Main Menu

Basic tools for general motorcycle maintenance.

Started by oldBolt, September 26, 2008, 05:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldBolt

Any suggestions on what I need to do the basics.
Oil, lube, change tires, remove mirrors...etc.  I own a Triumph S3 but plan on getting a used Japanese make in the near future as a dedicated track bike.  So I am guessing metric tools will do for both, but is there one band that is better (craftsman, snap-on, box store low end). And is there a kit out there that covers this or is it better or more cost effective just to buy pieces?  I don't know what I need. Suggestions on where to buy? Any books on the subject any one can suggest?  What do I need from the bike maker to address this, service manual for the model or is it called something else?

"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

JENX!!!

Ebay has plenty of maintenance manuals on CD's......very good to have whatever bike u end up getting....metric Allen wrench sets are always usefull for me....donno about brand names....I just get the ones they sell on cragen.....never have any issues with them., their cheap enough that if you brake it...can just go buy another one., Snapon will replace your worn and broken tools but are generally alot moe pricier to get.....
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Justin

Reciprocating saw, and a pack of 200 gauze pads. Make it two packs if you're taking any blood thinners.

Why don't you start off buying the service manual for your bike.  It shows the required tools needed for each job.
Others would "three way Hex wrenches" as well as hex socket set. (get good wrenches and sockets, or you strip things)
I think not enough people use torque wrenches.  2 sets of open-ended wrenches. I have one set of stubby and one with long handled.  Screw the 'low end' idea.  If you are going to have a dedicated track bike, you are going to be using tools a lot. 
I'd get a dremel (they are handy all over the house)  Everyone I know that has an air compressor loves them but it is probably premature at this point.  Medium Loc-tite, (BLUE LIQUID not high strength) and a metric motorcycle bolt kit (cycle gear)  I don't know what size your axle bolts are, but you will need those too.  (Your owners manual should state that)
Try to tackle jobs and see what you need.  I buy what I need when I need it and build the set.  This way I don't end up with a bunch of stuff I have no use for.   I can't wait to see others suggestions.
The service manual is definitely the place to start.  It is the same one the mechanic reads when they work on your bike (torque specifications on the bolt that keeps the liquid on the inside, or the bolt that holds your front brake lever)
I do as much as I can when it comes to working on my bike, because i know my life depends on how well I do it.
Does the 19 year old mechanic really have the same investment in my welfare??  Doubtful

Justin

bike chock (Baxley is the way to go it's 250, BVH has them. You will not regret buying this, I use mine in the garage, at the track and they are great for trailer and pickup truck transport) rear front and rear stand so you can get the wheels off.  (some say pit bull, but there are cheaper good ones)

trent

Might I suggest a front stand that lifts by the steering pin. Im not sure what they cost but I have the T-rex stands and they work fine also they are quite a bit cheaper than the pit bull ones. A GOOD set of Allen wrenches are a must as well as a set of metric combo wrenches.
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

BovineFreedom

1st thing you will need is a repair manual. You can pick them up at most of the shops around town. Try checking Amazon.com as well for one. The nut for your rear tire is also probably going to be a size thats to big to be included in a normal wrench set. Also the nut or bolt for your front sprocket is probably going to be a large size not included with normal wrench or socket sets(32mm is the front for my Bandit). I just bought a chain breaker/rivet tool and it is one of the best tools ever, I no longer have to monkey around with pliers, hammers, and clip type master links. For your Triumph the guys at Freedom Cycle are a good bunch of people.
Keep the rubber side down.

MotoPutz

Don't forget, 100mph tape and a hammer, and a air pressure gauge. Some needle nose pliers. Crashes happen. be prepared. Losts of zip ties!!!

jlavallee

If you're just starting out and want to get some basics I would advise you go to Sears and buy a Craftsman metric/sae set. I know you don't need SAE right now but at some point you will for something else and tools are MUCH cheaper in sets than piece by piece. You can probably get a decent set for $250 and then add the odd sizes/tools that you need.

Yes, snap on and Mac are often slimmer etc but Craftsman are tough and warranted for life. I know lots of mechanics who have the Mac speciality tools but started and keep their common base with Craftsman.

Look for a set with 1/4" and 3/8" drive complete with open/box end wrenches and allen key sockets. Blue loctite is a must and a torque wrench is a good idea.

Something like this would be a really good base, last you a lifetime and cover most of your needs.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934302000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

cobra23

1.  TOURQE WRENCH TOURQE WRENCH!!!!!!

2.   I have had about three impact drivers, finally spent the big bucks on a Snap on Impact driver, well worth it.

3.    Many fasteners on a new Jap bike have a chemical thread locker, a small butane torch releases the thread locker with no damage, just heat the bolt for a second or two and the thread lock will let go.

That is about two hundred dollars worth of tools thaat will save you many hardaches.

Adiggity

I would definitely recommend getting a good brand of tools. Don't get cheapies. Craftsman is a good affordable tool that is warrantied and also I think it is Home Depot that sells a brand called Woodward which is a good affordable tool that is warrantied.

You will need a set of metric allens (preferably sockets and wrenches)

I would get a T-handle that attaches to both 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets. (Those are awesome)

You will need metric sockets and ratchets. Deep and shallow. As for your bigger nuts, I would measure them and buy them specifically for your bike. The bigger sockets are a bit more money and usually you don't need all the sizes that come in the bigger sets.

Some extensions, screwdrivers, a dead blow hammer, a measuring device (I would recommend digital calipers capable of doing metric and standard measurements), funnel, oil filter wrench, wire cutters, pliers (both needle nose and regular) crescent wrench, if you want to get really crazy, one of those dremel tools and a chain break tool (RK) are always good to have.

Dragone

I have a hodge podge of tools, but the craftsman or snap on is primarily in the boxes.  Stuff like a 17mm allen or something similar is normally obtained at msc or the like (since it is only used a few times).