Main Menu

Re: Roll Call Sept 13th. Pucks Lake

Started by A DRAGON, September 09, 2015, 09:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A DRAGON

*N*
Sept 13th Bucks Lake   START TIME IS 8:30 9:00 AM. - hwy 80 west to 89 north to 89/70 to Quincy to Bucks Lake rd turn left/south 
after Bucks lake it turns into Oro/Quincy Hwy 162 to Oroville 
Return via reverse route or Downieville

Who's in? I gotta get the kids later. So I can't be gone till the wee hours of the evening.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

cobra23

Jerome ? ( I  think)

I may be able to go, I need to be back in Fernley early afternoon. This would be the very first SSA street ride (I used to do the track days).

What will the pace be like? I am not interested in triple digit speeds on the street, just a nice steady pace. If that is the intent I would love to join you finally for a quick ride. I am also very geographically challenged around here, as I rode in Washington most of my street time.

I did ride through Downieville last weekend and found it to be an amazing stretch.
I would be riding the Ducati Monster.

GreenMachine

PapaSmurf and I rode this last weekend.  With 49, it was ~330 miles.  If you're coming in from Fernley it'll be a big ride and you're welcome to it.

Pace is usually C+ - B- and no speeding on the straights.  Cornering is where we usually find our fun and that's done at legal or less than legal speeds. 

Come on out, but it's suppose to be a hot one this weekend I think.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

Looks like I just got invited on a dirt ride in the Sierras, so i won't be able to go.

I really want to get in on one of these before its too cold to ride this year. I work about 50 hours a week, so its hard to get away from home on the weekends.

I rode for a short time with an SSA guy last weekend, he was on an 1190 (or is it 1290) KTM, I was on the new Guzzi; the pace was perfect. I can ride well, I just don't need a ticket. And honestly I am kinda old (fiddy- four) . A few weeks ago I was pushin' 140 in Washington State out on the wheat fields. Well my riding buddy and I stopped for a few minutes, and pretty much decided we are all done with all that. It was "that moment" like the Great One was talking to us.

ADRAGON knows who I am, and I think he is of the same mindset, sure would like to ride with you all. Track days are now done too and the R6 is for sale. Time to slow down and enjoy the ride.

Drizzo one used to ride with me and knew the area, now he has moved to Washington State. He talked about some very high speed rides with SSA... (Ducati 1098) the kind I am no longer interested in. Seems like on about a third of the rides, somebody went down.

I have been real lucky, and I want to keep it that way.

You all have fun !! Catch you on the next one.

A DRAGON

Cobra please do come out for a ride with us. Just like anyone else the pace is always what you make it. Some wanna really fly. Some wanna just ride. Your riding your bike and I'm riding mine. I can suggest. That's all I can do. When new riders come out. Sometimes they just won't listen . I can't control that. So it is what it is. But since I've been back. It seems the riders who come out are under better control. Haven't seen to many bad experiences as of lately.

You know we usually ride till the weather changes.  But GM is always putting us together for a ride. Glad he's in charge now. I really enjoy following that guy when I can. Hope to see you soon pal.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

The SSA rider you found is Wills.  He's a very good rider.

I remember one big ride we had back in 2009, IIRC, had a newb rider go down this side of Downieville.  He was uninjured.  I was involved in a small late season off-road excursion as was above mentioned rider on another earlier ride about four years ago. Both single rider accidents. Then there was another who only made it to Downieville + one mile, also uninjured.  We had another group of riders join us, again going to Downieville, where one of their riders went down at a 15 MPH turn.  Rider error.  I'm trying to think of what other rides we've had were a rider has gone down and I cannot think of any.  Maybe it's my bad memory, but it seems we've gone about two years without a single one.   

I'm probably the slowest ride leader ever, but from hearing of my reputation, I can tell you, what you've heard is way overblown.  :|)  The same people who improve upon their stories about me each time they're told, are the same riders passing me on straights.   Oh brother!  Then in the next breath they'll tell me, can you go faster than five or ten over?  When that's the case, I happily ride at the back to sweep or ride on ahead at my slow pace and let them go at theirs. 

Like Dragon drilled into our heads years earlier, ride at your own pace.  The pack always finds ways of regrouping.  And crashes are unnecessary.  And true to form, I've never led a group ride where we've been cited for speeding or any other infraction.  Not one.  Not even pulled over and given a warning.  8)  I had two where another rider was in the lead riding too fast where we did (one cited & one warned), but, I'm proud to say, none with me out front...because I always ride to blend in, not stand out.

DR1150 was a great rider and I loved riding with him on the street.  He's twice the rider I am.  If you're still in touch with him in Washington, he'll verify everything I just jotted down.  Triple digits?  Maybe for other riders and even then, for very very brief instances if there were two vehicles to pass, but always back to normal speeds where most people wouldn't notice we're any different than traffic flow. 

If SSA had a reputation of a crash every third ride, I wouldn't participate with such a group.  And our stats back that up.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

;D

I hope Cobra comes out to experience some of our rides.  The season's wrapping up though, at least for the 2015 scheduled rides.  Only two more after this weekend.

dub

Dave moved to Washington? Bummer to lose him as a local riding buddy.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

PAPASMURF

sounds like another TRI-TIP is in my future.  ;D i take it 4-bucks to meet. :|)
last week was a blast.  :)maybe this time we will get more than just 2. lol ;)

S1000R
R1250RS

PAPASMURF

to get back "early",  it might be good to skip the gold lake loop. but it will will
depend on dragon. lol.
S1000R
R1250RS

GreenMachine

I'm up for more fun.  Make it three.   :thanks

RSVP'ed!

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

I'm out, got to get a good chunk of work in this weekend to make up for time off.

I'll be watching MotoGP and bbqing in the afternoon/evening after work though, if anyone cares to join after your ride.

RocketRider

PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

You're not seriously considering riding street are you?   :P

This is a north route ride, as listed <here>.  Our usual spot.  ;)