Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

New rider to the sport

Started by jayrexer, November 15, 2015, 04:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayrexer

Hello everyone! My name is John and I just got into riding motorcycles in April. I currently ride a Yamaha FZ-07. I've always been into action type sports. Rode BMX bikes for a while back when I was younger and really liked that. I'm glad to have found this local forum and can't wait till I'm able to meet some of you guys in person!

slmoto

Welcome.

From the sounds of it I was just about in the same spot as you about a year ago. Riding with these guys have helped me progress a lot.

Pretty much the off season right now for the most part but look forward to meeting you out there on a ride when the weather comes back around.

jayrexer

Quote from: slmoto on November 15, 2015, 04:42:42 PM
Welcome.

From the sounds of it I was just about in the same spot as you about a year ago. Riding with these guys have helped me progress a lot.

Pretty much the off season right now for the most part but look forward to meeting you out there on a ride when the weather comes back around.

Thanks!

Yeah. I try to ride whenever I can unless the weather is similar to what is going on right now.

I found this forum when trying to find a place locally to do a track day and learn how it works.

RichVee4

Welcome.  Looking forward to meeting you on a ride next year.   If you are interested there are some very good books that cover mc techniques that would be good reads in the off season.    I have about 5 years experience but never had a formal mc training so have picked up a lot of good techniques from reading.    Riding skill is a continuous learning curve and the more educated you are the safer you will be. 
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Welcome!
The most local place you can do a track day is about 3+ hours away at thunderhill. But the drive is definitely worth it. Keigwins only has a couple events left this season, but watch out for the 2016 schedule soon. http://www.keigwin.com/events_schedule.php

Historically, most of the new people who join this forum in the off season we never hear from again come spring. If you actually show up for a ride with us in summer 2016 I'll buy you lunch.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on November 16, 2015, 06:58:22 AM
Welcome.  Looking forward to meeting you on a ride next year....

Quote from: dub on November 16, 2015, 01:43:32 PM...Historically, most of the new people who join this forum in the off season we never hear from again come spring. If you actually show up for a ride with us in summer 2016 I'll buy you lunch.
Totally jealous!   :-\

Neither of you look forward to riding with me or buying me lunch.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

jayrexer

Quote from: RichVee4 on November 16, 2015, 06:58:22 AM
Welcome.  Looking forward to meeting you on a ride next year.   If you are interested there are some very good books that cover mc techniques that would be good reads in the off season.    I have about 5 years experience but never had a formal mc training so have picked up a lot of good techniques from reading.    Riding skill is a continuous learning curve and the more educated you are the safer you will be. 

Thanks! I look forward to riding with some guys that have similar interests as well. I have watched the "A Twist of the Wrist" video selection to get some basics down for riding. I took the MSF beginners course in March of this year as well.

jayrexer

Quote from: dub on November 16, 2015, 01:43:32 PM
Welcome!
The most local place you can do a track day is about 3+ hours away at thunderhill. But the drive is definitely worth it. Keigwins only has a couple events left this season, but watch out for the 2016 schedule soon. http://www.keigwin.com/events_schedule.php

Historically, most of the new people who join this forum in the off season we never hear from again come spring. If you actually show up for a ride with us in summer 2016 I'll buy you lunch.

Sweet! I guess I would have to ride out there and do the track day as I have no way of transporting my bike currently...

Well it sounds like we will be meeting up for lunch in the near future  :angel

RichVee4

Good to hear you did the MSF course.  My wife and son did the MSF a few years back and we've done a lot of riding together since.  For starters a good read is Proficient Motorcycling.  Focuses mostly on defensive riding strategies and understanding where the risks are, more in the context of day to day riding than track.     Other popular books, A twist of the wrist and Total Control build on basics and provide good techniques to get you ready for your track day.   Most of the people on this forum have a lot of experience as well, so can help if you have any specific questions.

For me if I cant ride, due to winter, I am reading about riding or watching videos about riding to help pass the time until I can ride!

jayrexer

Quote from: RichVee4 on November 16, 2015, 07:23:51 PM
Good to hear you did the MSF course.  My wife and son did the MSF a few years back and we've done a lot of riding together since.  For starters a good read is Proficient Motorcycling.  Focuses mostly on defensive riding strategies and understanding where the risks are, more in the context of day to day riding than track.     Other popular books, A twist of the wrist and Total Control build on basics and provide good techniques to get you ready for your track day.   Most of the people on this forum have a lot of experience as well, so can help if you have any specific questions.

For me if I cant ride, due to winter, I am reading about riding or watching videos about riding to help pass the time until I can ride!

Thanks for the info! I will have to take a look into those for some winter reading if possible.

288RR

Welcome to the SSA.  Hope to catch you on a ride sometime

slmoto

288RR

Quote from: slmoto on November 17, 2015, 07:05:33 PM
Quote from: 288RR on November 17, 2015, 06:46:57 PM
Hope to catch you on a ride sometime

Same to you 288! ;D

Haha. Thanks SL.  I know this last year was a bad one for me.  I will get out this next year.  Will have to be a newb again....

RichVee4

Heck if 288 shows up for a ride next year I'll buy you lunch!

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019