Main Menu

Good Morning! Here is my new member intro ;)

Started by Phillip, July 23, 2015, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip

Hello,

My name is Phil and glad to have found like minded enthusiasts!  Been riding for as long as I can remember,  Started in sport bikes, went ;D the Harley route, the KLR route, and here I am back to where I feel at home.... on a sport bike!  Hope to meet some great people on the next group ride.  Looking forward to taking some trips to the track as well!

slmoto

Welcome.

I've been looking to add a KLR to the garage soon, looking for an adventure bike that won't break the bank, how'd you like them?

288RR

Phillip

Quote from: slmoto on July 23, 2015, 02:56:29 PM
Welcome.

I've been looking to add a KLR to the garage soon, looking for an adventure bike that won't break the bank, how'd you like them?

They are not bad.  I wanted to have something that would be good on gas for my work commute to Cabelas.  I was disappointed in the power of the KLR.  It was heavy and gutless in my opinion.  I guess for a recreational vehicle to putt putt in the hills it was OK.  I probably would not do it again.  Either get a street bike.... or get a dirt bike made for the street ( more so) like a DRZ.

slmoto

Quote from: Phillip on July 23, 2015, 09:51:31 PM

They are not bad.  I wanted to have something that would be good on gas for my work commute to Cabelas.  I was disappointed in the power of the KLR.  It was heavy and gutless in my opinion.  I guess for a recreational vehicle to putt putt in the hills it was OK.  I probably would not do it again.  Either get a street bike.... or get a dirt bike made for the street ( more so) like a DRZ.

Pretty consistent from what I've been reading so far but also what would be expected at that price point. I intend to keep my GSXR for the street and YZ426 for the dirt. I'm wanting something additional to putt around town, can carry some things and do some overnight back road/fire road trips around the area, eventually building up to longer trips.

Phillip

Pretty consistent from what I've been reading so far but also what would be expected at that price point. I intend to keep my GSXR for the street and YZ426 for the dirt. I'm wanting something additional to putt around town, can carry some things and do some overnight back road/fire road trips around the area, eventually building up to longer trips.
[/quote]

With that in mind. Definitely do able.  I had pelican cases, bars, and an aftermarket exhaust on it.  I guess I set my expectations a little too high..... same thing happened with the Harley,  I rode it like a sport bike.... The wind beat the hell out of my at 65mph.

Phillip

Are there any tracks around locally?  I would love to bring my closed track skills up.  Never have done it before.

GreenMachine

Welcome. 

There used to be a track near us, in Fernley, RFR.  It's closed for the most part now though.  The nearest track that I know of is in Willows.  Sears Point may be just as close.  Who knows?! 

Check out our ride schedule.  Those are the rides we put out there, but if you have something else you'd like to ride, we're open to suggestions.  Lots of different interests here too.  Only thing with the ride schedule is that most of our rides will take up the better part of your Sunday.  You'll see.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Phillip

RichVee4

Welcome to the SSA, looking forward to meeting you on a ride.  I rented a Harley once but wasn't for me.
Live long and prosper \V/