Main Menu

frank thomas xti suit?

Started by bkrblood, March 03, 2010, 08:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkrblood

anyone got any oppinions on this suit from cycle gear? the price tag of 350 intrests me seeing im young and broke but really wanting to get into track days.
John Bovet

Justin

We can get you into a used suit for less, perhaps and you may be better off.  I have no experience with FT.

I am a fan of the Teknic Violator (perforated)

What is your height and weight, inseam, waist, and chest measurements?

whiskytango

I have heard mixed reviews...  :-[  ???
Unfortunatly you get what you pay for...  Things like ventilation,  and cevilar panels for good fit and mobility. (you do not want a suit that has no stretch panel in the crotch, it sucks believe me)  But also with more $ you might get more than one low side crash out a suit because of better construction and stitching (invest)
    With huge name companies like Alpinestars you are likely also paying for there ads (and Hayden, Stoner, Spies salaries) but not to many people would argue high end suits cost alot for a reason (quality).  
    From experience only I'll say fit should be the highest priority.  You don't want to be thinking about how your knee is gettting pinched or when you are tucked in, snapping off gears toward triple dig speed you don't want to then find out your helmet hits your gear (collar) and you can't see (again my experience).
   Cyclegear is super good for being able to spend the time to actually try things on I.E. walk around ask to through a leg over the display bike, any thing you can do to be in a suit long enough to know if it fits and the staff is helpful in bringing you your size in other brands.  they will also give a good price drop with an MSF card.  But having a bunch of suits there in front of you is not going to happen any where up here in 775 if you are an average built dude.
    Know your measurments going in.  and always think about the fact that its should fit you best while your on your bike with your boots and helmet not Blabbing at Starbucks  :o  :D (guilty)
    A good option for your first suit is two peice cause you can use them at tracks if the waste zipper goes all the way across your back and then you will also have a CE approved Jacket for canyon riden.  
    TRY NOT TO BE HASTY
    Take out advertising and you get companies like this
http://www.tiltcustoms.com/Home.html
http://www.spartanleathers.com/
    Read up about those, I have never heard a bad thing about Tilt and they are out of the Bay Area....
    So bla bla bla  :o  bla.......      Hope that helps  (sorry for being long winded just stoked for you and I regret pinching pennies for my 1st suit even though I did learn about all the stuff I didn't want in a suit real fast)

:o     oh yah and this friend of Plank's  so after you narrow it down and try some on you might check them......
http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=1752.0
CHAINDRIVEN

Justin

Excellent feedback from Whiskey.
One thing. . .  don't trust the sizing charts on the web.  I am several sizes larger than the company recommends. 
One more thing.  Many street riders and most track day riders use back protectors.  Borrow one to try on stuff with. If it's not comfortable, you're likely to leave at home.

99 900ss duc

i know where a brand new blue alpinstars one piece suit size 36 for 500 cash (maybe would take 400)

youngster775

good grief thats small! that might fit kevin
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

RedLeader

Good Feedback from Josh (Whiskey). He has had plenty of experience in a super heavy and uncomfortable suit. I did exactly what Josh said; went down to Cycle Gear and tried on as many suits as possible that I liked and were in my price range (and some not). 2 piece great for Sunday riders, much more convenient and comfortable to just be able to unzip the pants from the jacket at lunch. One piece offer a bit more protection and some people like the fit better, but its just a comfort thing... whatever fits better I would also second what Justin said about the back protector. if you've got the dough for a back protector get one. if you cant afford one right now, find one you like and try it on under your suit. Just from my experience, A* back protectors are really bulky and large. I bought a Dinese which was $$ but is thin, light and (most important) comfortable.

Basically it boils down to try everything possible on and buy what you like best.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

bkrblood

any oppinions on the icon field armor vest?
John Bovet

whiskytango

CHAINDRIVEN

99 900ss duc

the alpinestars suit is in carson

edmunsan

Cant buy a suit untill I lose my pot belly. I dont even know how I got one when I dont even use pot! Maybe I can fit into a maternity track suit if I can find one with MAN colors. ;D
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

bkrblood

well looks like im getting a steal on a suit! my buddie is selling me his a.stars suit and back protector for 175! never down in suit just sold the bike so didnt need the suit!
John Bovet

MotoPutz

bkrblood

yea turns out its a alpinestar haga race replica and hes never been down in it!
John Bovet