Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Exhaust wrap

Started by Rolando33, January 20, 2009, 11:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolando33

Anyone applied that asbestos laced tape-wrap to their exhaust system before?  Any pieces of advice would be SUPER helpful.  Thanks in advance,    Roland

Yard Sale

When it gets wet it will stay wet and rust the pipe.

Adiggity

I don't know if that is the same stuff as what I am about to talk about, but there was a guy at a trackday that had some "heat shield" type tape on his exhaust and it caught fire and burned his bike almost to the ground after the tape caught fire. I would be careful on what you use and where you use it. (Like not around the seams of the exhaust system unless it is 100% non flammable)

Oneup

The asbestos wrap is non flammable.  Not sure which type is wrapped on my exhaust but I have had no issues with fire.

When wrapping the exhaust start by wrapping two wraps around the first end then half-lap it up the pipe until you reach the desired end point.  When you reach the end bring the last part of the wrap under the last wrap on the pipe like you are tying a knot.  It should resemble the first part of the knot you make when you tie your shoes.  Trim the end and then safety wire around the last not.  I usually do two or three wraps of safety wire when I wrap an exhaust pipe.  Also make sure the wrap is tight the entire way up or you will have lots of problems later on.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Team Gorgonzola

I wrapped mine and no fire, no staying-wet-and-rust situation (the exaust heat dries up anything), I simply went around and around, then either safety wire (beginning and end) or some kind od metal ties. Had it for 5+ years on and off the track. Help with the underseat tighs roasting exaust (Ducati 916SPS)
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

MotoPutz

I had no problem with mine either. Just make sure its a tight wrap job, use safety wire of metal tie wraps and mine had a silicone spray that needed to be baked on. I used mine to stop my passenger's shoes from melting.

Rolando33

Very good advice guys.  Graci!  Funny that Putz mentioned frying a shoe.  Just cooked a Sidi boot on my supermoto.  I was Super mad!!    Wrap should arrive tomorrow.  I will post pics of the results.

Justin

Oneup is right about the two laps around first.
I use that asbestos wrap on my genitals.  No problems so far. . . I'll keep you posted, though. ::)

n10sive

Quote from: Justino on January 23, 2009, 11:08:59 PM
I use that asbestos wrap on my genitals.  No problems so far. . . I'll keep you posted, though. ::)

I guess the nipple rings and pink shirt should have been our first clue that you had 'character' LOL
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Justin

Quote from: n10sive on January 24, 2009, 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: Justino on January 23, 2009, 11:08:59 PM

I guess the nipple rings and pink shirt should have been our first clue that you had 'character' LOL
Nipple rings=mine
Pink shirt=borrowed (lost a bet)
Asbestos= Safety first!