Main Menu

SSA Plans for 2009

Started by Dandelion, October 09, 2008, 02:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoPutz

typically we tend to drop into two groups in which the slightly faster people ride their pace and the second group rides at their own pace and we have many points at which we meet back up. And we always say the next point. We don't endorse being stupid on the roads! And always always wear your gear (not a must but a suggestion)!!!

Adiggity

Wow, when did you guys start running different groups? All the rides I went on....back in the 80's  :D (really just a few years ago) were 1 group. We had a very wide variation of skill levels and just always had a leader (leaders did sometimes go back and forth during rides) and a sweeper. The leader and sweeper were determined at the meeting spot in the morning and depended on who was there. Most of the time we had 3 or 4 regular "long time SSAers" that showed up to do these things. The sweeper never passed anyone and was there to make sure the whole group made it to the planned meeting spot. If you felt like doing the speed limit the whole way, no problem, the sweeper would hang back with you. We really never rode more than 20 mph over the speed limits in most cases anyways. I think doing it that way makes it more of a "club". IMO, you shouldn't split the groups. All are welcome and made to feel like they are with friends. And on that same note, nobody should feel like they are holding anyone back. Ride your pace and you will make it to the meeting spot and everyone will wait until you and the sweeper get there. No matter who you ride with you should never fell pressured to ride any faster than you are comfortable with. That was one of the things I loved most about riding with this group when I started. The really good riders were never that much further ahead anyways because they never rode at 100% or even 90%. I do agree that the Sunday rides should be the first club priority. To me that is the foundation of this club. And I think the schedule still incorporates Carson as a starting place some times.

To comment on a few other things, I would like to see some dates for our trackdays as soon as we know them so people can plan to make them before they plan other trackdays or have races. We shouldn't get any dates that are during any AFM or any of the local AMA/MotoGP/WSBK races. There a quite a few local AFMers that would probably come out to support our group if we do that. I know I will make more of a commitment to do so and help out with whatever I can there.

On a personal note, it is really hard for me to make the bike nights now that I live in Fallon. So I can't commit to make all of them. I will do my best and can guarantee I will make a few. But there are more that I won't make then there are that I will.

That's all for now, I gotta go back to work.  :)

weavefish

i saw you at 1... it was kinda like seeing bigfoot lol  ;D
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Adiggity

Quote from: weavefish on October 14, 2008, 01:04:02 PM
Ha. I was at 3 or 4. Funny, I was going to say I only saw you at 1.  :P

MotoPutz

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to point out. Its no that we decide to split into two groups, its that those who ride a tad bit faster (20mph over) tend to slowly break away from the group and we always have a meeting point to make sure everyone is still with us. Everyone should ride at their own pace. Thats the idea of the sunday ride, to enjoy yourself. Get there in a safe manner! All are welcome!!! We don't care what you ride or how fast you are.

I hope that clears that up.

And Andy, we know you try buddy, we just like giving you crap about it!

Oneup

Quote from: Adiggity on October 14, 2008, 02:58:26 PM
Quote from: weavefish on October 14, 2008, 01:04:02 PM
Ha. I was at 3 or 4. Funny, I was going to say I only saw you at 1.  :P

3 or 4?  Is that how you count in Fallon?
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

MotoPutz

Greg on the other hand is a slacker!!!

Adiggity

Quote from: Putz on October 15, 2008, 08:53:32 AM
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to point out. Its no that we decide to split into two groups, its that those who ride a tad bit faster (20mph over) tend to slowly break away from the group and we always have a meeting point to make sure everyone is still with us. Everyone should ride at their own pace. Thats the idea of the sunday ride, to enjoy yourself. Get there in a safe manner! All are welcome!!! We don't care what you ride or how fast you are.

I see and I agree. That is how it has always been and always should be.

Adiggity

Quote from: Oneup on October 15, 2008, 01:04:32 PM
No, that's how we count in America. Have you been in Cali so long you only understand Spanish?? Here, I'll help you out. Estas a tres o quatro noches de las motociclistas. Forgive me for grammar errors but I think you can understand that a bit better now, yes?

dmh2000

Quote from: Adiggity on October 15, 2008, 02:28:57 PM

I'm the loser who brought the whole thing up. As long as the sweeper doesn't mind, I'll ride in the back at speed limit + 5. I just felt guilty for holding other folks up.
dave

MotoPutz

Quote from: dmh2000 on October 15, 2008, 03:05:33 PM
Quote from: Adiggity on October 15, 2008, 02:28:57 PM

I'm the loser who brought the whole thing up. As long as the sweeper doesn't mind, I'll ride in the back at speed limit + 5. I just felt guilty for holding other folks up.

You would never be holding anyboby up, there are a number that like to go your same speed. And if they want to ride a tad faster then they just get more time to stretch their legs.

Oneup

Quote from: Adiggity on October 15, 2008, 02:34:13 PM
Quote from: Oneup on October 15, 2008, 01:04:32 PM
No, that's how we count in America. Have you been in Cali so long you only understand Spanish?? Here, I'll help you out. Estas a tres o quatro noches de las motociclistas. Forgive me for grammar errors but I think you can understand that a bit better now, yes?

I was at four of the five SSA trackdays and only recall seeing you briefly once. ;D. By the way, I'm not in California anymore. :P
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

A DRAGON

I wish the slower people would understand. We never mind waiting for anyone. If some newbie crashes trying to keep up. Then we're not to happy. Waiting for people to show up is no problem. WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE. RIDE AT YOUR OWN PACE. DON'T TRY AND KEEP UP WITH SOMEONE THAT IS RIDING FASTER THAN YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE RIDING. We like have new people on the rides because it's cool to hear their reactions to some of the roads we go on that aren't the Virginia City Hwy. That's probably one of the best parts about riding on Sunday's with a newer rider.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Adiggity

Quote from: Oneup on October 15, 2008, 09:02:25 PM
I was at four of the five SSA trackdays and only recall seeing you briefly once. ;D. By the way, I'm not in California anymore. :P
We were talking about bike nights. Pay attention son. And Why did you move back? You fit in so well with Californians.

Quote from: dmh2000 on October 15, 2008, 03:05:33 PM

Quote from: A DRAGON on October 15, 2008, 09:30:09 PM
I wish the slower people would understand. We never mind waiting for anyone. If some newbie crashes trying to keep up. Then we're not to happy. Waiting for people to show up is no problem. WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE. RIDE AT YOUR OWN PACE. DON'T TRY AND KEEP UP WITH SOMEONE THAT IS RIDING FASTER THAN YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE RIDING. We like have new people on the rides because it's cool to hear their reactions to some of the roads we go on that aren't the Virginia City Hwy. That's probably one of the best parts about riding on Sunday's with a newer rider.

Well said. I remember my first Sunday ride with SSA I felt so welcomed to be there and not to have to be pressured at all to try and keep up. By the time I made it to the meeting point everyone was laughing and talking about the ride. And I also was never alone. What I feel makes SSA so special is the fact that we emphasize safe predictable riding over trying to race each other to wherever we are going. It's so much funner to ride comfortably then to try and ride over your head, even if you don't crash, it's not fun to always be stressed. As a newbie you have to remember too, these guys that are taking off in front of you have been down that road a lot of times. They know where the bumps in the road are, where the "potential" hazardous areas are and when to slow down for them. You don't and aren't expected to.

Oh, and as far as the sweeper goes, Jerome and I were talking and he brought up a good point. The sweeper does necessarily always have to be the same person all day. Sometimes it's a nice break for the person who is doing the sweeping to hang back and enjoy the scenery. And sometimes even the veteran riders don't really care to ride that fast anyway.

weavefish

Quote from: Adiggity on October 16, 2008, 08:18:02 AM
Quote from: Oneup on October 15, 2008, 09:02:25 PM
We were talking about bike nights. Pay attention son. And Why did you move back? You fit in so well with Californians.

think he is still in Washington  :'(
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen