Main Menu

exhaust baffle?

Started by bkrblood, April 07, 2010, 10:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkrblood

does anyone know if you have to have the baffle in for you pipe for the street? i have a jardine gp1 slip on pipe on my k8 gixer and i currently have the baffle in and was wondering if i could legally remove it. its as simple as removing one screw and it just slides out. i wanted to pull it to increase the sound of the pipe so i can be heard better on the freeway since i use the bike to commute daily.
John Bovet

MotoPutz

legally......    I doubt that....

Justin

In times of economic hardship, the fewer reasons you provide to be pulled over and cited, the better off you are.

I can hear stock sport motorcycle exhausts from my car just fine, although I totally understand your desire to be more OBVIOUS

youngster775

LEAVE IT IN! the bike sounds great!  :)
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

zipbyu

If it comes out you can put it back in. Try it. Or half of the baffle.  H.P. gains=.1%  ;)

All stock cans have a db rating on the can. A certain 85db (i think)at a specified rpm range to be legal.   Before I got a spark aresitor for my dirt bike, I cut the can in half and reriveted the end part back on, I sure got louder.  I would leave it alone.

bkrblood

lol yea i still have the stock can incase i ever do a track day down at laguna but i love the way the new one looks. saved bout 15 pounds and cleaned it up so much!
John Bovet

edmunsan

Quote from: bkrblood on April 07, 2010, 10:38:34 PM
       so i can be heard better .

They can hear you better if your in front of them. So get in front of them ..........SAFELY. I look for distracted drivers because hearing takes back seat to awareness. " I didn't see him" is the most common statement on a motorcycle versus auto accident report. "I didn't hear him Trooper" ever heard that one? My arrow exhaust has NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE stamped on it. To me "loud pipes save lives" is....baffleling :D
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

mikey

One screw!

Take it out  ;D and ride it I think you will like it even better, my bike's 748 (ARROW), 955 (Fast By Ferracci)   no converters, no baffles, I know one of the two is stamped right on the strap that holds it together FOR RACE USE ONLY.  With tickets in WA. CA. NV. as long as it is not a home made cut off that a friend welded for you I think you will be O.K.
ducati brothers

916 (2wcp 955 big bore kit)

Justin

Quote from: mikey on April 09, 2010, 11:11:18 PM
With tickets in WA. CA. NV. as long as . . .
. . . I think you will be O.K.
Now THERE's a glowing endorsement!!! 
Mikey, I love ya, but the vote looks like 5 to 1, so far.

RedLeader

I believe ive heard that any kind of aftermarket pipe is illegal. Maybe that was an over statement, but still. Gonna make this 6-1... leave it in and save your ears. Dont draw undo attention to yourself from cops. (the ones you pass on the road, because the ones in front wont hear you regardless)
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

2wcp

Quote from: RedLeader on April 10, 2010, 12:13:53 AM
I believe ive heard that any kind of aftermarket pipe is illegal. Maybe that was an over statement, but still. Gonna make this 6-1... leave it in and save your ears. Dont draw undo attention to yourself from cops. (the ones you pass on the road, because the ones in front wont hear you regardless)

You have heard right. Any changes you make that modify the emissions of the vehicle are illegal. And majority of aftermarket pipes are above the legal db limit.
On the other hand if you are going to be riding around and not acting like an idiot, they aren't going to pull you over for having an aftermarket exhaust on your bike. If you are giving them reasons to pull you over then it will definatly grab their attention and could be an excuse to pull you over.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

n10sive

loud pipes save li..... oh wait...this isn't a Harley forum is it  :-\ *later*

LOL
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

99 900ss duc

this is a very baffling question, be loud or fly under radar.....

mikey

Quote from: Justino on April 09, 2010, 11:22:59 PM
Quote from: mikey on April 09, 2010, 11:11:18 PM
With tickets in WA. CA. NV. as long as . . .
. . . I think you will be O.K.
Now THERE's a glowing endorsement!!! 
Mikey, I love ya, but the vote looks like 5 to 1, so far.

All I am saying is I have been pulled over a bunch in different areas and no COP has EVER stuck his nose down my pipes, EVER looked at my pipes or EVER asked about them. It is not like he is coring it  ;D

I like those odds, always against me lol

ducati brothers

916 (2wcp 955 big bore kit)

Justin

I couldn't tell what you meant.  All i know is you identified yourself as someone with citation in three states.
They could have all been noise related!!!

Then there is the whole "i get lots of tickets, so I am an expert on such matters"
which would make me NOT want to take your advice.  I was just teasing your original post, Not you!