Main Menu

New member from Idaho via Las Vegas

Started by Vegasrider, June 27, 2015, 10:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

My name is Kenny and I'm no stranger to motorcycle forums so here's my bio. I will be moving to Reno over the 4th of July Weekend from Idaho.  After getting laid off, I accepted a job offer that starts out as a contractor's position for the first 3 months, and hopefully it will turn full time after that.  I'm in the aviation industry and will be working for a corporate jet service center located at RNO.  It all happened so fast, I have yet to find a place to live, I'm looking to rent a room or a 1 bedroom apt.  Not sure if I will be moving my belongings with me next week or just bring down the bear minimum and retrieve my stuff later after putting it in storage once I've had a chance to scope things out.  I'm really in a tough spot at the moment.  It's important I have a garage.  My bike is my only ride, I currently ride a FZ6 that I purchased new back in '07 when I lived down in Las Vegas where I also taught Motorcycle Safety under the Nevada Rider Program, but my MSF Rider Coach certification just expired a few months ago since I was not able to teach here in Idaho since they used their own curriculum.  I currently have 102k miles on the Fizzer.  I always wear my gear, and I'm a big fan of Motoport, in my opinion, it's  the best gear that I have come across.  I ride everyday, hot or cold and below freezing, rain or shine.  It appears that the weather in Reno is very similar to Boise, maybe not as cold.  It often got down to zero degrees here and it was never an issue for me thanks to heated gear!  I also had a Yamaha 225XT that I equipped with studded tires which allowed me to ride through the snow and freezing rain,  but I sold it thinking that was moving to a warmer climate.  In retrospect, I guess I should have kept it. Looking forward to meeting all of you! I'll be the bike with Idaho Plates!

RichVee4

Let me be the first to welcome you to the SSA and Reno area.    I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the riding opportunities in our area and great group of fellow riders.    The Mrs and I both ride, in fact she knows you from the Fz6 forum.  You'll fit right in on the Fz6 and even have another member with the same.    From your mileage, 102K you must take some longer trips on occasion.  If you look at the calendar the SSA does some longer day trips and on Memorial Day we did a 3 day trip to N CA and OR coast.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Live long and prosper \V/

288RR

slmoto

dub

Welcome. Nice intro. We're probably not hardcore enough for you. GreenMachine doesn't ride if it's too hot, or too cold, or it may rain, or there are pine needles on the road, or there may be thunderstorms, or there's holiday traffic, or if it's too windy, or if venus and mars are aligned.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Quote from: dub on June 28, 2015, 06:32:00 PM
GreenMachine doesn't ride if it's too hot, or too cold, or it may rain, or there are pine needles on the road, or there may be thunderstorms, or there's holiday traffic, or if it's too windy, or if venus and mars are aligned.

This made me laugh, I guess the truth is quite amusing... ;D

Vegasrider

Welcome. Nice intro. We're probably not hardcore enough for you. GreenMachine doesn't ride if it's too hot, or too cold, or it may rain, or there are pine needles on the road, or there may be thunderstorms, or there's holiday traffic, or if it's too windy, or if venus and mars are aligned.

Does he ride a Harley?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, even though I have yet to arrive.  I like the thought of living in downtown Reno, the Montage Condos look real nice. I would be fine with just a studio but even that is very pricey to rent.

flamecrow

Wow, welcome Kenny! I'm sure you will fit right in.

In regards to rent, my friend just moved into a complex that's $730-$750 for 1b/1b. Where I'm at, the complex is $980 for 1b/1b and +$75 if you want storage/garage. Rent and housing in Reno seems to be climbing slowly.

GreenMachine

:CoU Too hot, yeah, I don't like too hot.  Too cold, certainly don't like that.  Rain, forget it!  Don't like too many pine needles either.  Won't ride if there's a good chance of thunderstorms. Ride around them if stuck behind them.  Who does like holiday traffic?  But yeah, don't like that.  I'm not adverse to wind though.  Just don't want to be blown too far off my line in corners.  Straights don't matter.  But other than a few other things, I like to venture out on group rides whenever possible and prefer small to medium sized groups over large bike trains, unless every bike in the train is painted green.  Then it's acceptable.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

And :welcome2 2 the :flagSSA forum VR! Hope to see you on a ride soon.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

I'm glad I took the time to dig out my winter jacket that I had retired for the summer.  Burrrr....9000 feet less than 30 minutes from town, really?

Soaring above Incline Village.

I was amazed how clear the water was.

Traffic was stacked up in Lake Tahoe, lost my patience and turned around then realized I was in California and I could have been splitting all that time.  I ended going up State Hwy 207 and went though the town of Genoa and then through Carson City.  It was awfully windy between CS and Reno, is that normal?

dub

Quote from: Vegasrider on July 11, 2015, 06:20:23 PMI was amazed how clear the water was.

Beautiful, huh?

Quote from: Vegasrider on July 11, 2015, 06:20:23 PMIt was awfully windy between CS and Reno, is that normal?

Pretty much.

Come ride with us tomorrow, we'll show you some roads less traveled than around Tahoe.

Vegasrider

dub