Main Menu

Watch out on the Streets

Started by 2wcp, April 22, 2009, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2wcp

Hey guys, I got word from a friend that the local law agencies have been given a grant for Pulling motorcycles over. Soon after I heard that I called another buddy to warn him and he said he got a ticket on 395 for not using his turn signal to change lanes. $145 ticket. So just be aware and watch out.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

yzinger

Im not positive, Mike may know better, but I don't think they can target bikes specifically. It might be worded differently to bypass that issue of profiling, but im not sure. When I go into work tommorow I will see if I can dig up anything on the grant...

SPL

2wcp is correct!
I heard the same crap from another law enforcement guy.  Something like 20k in overtime specifically for motorcycles. Just dont break the law and you will be fine.
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

n10sive

haha...I yelled at a NHP for sitting there ready to make a left hand turn with no signal on. I pulled up along side of him, his passenger window was ajar so I yelled "Where's your turn signal!" He looked at me all stunned as I turned the corner and went on my way. I don't know if he turned it on after that and he didn't chase me (thankfully). Slight satisfaction that I got that day, if this story is true, I'll be pulling his ass over next time and writing a complaint about HIM!  >:(
:D
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Yard Sale

Ride like every automobile driver's main desire is to crash into you and every cop's or trooper's main desire is to pull you over, extort money from you, and/or put you in prison.

As a re-entry rider who took twelve years off riding on the street, the attention received while riding a bike was an eye-opener.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

yzinger

Quote from: n10sive on April 23, 2009, 12:14:25 PM
haha...I yelled at a NHP for sitting there ready to make a left hand turn with no signal on. I pulled up along side of him, his passenger window was ajar so I yelled "Where's your turn signal!" He looked at me all stunned as I turned the corner and went on my way. I don't know if he turned it on after that and he didn't chase me (thankfully). Slight satisfaction that I got that day, if this story is true, I'll be pulling his ass over next time and writing a complaint about HIM!  >:(
:D

Dude I got a funny look from laughing out loud in class at this!!! Your awesome man!

Sheldontoxicman

Quote from: Yard Sale on April 23, 2009, 12:45:38 PM
Ride like every automobile driver's main desire is to crash into you and every cop's or trooper's main desire is to pull you over, extort money from you, and/or put you in prison.

As a re-entry rider who took twelve years off riding on the street, the attention received while riding a bike was an eye-opener.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

Totally agree with you Yardsale.

cobra23

Ok fellas LEO's are people too.

I have a suggestion, hopefully Jerome picks this up.

We need to contact NHP and tell them we are noticing the extra attention and would like to be a part of "Policing Our own".

I personally beieve if you are being stupid on the street you need to get educated. I ride like a crazy man sometimes, but only when there is no traffic, no traffic means no police either. I recall an idea last summer something like setting up an ez up on the V.C. highway to talk to the youngsters (squids) about being responsible on two wheels, and inviting them to do a track day.

With some good communication skills, I think we could have a positive impact on a situation that needs some.

Coming from a small town, the Police generally knew who rode responsibly and who did not. I was pretty cool in town, and if i messed up they just told me to slow down, take it easy no ticket. I was not always so bright, at 18 I was pretty much speeding all the time, and every time I got pulled over I got a ticket.

It's all about responsibilty. We can help.

I would be willing to volunteer to ehlp with that, and would enjoy it.

Any others?

yzinger

In a heartbeat, I would volunteer. They do these types of campaigns in SO CAL all the time. I think you should email Jerome, or talk to Alan or Andy, and we should look into this. I would be more then willing to volunteer every week. If we can talk with Storey Sheriff, Carson, and NHP, maybe we can make sure everyone has fun, while still being safe. Let me know if you need me to do anything. I know a few people ;-)

twnchx

So this is what I heard from my Lieutenant regarding this issue along with other patrol officers.
The overtime that is being funded by grant money is for DUI purposes and speed reduction saturation patrol, which just means there are more patrol officers in a given area compared to being spread out. There is no overtime for specific officers to just be going after motrocyclists. It is true that there is a focus on motorcyclists but what the goal is, is for educating those people out there that think riding in a skull cap, shorts, and sandals is a safe idea of proper riding gear. This focus tends to happen every year around this time as the weather gets nicer and the bike rallys. They also will be targetting those who tend to be more of an aggressive rider, excessive speeds, and mainly enforcing the helmet law. So those who like the  skull caps, I would recommend finding another helmet. My recommendation is to not ride in such a fashion to draw more attention to you. Granted many officers are aware that those going 80-90mph can be going much faster and much rather find out why the person in a POS pinto is going that speed rather than a motorcyclist.

oldBolt

Quote from: twnchx on April 24, 2009, 02:59:53 AM
It is true that there is a focus on motorcyclists but what the goal is, is for educating those people out there that think riding in a skull cap, shorts, and sandals is a safe idea of proper riding gear.

Is this against the law?  Stupid yes, but is it against the law?

I see most of the Reno PD motor bike cops wearing the flip up style full face helmets in the up position while riding there patrol bikes.  Modular helmets are designed to be worn in the closed position for riding.  Maybe they should use this money to educate themselves first. Seems to me to be just another disguise to profile and stop people without cause. "Where are your papers" will be next.  If you don't protect your freedoms and liberties soon we won't have them.

Having the SSA work with the local authorities to educate individuals on better motorcycle safety practices is a good idea.  Having a cop pull you over to discuss this is not.  Whats next my eating habits, my voting preferences, the types of women I like.  When does it stop.
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

twnchx

Skull cap- yes against the law as for the rest just plain stupidity. I agree that it shouldn't be up to officers to educate fellow motorists and that trying to work with LE would be a great idea. I have an e-mail out to a few of the patrol lieutenants with the sheriff's department in regards to the possibility of some sort of collaboration between SSA and the local authorities to see as to what can be done, along with concerns with the overall profiling issue. I will hopefully have some sort of answer tonight when I get back to work...

yzinger

I personally have no problem with police pulling someone over for failure to blink, or yield, or something, and then give them a warning and tell them to find some appropriate riding gear. Making a fashion statement is just plain stupid and can end up making you look rediculous down the road. Justine gimmie a call, I'm at so

Adiggity

Quote from: cobra23 on April 23, 2009, 09:58:07 PM
Ok fellas LEO's are people too.

I have a suggestion, hopefully Jerome picks this up.

We need to contact NHP and tell them we are noticing the extra attention and would like to be a part of "Policing Our own".

I personally beieve if you are being stupid on the street you need to get educated. I ride like a crazy man sometimes, but only when there is no traffic, no traffic means no police either. I recall an idea last summer something like setting up an ez up on the V.C. highway to talk to the youngsters (squids) about being responsible on two wheels, and inviting them to do a track day.

With some good communication skills, I think we could have a positive impact on a situation that needs some.

Coming from a small town, the Police generally knew who rode responsibly and who did not. I was pretty cool in town, and if i messed up they just told me to slow down, take it easy no ticket. I was not always so bright, at 18 I was pretty much speeding all the time, and every time I got pulled over I got a ticket.

It's all about responsibilty. We can help.

I would be willing to volunteer to ehlp with that, and would enjoy it.

Any others?

This has been brought up in the past and Jerome has gotten some contact info for the Reno PD and Storey Co. PD. He was looking at either V.C. or maybe somewhere on McCarran. He is looking into it and we will inform all of y'all what is going on as we get more info. Great idea. Thanks for reminding me of this.  :)

99 900ss duc

skull cap style helmets are not DOT approved so therefore illegal to wear.
as far as the modular helmet worn in the up position, as long as they have a windshield the eyeprotection is in place so it is no different than wearing an open face helmet.