Main Menu

Saturday 9/26, 3-passes/mariposa little dragon loop

Started by dub, September 16, 2015, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

This is a ride that I've wanted to do for a while. It's the Southern 3-passes route (Monitor, Ebbets, Sonora), but then keeps going south to a Yosemite/Mariposa/Little Dragon loop.

For those unfamiliar, the Little Dragon is a pretty famous California motorcycle road. It's the section of Hwy 49 between Mariposa and Coulterville, named after the The Dragon at Deals Gap, NC. I've never ridden it and want to check it out.

This route takes 120 into Yosemite Valley, and 140 back out to Mariposa. So why Saturday 9/26? It's National Public Lands Day, which is a National Parks fee free day. So we won't have to pay $10 each to ride the 20 miles of the route inside the park. I don't' have a problem paying the fee to enjoy the splendor that is our National Parks, but since we're just gonna be riding in then right back out again, may as well take advantage of the fee free day.

Let me know if anyone else wants to join. Not for the faint of heart, it will be a full day; 400+ miles round trip from Minden, 500+ from Reno. We'll have to get an early start to finish in our 12hrs of daylight, so it may be pretty cold early on, especially on top of Monitor and Sonora passes. Here's the route: Google Map.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

That's a big one! Wish I could join, I enjoyed the 3-passes ride last year and I've been wanting to go through Yosemite on the bike but unfortunately I can't afford to take up all of Sat. this weekend.

Good luck, looks to be a good one!

Sub-Sonic

49 around Coulterville was my old stomping grounds.

Here is 49 on the 'little dragon' area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imy6NrWq314

dub

Quote from: slmoto on September 16, 2015, 03:07:06 PMbut unfortunately I can't afford to take up all of Sat. this weekend.

By 'this weekend' do you mean 'next weekend'? Because it's next weekend.

dub

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on September 16, 2015, 08:23:08 PM

Cool, I hear people mention the little dragon all the time, I gotta see it for myself.

slmoto

Quote from: dub on September 16, 2015, 09:29:54 PM
By 'this weekend' do you mean 'next weekend'? Because it's next weekend.

My bad, didn't even check the date just assumed this weekend. Unfortunately I still can't make it, I'm in NY all next week/weekend.

RichVee4

That is an intriguing ride.  I rode that section of 49 two years ago.  Its a refreshing break from traffic on 49 and has lots of good corners, most unmarked by the way.  We stayed in Oakhurst then came back through Yosemite.   Unfortunately I have work commitments that weekend so cant join you.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

This would be a good ride to do in May, when the water's flowing down the Merced river out of Yosemite and the hillsides are lush green.  This route passes right over the river.

My plans have it that I'll be with Angie, otherwise, I'd be all over this one.  Sounds hella fun!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

Wait, what?  I thought all your Angie are belong to her boyfriend.  Nice GM, playing it sneaky-like?   ;D

Kidding aside, this ride sounds super fun.  If I didn't have kids that day I'd be in.  I need to figure out how to plan the weekends they spend with their mom around the cool rides next year...  lol

(for anyone wondering what in the world is wrong with my grammar in the first sentence:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

It's from a horribly translated import game from the 80's)

GreenMachine

Oh if I were only half the player Dragon was, that would have merit.  :D 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

GM I'm not playing. That's just the way it is. If the ride is this coming weekend I'm in Dub. Kids are with their mom this weekend.  Let me know when and where to meet ya. I'll even let you buy lunch for the Smurf and I.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

A DRAGON

Off ff ff   that's really early.  Damm I got to leave my house at 7. Ok. I can accept it. But I don't have to like it.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

I know, early sucks.

Google maps says the route is 10 hrs round trip to Gville; add 2 more round trip to Reno. We'll make up a little time exceeding the speed limit, but lose more time with rest stops and lunch break. Sunset is at 6:51. We can leave later if you want, but the later we leave the more time you will spend riding home in the dark.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on September 16, 2015, 08:23:08 PM

SS, of all your videos, that one makes me eebie-geebie the most.  I've ridden that route many times, mostly on older bikes decades ago.  The last time was about four years ago on the new bike.  It didn't feel that much more comfortable and I wasn't being aggressive either. 

It's a close second place to MRR in my book.

:o  :o  :o