touched down yet. I see improvment every time I go to the track and that is good enough for me. I only need to be faster than 1 guy out there and thats myself.

I know that my street skills have improved dramatically because of track days too. Im riding almost daily now down in So Cal and my skills are tested every time I get on my bike. Im almost to the point of giving up street riding down here but I see the things Ive learned at the track almost every day now..

Enjoy the track and keep an open mind. Dont go there thiking you have to be fast..
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Adiggity

Great thread......Tino??..??..?? Sounds like some kind of Italian Mafia wise guy.......

Back to the point of the thread. I did my very first trackday in 2003 with the SSA at Thill, about 4 months after I had bought my first street bike and only been on a hand full of rides and absolutely never been on the track. I was very new to the street and was a little nervous about having to meet some type of expectation from my piers. Luckily I was there with some people who I knew and had ridden with before and they all helped reassure me to "ride your own pace and don't worry about anyone else". Needless to say I had one of the best times of my life and had a huge smile all day long. Never even came close to touching my knee but I fell in love with my motorcycle and the track. It gave me a whole new perspective about the capabilities and fun you can have on a road bike. (my best lap time was like 2:23 if anyone is wondering)

Just last year I went on a ride with the SSA to the coast and back in one day. On the way back one of the guys had a video recorder and we wanted to get some cool "close up" footage. So I was following him way too close for the street when all of the sudden he came in too hot for the corner we were approaching and decided to get on the brakes. I was not expecting it and had two choices, either brake while leaned over or stand it up and go over the double yellow line to avoid hitting him. I guess I had the choice to hit him, but I didn't even give that option a thought. Now because of my experience from the track I didn't hesitate to just get on the brakes a bit and I was able to slow down without any mishaps and just about then a car came around the bend in the other direction. I have no doubts in my mind that had that incident happened prior to my track experience I would have gone over the yellow line to avoid hitting him and gotten in a head on with that car because I wouldn't have had the confidence in the bike to not crash. You can't brake hard while leaned over!!... Well, you can, you just have to know how much is ok and how much is too much. I would've never known without all of my track riding. There is no better place to learn the limits of your bike and the limits of yourself than the track. I don't believe you need any type of experience or knowledge before going to the track. If I had a child and wanted them to learn how to ride a bike. I would MUCH rather start them out on a race track than out on the street. I am not kidding about that. The track in my opinion is 100 times safer and a lot more fun too. It is not the crash that hurts you when riding road bikes (as long as you have the right gear on), it is what stops you that usually hurts you. On the street there is a whole hell of a lot more things to hit. Tracks are made with the idea that you will crash so you have run off. Also on the street you have the unknowns that can cause you to crash when you had nothing to do with it. That is little to none on a race track. You are only taking away from yourself by not going to the track to learn your riding potential and your bikes potential. And believe me, you will continue to be amazed at what can be done on a "crotch rocket"  :D

Another thing to add about the "Myth #2" post. The major majority of people that I have come in contact with at the track from my very first trackday until now have all been very cool people who could care less how fast you are or weather you are dragging knee or not. They are all having a great time and just like to share stories and laughs with the people around them who have a common passion. I always love to see the smiles on the faces of all the people there, especially from the new guys because they usually have the biggest ones! It is what really puts the icing on the cake for me when it comes to being at the track. I would like to see every motorcycle rider experience that feeling. If you haven't been to the track, bring your a$$!! You won't regret it!  :)

JENX!!!

MYTH.......I cant do a trackday cause i dont have a suit and cant spend $1000 to buy one
There are PLENTY of cheap used suits available on forums., just need to look a round., also some shops even rents them out.
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Adiggity

Quote from: JENX!!! on June 18, 2009, 09:13:13 AM
MYTH.......I cant do a trackday cause i dont have a suit and cant spend $1000 to buy one
There are PLENTY of cheap used suits available on forums., just need to look a round., also some shops even rents them out.
This one always makes me laugh and slap my forehead at the same time. First of all, I don't see how you can look at it as an expense. You are literally buying insurance for your skin. It's an investment. That would almost be like saying, "I don't want to get a helmet because they are just too much money." How many times have you heard the phrase, "it's not if your going to crash, it's when". Sure there are people riding bikes that have never crashed, but it usually is just a matter of time before the dreaded spill happens. Why not increase your odds of walking away unscathed?! If you ride a road bike you should have good gear regardless if your planning on being on the track or not. And you can't get any better gear than leathers. Why do you think racers wear them? If you ever crash anywhere you will wish you had a full set of leathers on! Road rash hurts and makes horrible scars. IMO, you should have leathers for Sunday rides. I have friends who walk and breathe today because they were wearing full gear in bad accidents on the street. I also have friends that got hurt pretty badly in pretty minor accidents because they weren't wearing gear. To me good gear is a no brainer.

Adiggity

trent

There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

JENX!!!

^^ hahahha i got dibs on this spidi suite ;D
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

quinn

have you seen jenx suit?  its been crashed a lot. he needs to buy my suit.

Dandelion

Myth # 4   I can't take my street bike to the track.

It doesn't matter if it's a motard a Goldwing or a Harley Davidson.  You can take any bike to the track.  There are a couple of rules for track prepping your bike depending on the provider.  Mostly they are no mirrors, no working lights and no anti-freeze because of problems they create for yourself or other riders.  However, track prepping your bike is usually just removing some fuses, mirrors, and putting water in for coolant.  Or as we say "run what you brung."  If you don't know how to track prep your bike there are riders who can help do so once you get to the track.

Justin

Fewer and fewer providers require swapping out coolant for water(even though coolant is a slippery as ice) It is highly suggested, however.  I switched because I'd hate to screw up the track for my fellow enthusiasts, or for the cars that may be out the next day.  It takes a huge amount of water to rinse coolant off the track.  RFR doesn't have trackside running water, so we'd all have to go urinate on the spill. . . I don't feel like getting my leathers splashed with your urine. 

Justin

Myth #5
I'll need plastic surgery to remove the smile from my face after my first track day

.  .  .  Oh wait.  .  .
That's not a myth, merely slight exaggeration. ;)

jusTINO

cobra23

Cool Thread Idea....

Ive been riding since 1974, yep some of you fellas was'nt even borned yet..

I should have done a track day about 1982, I could have been real fast back then, but thats what they all say right?

Instead, I rode very fast on the highways of Washington State. I have been very blessed, not having a "Bad one" in all that time. Had several close calls, like launching off the road at 75 MPH, into a wheatfield to avoid a head on into a Kenworth. Yes sir that is one hood orniment I will never forget....very close. I rode it out in the wheat field, was airborne for quite some time. After getting stopped, I turned around to find several concernend motorrists stopped, yea that was a bad day.

Jerome, I credit him for getting me to do a track day. Last year, he encouraged me. Good folks on the track. No matter what your riding skill level is you'll have fun. No ego trips allowed!!

No Kenworth Trucks allowed (on the track) either, much safer.. ;D

If you are thinking about a track day...do it!

Myth..it's too expensive...

Reality..

You can pay for a set of leathers, and the track day with the money you'll spend on the first big speeding ticket you get, and the higher insurance rates that follow.

Cobra 23 ..... out.

A DRAGON

Myth #6  I don't want to crash My bike.  :'(

No one has ever said I'm going to go on this new road and crash my Bike I'm sure.
You won't ride your bike on the track no faster or harder than you do on the street the first time. It's a road your not familiar  with. You don't know which way the road turns, or elevation changes your going to encounter and the cambers I'm sure will not be known either.  You don't want to ever ride over your head or beyond your abilities. That's something you don't do when your out on your bike when your on the street? So why would you do that on the Race Track? With out a doubt Never take a bike to the Track you can't Toss. On the other hand do you say "I'm not going to ride my wonderful bike on the street because I'm afraid to crash it?"  What did you buy it for?

Their are so many more obstacles and variables on the street. Than their are on the Track. Having a bike you won't take to the track is like buying a $10,000 dollar Hooker to take to a party to show her off. After the party you drop her off at her home and wave goodbye and watch her go to the front door.

If I get one that costs me that much money. You can be sure I'm going to get my monies worth. Your Bike likes to be driven hard. That's what they were intended for. They are nothing but race bikes with Head lights. Where else would you test your limits and your machines? Just ride at the speed you feel comfortable and you'll be alright. That's why at the track you generally remove mirrors and tape over speedometers. You don't want to use either one or even look at one while your on the track.

It seems that after you ride the track and understand what you just exposed yourself to you have to make the choice. Should I ride only Track? Only you can answer that Question. I really enjoy the track. It's actually more fun than the street for riding my bike. It's hard to believe that on 9% of motorcycles ever see the track. According to a test done by Yamaha. That just boggles my mind. :-\ 

I have to also admit that some of the best days of my life have come on a Motorcycle and most of them have been at the Track.

Imagine going to a twisty road camping at one end with your friends. Put up a pop up tent, Food and beverages. ( Not Alcohol ) doing that road over and over again till you get tired. You will know every turn on that road and every camber and elevation change. The only problem you would run into is the traffic would change every time you do it. Now imagine that road with floggers at every turn to warn you of hazards and no Traffic going the opposite way. That's the TRACK!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! what a concept. We all have ridden on the street and came to our favorite section of road and had some other Vehicle only get in our way. Then we say"If only there wasn't any traffic this would have been so wonderful. " Now their you are. Take that Hooker out and Use her for what she likes.

My Italian machine just loves the Track and I love being on her. But the cost is more than I can afford so I had to buy a bike for Track only. My Italian bike is now ridden harder than I have ever ridden it. Thanks to my GSXR750.  My SV650 I really appreciate how it taught me  to keep the gas on longer and carry more speed into a turn. I now use all my rear tyre on my bikes before I replace it. I really like getting my monies worth out of those tyres.

Excellant Thread Justino. Thanks ;D
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750