Main Menu

weird coolant problem

Started by dmh2000, August 06, 2010, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmh2000

Need an opinion on a coolant problem. on my triumph speed triple 1050, when I shut it down, the coolant overflow reservoir fills up and dumps some coolant overboard, out the overflow tube. then about a minute later the level in the reservoir goes down normally. The bike doesn't run hot at all. After a few rides it stops because I'm guessing the coolant level is low enough that it doesn't fill any more. If I fill the radiator and fill the reservoir to 1/2 full it will happen again.

I'm guessing the radiator cap is the problem, that it is not holding the overflow valve closed.

any opinions?
dave

karneybo

yeah sound like that could be it the caps sticking open or it could be the thermostat too sticking.  How old the the bike 2009 or 2010?  When you fill it up what do you use.  Tap water or distilied water?
Carney

Dragone

Most likely the issue for sure.  Pressurize the system and verify that reasoning.  But generally a new cap is fairly cheap.

dmh2000

its a 2007 and it has Engine Ice in it.
dave

karneybo

when did you put the ICE coolent in it.
Carney

cobra23

Believe it or not, I solve problems for a living. Ok they are like Machine shop/ Foundry problems.

The cycle is the same for all of them, they just orbit around in my head, and bam sonetimes a solution comes up when you least expect it.

Have you tried bleeding the cooling system? Its generally a messy deal, some bikes have bleeder screws so it's not so messy. Basically without a bleeder screw just warm up the bike to operating temp without the radiator cap, the coolant will start bubbling around, as it heats up it will push the air out.

Once you have seen the coolant push up and out of the top of the radiator, shut the bike off, and install the cap. The cap will be cold, cause you set it on the bench whilest watching the mess.

It sounds to me like you have a large air pocket trapped in there, that would be what is forcing the coolant out, then as the bike cools it pulls coolant back in through the expansion   tank.