Main Menu

Help! Broken down at the Nugget

Started by Vegasrider, September 29, 2015, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Forgot to ask if you figured out your electrical issues yet?  Since you hear the starter clicking when this happens it could be a battery issue.   Battery issues tend to show up when the temps begin to drop.   Easy enough to test, the charger turning green is not a valid test you need to apply a load to the battery and measure the voltage.   With the bike off, turn the headlights on, the voltage should stay around 11- 12v for some time.  If the voltage drops off quickly battery is suspect.   Also, start the bike and while its running measure the voltage you should have >13.5V, if less RR is suspect and not charging the battery properly.
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

Wasn't the battery as I had suspected, it tested well.   Motosource called me this morning and they said it was the starter, due to worn out brushes.  They said they should have replacement brushes in tomorrow afternoon and the bike ready by the time I get off work. which is about a mile from where I work.   I hope it's just the brushes.  With 104k miles worth of starts, II can understand the starter going bad.

GreenMachine

Never heard of the ability to replace bushings.  That's amazing!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

What's that?  Never heard of a starter motor brush.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 01, 2015, 09:20:23 PM
What's that?  Never heard of a starter motor brush.

All DC motors have brushes. (well, there are brush-less motors, too, but it's a different design). They are necessary to complete the circuit. Since the commutator ring rotates inside the brushes, eventually they wear out. This video explains it very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtPHANEfQo
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

A DRAGON

You guys are nuts. Man I get THE  E B GEE BEES. Just looking at snow through a face shield.  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  :biatch
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Vegasrider

Riding year round regardless of conditions has its consequences, all three times I have been down were because of poor surface conditions. 2x in the rain, once due to fog freezing up on the roadway. 100% preventable but it's the risk I decide to take.