Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Water bike

Started by slmoto, August 03, 2015, 11:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on August 05, 2015, 10:05:27 AM
How much fuel/oil do you think spilled out of the bike each time they sank it? I would say you are correct, some oil/gas leaked into the water. Realize how vast the ocean is. Some oil/gas is literally a drop in the ocean. Additionally, I don't think all of those sinkings were in Tahitian reef waters. They developed the project for 2 years before arriving on the shoot location.
Going for a ride down the street also has no environmental impact, taken as an individual event. The problem of course is that millions of other people are simultaneously going for a ride down the street and the combined effect of their combustion by-products has an environmental impact. There are not millions of dirtbikes being sunk in Tahitian reefs. There was one. Two stoke boat motors were banned on Lake Tahoe because their combined effect was having an environmental impact. One two stroke boat motor has no impact.
Therefore I maintain my assertion that this stunt had no environmental impact. Think in the macro about what we are talking about. Impact means lasting effect or influence. Thousands upon thousands of freighters crisscrossing the ocean burning bunker fuel for the last 100 years has made an impact on the environment. Dumping a gallon of two stroke premix into the ocean makes no lasting effect or influence.

God dammit, I wish I had taken my own advice like Scott did and not wasted any time by containing to engage in this. If I see the new post icon next to this thread I'm not clicking on it.
Fortunately, this is only a motorcycle forum, what is written won't impact or have any lasting effect or influence on any of us.  So there's really no harm in carrying on with our discussions and I am not offended.

BTW, what happened to Mel?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

The internet pollution of this thread is far more damaging than that water bike.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 12, 2015, 10:52:40 AM
The internet pollution of this thread is far more damaging than that water bike.

:xactly

Hopefully Dub breaks his vow not to click on this topic any more, I think he'd appreciate your comment.