Main Menu

Salvage title

Started by trent, October 20, 2008, 02:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trent

Im seeing a lot of bike for sale with SALVAGE TITLES.. What is involved in owning/registering one of these bikes and is it woth while? Is it that big a deal I guess is what Im asking??? ??? ???
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

jlavallee

The state of Nevada will not let you register a bike with a salvage title period. Track bike, just get a bill of sale and use it. A street bike even in california where you can register it is probably best left alone as you can't ever sell in NV.

Depends on the damage, some are salvaged for minor stuff and some are tweaked. If the thing is verified straight then for a track bike it's fine.

Justin

trent

Thanks for the info I was completely unaware of that.... ;D ;D ;D

Mike Cullen

Quote from: jlavallee on October 20, 2008, 04:44:49 PM
The state of Nevada will not let you register a bike with a salvage title period. Track bike, just get a bill of sale and use it. A street bike even in california where you can register it is probably best left alone as you can't ever sell in NV.

Depends on the damage, some are salvaged for minor stuff and some are tweaked. If the thing is verified straight then for a track bike it's fine.

Not sure where you got your info. but I think you can register the bike as a homebuilt vehicle once you've fixed it up, thats what I've done in the past.

2wcp

Yea, as far as I know you can have the bike rebuilt and safety inspected and register it. I've had a few bikes that were bought back from the insurance as Salavage and they were able to get them registered for the street. Having a salvage title doesn't mean that the bike is completely mangled. All it means is the amount of damage was more than, usually about 80% of the wholesale value. So that means that all the plastic and the tank and maybe a fairing stay, with the prices of plastics these days. Many salvage bikes have straight frames, forks, and swingarms. And some are just junk.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

trent

Does the DMV do the safety inspections? Or could a shop such as yours do it? Does anyone know the cost involved in this? Thanks again guys this is really helpful. The bike Im looking at is a theft recovery with a salvage title. Someone stole all the plastics but they have been replaced with OEM parts.

jlavallee

That was what the DMV told me when I inquired about it.

The web site agrees with you although it sounds like a lot of hassle.

http://www.dmvnv.com/salvage.htm#Procedures

mike72

I have bought two salvaged titled Hondas and had them titled in Nevada as homebuilt and had no problems. BVH did the inspection: lights, turns, brakes, horn, etc. and no fee. DMV rechecks BVH's form and no fee. It took about two hours total. Have to trailer the bike until registered. When its time to sale some may frown about homebuilt title.

2wcp

Quote from: trent on October 21, 2008, 07:06:19 AM
Does the DMV do the safety inspections? Or could a shop such as yours do it? Does anyone know the cost involved in this? Thanks again guys this is really helpful. The bike Im looking at is a theft recovery with a salvage title. Someone stole all the plastics but they have been replaced with OEM parts.

Yes any DMV registered garage can do the inspection, including my shop. So if you need to just stop by with the bike if you get it. Just so you know you will also have to take it to DMV so they can do a VIN inspection on it. As long as you take all the right steps its not really that big of a deal getting it streetable again.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p