Main Menu

Fork oil or fluid???

Started by JENX!!!, November 04, 2008, 06:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JENX!!!

Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Justin

Rand

Oil comes in smaller containers.

trent

There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

n10sive

Fluid can be used in your blinkers too  ;)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

2wcp

Maxima says the Fork Fluid is a Racing Formula thats fade free and has zero drag. It has a Viscosity stable base. It is formulated to work with cartiridge forks.

The Fork Oil is supposed to be more equivalent to the Harley Davidson fork oil.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

Adiggity

The fork fluid has more additives in it to prevent what they refer to as "stiction" in more severe environments. They are both good, but for racing and things that require more performance from suspension components, the fluid is the way to go.

yzinger

thread jack: I heard the r6's like urs and mine adiggity, need fork fluid service quite regularly if you ride aggressive. This true?

NVKrawler

very true, the one and only dave moss says the 06-07 r6 needs to be changed and re done 2 times per year ideally. Mine have never been done and work fine though...

2wcp

Quote from: NVKrawler on November 06, 2008, 09:18:45 AM
very true, the one and only dave moss says the 06-07 r6 needs to be changed and re done 2 times per year ideally. Mine have never been done and work fine though...

You have to remember, just because they are working fine, doesn't mean there isn't aluminum floating around in the oil.
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

Yard Sale

Notice Maxima uses different methods to rate viscosity of the fork oil vs. the fork fluid. I have no idea what it means, just pointing it out.

I've had my TZ250 forks apart a few times during this track season of approximately 1,000 miles. Based on the contamination I saw I would change the fork oil once a season. I don't think how aggressive you ride means squat. The parts move and rub together and the oil gets contaminated by it, whether you are Spies or a squid.

2wcp

The R6 forks are different. And the more aggresive rider you are, the more the suspension is going to work. It has to do with parts moving up and down more. Just like how riding a smooth road compared to a bumpy road is going to be less rough on the suspension.

And on viscosity, every company rates their oil differently. A 5w from say Racetech could be equivilant to a 10w of Maxima.
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

jlavallee

I personally feel like unless you're racing like Andy then once a year is plenty. That's just my feeling.

Forget about bottle grade and look at what your manufacturer recommends. Yamaha actually listed a ohlins oil so because I couldn't place my hands on it I looked up the specs for kinematic viscosity and mixed up a ratio of 5w and 10w if I remember correctly. The Viscosity is given in centistokes (cSt). Viscosity in centistokes is usually given at two standard temperatures of 40°C and 100°C.

I find it funny that the numbers in the charts on Maxima's page are the same for the weights. That tells me it is primarially badging as if they made a significant chemical change, the rates would change.

Adiggity

Quote from: yzinger on November 05, 2008, 06:07:58 PM
thread jack: I heard the r6's like urs and mine adiggity, need fork fluid service quite regularly if you ride aggressive. This true?
They definitely need to be serviced more often if you ride aggressively. I rode probably around 5000 track miles this year and serviced mine 2 times. Once at the beginning and once half way through the season.

yzinger

It is at all hard to do? I should prob do mine...but am afraid  :(