Main Menu

Short ride for Sunday? 08/10/14

Started by GreenMachine, August 08, 2014, 06:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Curious as to how I'm riding and posting? I left just after 8:10. Mel & Brian weren't there this AM. So now I'm in Truckee. Thought I'd pull off and ck to see if anyone was arriving at 8:30 instead of the 8:00 Mel had said. ADragon showed up. And as luck would have it, he called just as I took my phone out. Cool!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

At the turnaround point in New San Juan.  The Downieville store/gas station was closed for remodeling, by the looks of it. Checking out the Smithneck Farms Pizzeria/BBQ house/dessert pie place in Sierraville.  You guys have to try this place.  It doesn't look like much, but if you like a rustic looking atmosphere with good food and great people, this is the place!!  :thumbup  That's Dwight, he runs the place; very personable and chatty.  And if you show him a camera, he'll gladly run inside for his guitar and play you a song or two.  ADragon and I had the Tri-tip sandwich.  Yummy!  But they had fresh apple pie there, so we had a big slice of that too; heated of course.   :drool  Y-U-M-M-Y!

My rustic chair.  Dwight says that people like the old stuff better than the new plastic chairs, so these are what we got to sit in.

We met this nice young lady who came in from Truckee.  She works with insects apparently and when a flying beetle hit Dwight in the nose, puncturing the skin enough to draw blood, Tasha asked him to capture it to study.  Then before she left she caught another one before leaving on a bicycle ride.

Some of these people were just passing through and some were locals who just love this place.  Grab your book and relax out front.  What a cool place!!  Tasha's ride was brief.  She got rained on going east, so she turned around and headed west, got rained on then took evasive action not to get hit by a RV, crashing her bicycle in the process.  A little bruised, but she still had a cheery attitude.  She must have been dreaming of those giant chocolate chip cookies.

Then there was Jacob, the world bicycle traveler bicycling down from Fairbanks, AK, but lives in Colorado.  He was on a trek to Argentina and carries a guitar and iPad to keep himself company.  He blogs along the way and had stopped to use the free Wi-Fi hotspot and to down an entire pizza before heading towards Tahoe.  

Then Paul and his wife showed up, TB5's friend who told me about Smithneck's last week.  Small world!  Finally, we had to make a decision before the weather closed in on us.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Oh, and apparently Tasha may also be studying my beetle.  Remember that guy I posted about last month?  I turned him (the live beetle) into UNR for study.  I asked what became of that guy and she said he was frozen or freeze dried, can't remember.  I think they or she will study him at a later time.  Small world, if the beetle I turned in was the one she was excited about.

Mel

GM, it looks like you guys had a great time today! I didn't even get to ride today because a friend rolled into town for a visit. I definitely want to check out that café now in Sierraville. Did they serve breakfast? Did you get that bicycle girl's number :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

It's a small one person operation, but they do have a limited breakfast menu on a chalkboard.

A DRAGON

Just wanted to say even though we got a little wet. What a nice ride with the SSA.  It's not always trying to ride faster than those around you. Just do some twists again with friends. Having a nice lunch. GM bought Apple pie.

Bug girl was very interesting. If you ever get some Beatles she wants them. How cool is that. A girl who's not grossed out viewing insects.

Thanks again for the nice ride GM
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

A DRAGON

Can you believe that guy riding his bicycle from Alaska tip Argentina check out his blog

HAMMOCKEERING.COM

Sometimes we meet some of the most interesting people when riding.  Good luck Jacob hope all works out with you.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Sounds like a fun ride.  Strange coincidence you meet someone that studies beetles and knows about your beetle.  That was one big bug you found!  Plus the guy riding his bike from AK to S America, crazy.  Talk about an adventure.   
Live long and prosper \V/