Main Menu

Current Shop Rate?

Started by Vegasrider, June 29, 2015, 01:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

Anyone know what the current shop rate is at a Yamaha dealership? Or possibly a reputable independent shop.  I noticed my fork seals are leaking again, and need to get it repaired ASAP, and not sure if i'm better off getting it done here in Boise where it's $72 hr, or down in Reno.  Unfortunately, I'm not a wrencher so doing it myself is out of the question. 

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

I'd check with Moto Source in Reno and see what they charge. Let them know you're with SSA, they offer a discount to SSA members.

GreenMachine

There are a couple shops you could talk to.  When I had my fork seals replaced, which died one at a time, I took the fork tube over to the KTM shop the first time.  I did all the work, less the 10mm bolt removal.  That required an air ratchet.  $20.  The second time I took the tube over to Rich at Motosource.  I think he charged me $40 to clean, drain and refill the fork's fluids with the dust boot & fluids which I provided. 

Anymore, I have him to all the major stuff that I cannot do myself.  Call Jerry at the front desk and ask him what he thinks it'll cost.  Doesn't cost anything to ask.  Plus they have an SSA discount if you ask for it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on June 29, 2015, 02:50:40 PM
I'd check with Moto Source in Reno and see what they charge. Let them know you're with SSA, they offer a discount to SSA members.
That's what I get for being wordy.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I've done a few fork seals myself and getting pretty good at it so don't take them to the shop.    Moto Source has always treated me well and is the only place that I trust with my bikes when I need work. 

Moto Source 775 856 3855
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

Thanks everyone, if anyone is skillful to perform this task, I will gladly compensate them with $.  I actually had a forum member conduct my last repair when I was down in Las Vegas.  For some reason, his repair only lasted 30k miles and the original seals lasted for 70k miles.  Maybe I just rode harder on the 2nd set.

RichVee4

I'd be happy to help and I work for cheap, but dont worry that is no reflection on the quality of work I do!   I will send you a PM to get some more info.  Mostly need to know diameter of your fork tubes to make sure I have the correct size seal driver.   If you have a seal that started leaking early would be good to inspect the fork tube for any pits or rough surfaces.   

Currently, I am upgrading the valving and springs on the Mrs Triumph Sprint forks. Installing new Race Tech gold valves for compression and rebound dampening plus a more appropriate spring size.    I will have that project done this weekend so when you get to Reno let me know.

Vegasrider

Just a reminder that my bike is my only ride so it has to be completed as I wait.  I'm going to do a little research on the FZ6 forum and see what kind of useful information I can pass along to you or anyone who may want to take on this task.  It probably won't be for another week, as I'm extremely busy packing and more importantly, finding a place to live.  May have found a place, but I can't move in until the 25th.  I'll be at a hotel until the 13th by cashing in my Marriott points. 

Thanks,

Kenny

RichVee4

If you decide to have someone do this work the only other items you will need in addition to what I previously mentioned are fork seals, dust seals, and fork oil.   You need to find out the proper weight fork oil for your fork and what the fluid level should be when its refilled.  It would take about 1.5hr to do the work to give you an idea.

RocketRider

Fix it yourself or with a buddy! They arent too difficult usually. Online manuals are typically easy to find if youre bike isnt brand new
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

Vegasrider

Pulled into Michaels's of Reno on the south end of town, only because it's near where I'm currently staying.  I needed my chain tightened and they said they would do it for no charge.  After wrenching, they  said my chain was maxed out, and couldn't tighten it anymore so I still have a little too much slack.  Hoping to stretch out the chain and sprocket until my rear tire needs to be replaced.  Awfully nice of them anyways and I will seriously consider them as a place to get my bike serviced. 

Their shop rate is $85 an hour.  $13 more than Boise.  So has anyone have any review's of Michael's?

slmoto

I had a similar experience when I first went to them. I thought I had some bigger issue and dropped my bike off but they made a simple carb adjustment and only charged me about $20 when they could have charged the full first hour rate. However, every time since I've called to get quotes on other maintenance or fixes they've always quoted way more than any other shop I called so I've never really went back.

Phillip

Vegasrider

I'm taking my bike into Motosource this week once my parts arrives.   I ordered a new chain and both sprockets from them and the owner Rich offered to install them as I wait since my bike is my only ride, so he will drop what he's working on to get me going.  This is exactly the kind of service I am looking for. None of this appointment crap and being stranded without any transport.   And the price on the parts were very reasonable.  By the way, they're shop rate is $80 per hour. The shop is also conveniently located for me, it's right on the way home from work.