Main Menu

Reno to San Francisco route ideas

Started by KawasakiNoob, September 19, 2014, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KawasakiNoob

Hello everybody,
So my brother just bought an ex500 too and we are going to the bay saturday afternoon. Does anybody have any good ideas for twisty fun roads to get there. Even if it turns a 4 hour ride to a 6? if anybody is also going to the Bay Area this saturday the more the merrier! Newish to Northern Nevada/ NorCal so would appreciate recommended roads.

dub

Basically just choose the route across the Sierra you want to take that isn't I-80. There are lots of them. Here's a suggestion: http://goo.gl/maps/s9LOj
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I had to meet a rider in Gardnerville once for a trip over Sears Point.  We took took a somewhat similar route that Dub has, hwy 88 over.  When we dropped into the east side of Lodi, we took hwy 12 over to Fairfield.  It wasn't the quickest route, but at least we got off the beaten path a little and crossing the rolling hills near the delta was pretty cool.

For a north-of I-80 route, you could take hwy 49  through Downieville, loop hwy 89 from Truckee, then 49 down to Auburn, take I-80 west to 113 north in Davis, then immediately off onto Russell blvd to Winters & hwy 128 west, and either stay on 128 to  hwy 29 north of Napa or cut directly across on 121 to Napa.  Find your way back down to I-80 near Vacaville and into the bay area.

Just temper yourself when you get on these side roads.  Expect that you're going to lose some pace stuck behind traffic until it's safe to pass. Expect more congestion the farther you get from the Sierras (closer you get to population centers) and law enforcement in the Berryessa area.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.