Main Menu

Rider Skill continuing education

Started by RichVee4, July 14, 2014, 02:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

While on the topic of new rider education (good idea Mel) here are two books that I recommend for newer riders and books the wife and I have read more that once, and even highlighted :)  I find reviewing them from time to time I pick up additional info as my riding level/experience increase.   These have been around for years and the ideas and knowledge well tested.

Total Control by Lee Parks.  Very good basics to more advanced technique covering bike controls, braking, cornering, rider input, gear selection. Plus much more.  To much to summarize but fun reading and who doesn't like learning about motorcycling and improving their skills!!

Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.  While also covering riding techniques he also covers a wide range of situations one can experience on the road.  Examples include wind, animals, traffic, group riding.  He also has some excellent techniques for how to minimize risk at intersections (the dreaded left turner).  Techniques carry over to driving also.

This group has many experienced riders that are also good mentors.

I hope you find these helpful.  Anyone else read these or others and find them helpful?   Feel free to add suggestions or comment on how they learned.
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: Richman on July 14, 2014, 02:56:18 PM
...This group has many experienced riders that are also good mentors...
BigCat, Dub, TB5, DR1150, Mel, to name a few, have all been riders I've learned safe riding tips from.*

* the rest of you hooligans are nothing but a bad influence on me.   :P
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

BC-2

Books on riding are definitely great learning tools.  I've read several since I started riding and my personal favorite is Sport-Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch & Kenny Roberts.  Geared for the Sportbike rider but the principals apply to riding any street bike.  Of course, the best combo is seat time applying what you've read.

slmoto

Thanks for this post Richman and the other inputs too. I've been browsing the web for good sites on learning and increasing skill levels as I've been anxious to increase my riding skills. So, I'll definitely be picking up some of these suggestions.

Mel

Thanks for posting up this thread Richman! I was going to post up a couple but got beat to it :)! I have all the books listed so far, to include all the Twist the Wrist series by Keith Code. They are all a great reference source to review from time to time for newbies and experienced riders also. You must always consider yourself a student, and you can believe even Marc Marquez would admit he is always learning 8)!

Mel

RichVee4

My reading list for the off season is growing.   Some great suggestions, thanks.  As mentioned, riding is always a continuing education process whatever stage we are at.  That is part of the enjoyment, testing your skill and learning ways to make it safer and improve control.  In my era, there was no MSF course to learn basics just get your license and go.  Probably wasn't as concerned at 18 with reading and learning skills, but now understand the need to learn the "right" way to continue enjoying this sport.  Having to teach someone else to ride really brings home the proper technique aspect.

To get a little heavier reading.  Anyone read the "Art and Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance"?  Two words,  no not "very long" (true) but "Eye Opening"

dub

Quote from: BC-2 on July 14, 2014, 03:56:45 PMOf course, the best combo is seat time applying what you've read.

Here's the thing about reading books about how to ride motorcycles:

The way we learn new skills is to "hear it, understand it, do it, & form muscle memory". Hearing it is the easy part, it's right there on the page in black and white. Understanding it is another thing, and a little trickier. Doing it is the real rub. Unless you get out there and practice the skills you have learned, you wont form a muscle memory. Then you wont be able to just do it without thinking when the time comes. Reading these books is great, there is a wealth of awesome knowledge that every rider should at least be exposed to. But unless you are putting in the seat time and practicing what you have read you aren't really learning anything. This is why everyone should make it out to trackdays at least every one in a while. The racetrack is really the only controlled environment where you can practice a lot of these important skills at speed.

Mel

Dub hit the nail on the head and is spot on with his comments about putting in the seat time, and getting to trackdays to practice the skills for you newer riders, and even not so new. They didn't have trackdays when I started riding in the twisties in the early 70's, and the street was the track back then! I had to live and learn through "on the job training" so to speak :)! Luckily over the years I was able to ride with some fast guys that were AFM champs and was able to hone the skills riding with them. At this point in my life now at 65, I don't want to learn how to go any faster on the street LOL!! If I ever decided to do some AFM racing, then I would want to sharpen my skills for the track and would be doing trackdays and going to some roadrace schools. So guys, take Dub's advice and get out on the track where you can learn the skills quicker and in a safe environment 8)!

Mel

RichVee4

Great suggestions.  One thing I would like to do to improve my skill is take an instructed track session combining coaching with track time.  Someone last ride mentioned they took a similar class at sears point.  Any recommendation in N CA?

Outside of track riding there are other skills needed specific to navigating public roads.  Since all my riding is on the streets,  the books I mentioned cover many real world situations related to thing you may encounter on public roads.  Its essential one has some basic knowledge before you throw a leg over the seat.

Things like
-Emergency stopping
-Cornering techniques for staying away from the yellow line
-knowing where the highest percentage of motorcycle accident occur.
-traction differences between asphalt, concrete, painted line, etc.

There are some great resources here for new riders or anyone interested in learning basis road survival skills where most of us spend our time.

BC-2

Quote from: Richman on July 15, 2014, 07:15:01 PM
Great suggestions.  One thing I would like to do to improve my skill is take an instructed track session combining coaching with track time.  Someone last ride mentioned they took a similar class at sears point.  Any recommendation in N CA?

Outside of track riding there are other skills needed specific to navigating public roads.  Since all my riding is on the streets,  the books I mentioned cover many real world situations related to thing you may encounter on public roads.  Its essential one has some basic knowledge before you throw a leg over the seat.

Things like
-Emergency stopping
-Cornering techniques for staying away from the yellow line
-knowing where the highest percentage of motorcycle accident occur.
-traction differences between asphalt, concrete, painted line, etc.

There are some great resources here for new riders or anyone interested in learning basis road survival skills where most of us spend our time.

That must have been my friend Todd you spoke with, I believe he took the Pridmore School.  He said it was a good experience and he learned a lot.

Track riding is clearly an ideal place to practice bike control, body positioning, effective braking etc etc...  However, as you said, there are a lot of aspects of riding on the street, where most riders spend their time (myself included) that you can't really practice on the track.  Most of which are survival related such as lane positioning (staying out of blind spots, etc), line around corners (sometimes not ideal for speed but for visibility and escape options).  I could go on but there are things you can only practice on the street and others, only on the track.  In other words, it's best to do both!  ;D

RichVee4

The extent of my riding Sunday.   This is a well done production showing a glimpse of the Yamaha Champions Riding School.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs7kNeRoTZU

BC-2

Quote from: RichVee4 on August 04, 2014, 06:46:47 AM
The extent of my riding Sunday.   This is a well done production showing a glimpse of the Yamaha Champions Riding School.

Very cool!  That's the school that's 1st on my list to take someday.  Lead instructor is the author of my favorite riding book.  It seems their philosophy on riding technique is the most modern (up to date) as riding techniques have evolved.

dub

Quote from: BC-2 on August 04, 2014, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: RichVee4 on August 04, 2014, 06:46:47 AM

Very cool!  That's the school that's 1st on my list to take someday.  Lead instructor is the author of my favorite riding book.  It seems their philosophy on riding technique is the most modern (up to date) as riding techniques have evolved.

It used to be 1st on my list; until I did the Rickdiculous day. Same knowledge base, but way more one on one instruction, plus you don't have to travel to New Jersey to do it. See my report here if you missed it.