Main Menu

8/30 - South Ride - Sierra Foothills Loop

Started by dub, August 26, 2015, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

The schedule for this Sunday says Markleeville. That's not much of a Sunday ride for me; it's like 20 minutes from my house.

I'm still gonna go South, but I'm gonna go further.

Here's the route: click for map. These roads aren't on the SSA schedule, but they aren't new to me.

If anyone else wants to come, we'll meet at the Maverik in Minden where 395 and 88 split, ksu @ 9am. As GM would say, RSVP if you want to ride, if I'm solo I'll just leave straight from my house.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Just happens Monica and I will be down there Sunday morning on our way to Sonora.   We will plan to stop by Mavericks about 8:45 to see who's there.  I am trying to meet up with a VFR group in Sonora about noon otherwise would join you.   
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I have to work this weekend, so if I do ride on Sunday it'll have to be just the short route and then back home.  Guess that means we'll be leaving before 8:00 AM on Sunday from Reno if we're going to make it to Minden in time.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: RichVee4 on August 26, 2015, 08:25:46 PMI am trying to meet up with a VFR group in Sonora about noon otherwise would join you.   

Sounds like a pretty rough crowd.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 26, 2015, 09:13:48 PMGuess that means we'll be leaving before 8:00 AM on Sunday from Reno if we're going to make it to Minden in time.

lol, welcome to my world. What time do you think I leave my house to get to Java Jungle by 8:15?

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Quote from: dub on August 26, 2015, 09:57:50 PM
Quote from: RichVee4 on August 26, 2015, 08:25:46 PMI am trying to meet up with a VFR group in Sonora about noon otherwise would join you.   

Sounds like a pretty rough crowd.

You'd be surprised at what a group of speed freaks they are.   If anyone wants company on the slog to Minden we can meet at Mavericks S Reno at 7:45, ksu 8.
Live long and prosper \V/

A DRAGON

Man i was looking forward to doing a few laps up and down Monitor.  Bud that ride is cool except that 88 freeway then that Hwy 50 traffic sucks. 

I kinda remember that Volanco road. That was really nice.  Not sure which way I'm Headed though. But really want to ride with you though. Got some people meeting at the jungle on Sunday and i wanna be back around 4 or 5. Spend some time with my 14 year old.  Hopefully we can hook up.

I think Alberto is showing up. But he has to have a short day.  Think maybe some other old members might be coming aswell.  I'll keep you posted.

I told Andre (Triumph with bald tires) who's trying to back out because he hasn't replaced his tires yet.  He could ride Alberto's 3 wheeled Scooter. Not sure what's he's going to do yet
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

Well if I could be magically transported directly to the good twisty roads, I would do that. But you have to ride the highways to get where you are going. How come you never complain about the ride up I-80/hwy 89 to Sierraville? Or hwy 70 between Graegle & Quincy? Those also suck, but we have to do it to get where we're going.

This is probably only a 6.5 hour loop with a quick lunch and breaks. Back to g-ville by 3:30, then back to Reno by 4:30-5. We could leave earlier if you want.

A DRAGON

I-80 to Truckee 20 minutes long 75 to 80 mph 4 lane road pretty much no traffic.  Hwy70.  70mph almost no traffic. Hwy 88 all kinds of Traffic.  Cops are a C**k sucker.  Hwy 50 relentless traffic. Pass 1 car and your behind 10 more.  That's why i always complain about Hwy 50 and 88. Yes you do have to ride some roads to get to the good stuff.  I can accept it. But i don't have to like it.  :drama
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Vegasrider

Does anyone think Saturday traffic is better? Back in Idaho, Sunday traffic was horrible coming back from a ride. It's to a point that passing vehicles became useless. I really didn't get you home any sooner.

dub

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 28, 2015, 11:49:56 AM
I-80 to Truckee 20 minutes long 75 to 80 mph 4 lane road pretty much no traffic.  Hwy70.  70mph almost no traffic. Hwy 88 all kinds of Traffic.  Cops are a C**k sucker.  Hwy 50 relentless traffic. Pass 1 car and your behind 10 more.  That's why i always complain about Hwy 50 and 88. Yes you do have to ride some roads to get to the good stuff.  I can accept it. But i don't have to like it.

I guess we all have to make our own decisions based on our own tolerances.

Mel used to have no problem slabbing 80 miles down I-80, so he could do a few short out and back jaunts on his favorite goat roads. I thought it was pretty ridiculous.

I have no problem riding a little of 50 and 88 to get to the good roads they lead to. You may think that's ridiculous.

I don't always have to be passing every car possible and doing 70 in a 55. Sometimes if you come up behind a line of cars you just have to chill out and look at the scenery.

dub

Quote from: Vegasrider on August 28, 2015, 01:07:42 PM
Does anyone think Saturday traffic is better? Back in Idaho, Sunday traffic was horrible coming back from a ride. It's to a point that passing vehicles became useless. I really didn't get you home any sooner.

Honestly I probably haven't ridden enough Saturday's to make a good comparison.

But even on Sunday, it's hit and miss. Like last week's ride, traffic was outstanding. I think we only had to pass one car on 49 between Sattley and Bassets. I don't even remember passing a single car all the way up Buck's Lake. Some Sunday's you don't get so lucky. I was telling the group last week, that I think traffic gets better this time of year because the kids are back in school. There are less families out and about driving to their favorite campground or lake for summer time vacations.

Traffic is like life, man, sometimes it's smooth sailing and sometimes your stuck behind a line of cars and frustrated. You just do the best you can.

slmoto

I just got back to Reno from the Bay Area today and traffic seems to be on the heavier side due to burning man coming up, I'm sure it will only get worse this weekend. Lots of janky ass rv's trying to make it over the hill, about a quarter of them broken down on the side of the road that didn't make it and a bunch loaded cars with fuzy bikes strapped to them.

Also traffic really ain't shit out here anyway, we're spoiled and nit picking for the most part if you compare the traffic we deal with to other places that have real traffic problems...

dub

Good point about the Burners. Starts this weekend; the pilgrimage is on.

Agreed on the second part as well. We could live in Denver and have to endure the I-70 corridor every ride to get up into the Front Range.