Main Menu

Fork oil or fluid???

Started by JENX!!!, November 04, 2008, 06:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Quote from: yzinger on November 06, 2008, 02:20:23 PM
It is at all hard to do? I should prob do mine...but am afraid  :(
Don't be skuurd...  :) No really, it's not hard to do but it is probably a good idea to have someone who knows how to do it show you how the first time. Where do you live?

MotoPutz

JENX!!!

If you just want to change the fluid...just undo the top cover, drain and refill....no need to take everything out. Just remember to write down your suspension settings for when you put them back together....
If you want to service it fully....heres a link from another forum.
http://www.r6central.com/forums/r6-how-guides/2480-how-service-forks.html

Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

yzinger

Quote from: Putz on November 06, 2008, 04:02:24 PM
At his mom's house!!

nice...haha, that is true. but it is my house! and she don' live her foo!

I am just north of the intersection of virginia and mccarren in reno

TWF

Quote from: JENX!!! on November 06, 2008, 05:40:43 PM
If you just want to change the fluid...just undo the top cover, drain and refill....no need to take everything out.
all that does is drain least contaminated oil.everything you want to get rid of will still be inside forks.
there is right way and half a ass way.

Adiggity

Quote from: yzinger on November 06, 2008, 05:57:48 PM
nice...haha, that is true. but it is my house! and she don' live her foo!

I am just north of the intersection of virginia and mccarren in reno
I have to service mine sometime this winter. If you want to come out to Fallon we could do them both at the same time. Or I could swing by sometime to help you out. Or you could take them to TWF. I think he knows how to do it.  ;)

Dragone

I asked traxxion on the AK-20's why the 7 wt.  "Because it is valved for that weight so stick with the 7 wt."

independent

Quote from: JENX!!! on November 06, 2008, 05:40:43 PM
If you just want to change the fluid...just undo the top cover, drain and refill....no need to take everything out.

Jenx, it would be a waste of time & good oil/fluid to not pull the cartridges out and clean them, if you're already pulling the forks off the bike to drain them.
You'd be surprised how much muck builds up in there!
The springs need to be removed to properly refill and set the oil/fluid level, anyway.

JENX!!!

im pulling my fork internals out to change my springs.....what should i use to clean them before reinstalling?
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Dragone

I like a clean parts washer with diesel.  But that maybe is just me.

reno240sx

I should probably do my forks sometime this winter too. If someone wouldn't mind I would like to watch them do it before I try.

n10sive

Quote from: reno240sx on November 10, 2008, 05:54:21 PM
I should probably do my forks sometime this winter too. If someone wouldn't mind I would like to watch them do it before I try.

me too! me too!  :D :D
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Yard Sale

I'm going to work on two pairs of GSXR forks soon.

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Justin

Quote from: TWF on November 06, 2008, 07:38:45 PM
all that does is drain least contaminated oil.everything you want to get rid of will still be inside forks.
there is right way and half a ass way.
Because I am twice as much as a standard half ass, I like to do the right way.
I am a full ass.