Main Menu

afternoon ride 8-15

Started by Tahoebrian5, August 14, 2013, 09:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I'm planning to head out at 4 towards yuba pass, maybe dville, maybe beyond. Post up if you are interested.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

I'm in.  Just let me know when. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Lets make it official, 4 at Starbucks.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Bigcat

You two are killin me. I'm jealous. Have fun and be safe. ;D

Mel

Was the smoke bad up there from that fire?

Mel

GreenMachine

Sorry BC.  Rolls reverse sometimes.

Lots of filthy smoke ten miles on either side of Sierraville tonight.  Heavy, but then clear everywhere else.

49's perfect on the east slope of Yuba, then a dried mud mess on the west side, all the way beyond Downieville.  So we skipped coming back the same way.  The right choice. 

Took in Mel's roads.  I just about went off a cliff in a 20 MPH hairpin and TB5 almost highsided a little further up.  I never saw what he was talking about, but I did hit a medium sized rock that I didn't see in the road.  That could have been what caused his bike to get upset.

Came back on hwy 20 after stopping to enjoy some live bands in Grass Valley.  There was some arts & crafts farmer's market thing going on.  Looked like fun.  Girls running around in short shorts.  :o  Still had time for one more excursion on the way back.  Mel's other gem.  Now that road I could do.  New pavement and not too tricky for my old bike.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GM, sounds like you guys had a fun ride, minus the west side of Yuba pass. Was that hairpin you're talking about on the narrow, twisty section of Pleasant Valley Rd along the mountain where it drops down to the Yuba River park with the covered bridge? How did you like the roller coaster section after the bridge? Yeah, Washington Rd is a fun run down into Little Washington 8)! Did you guys do Ridge Rd up to Pike City also? I'm sorry I missed this ride, but had stuff to do before heading out of town this weekend.

Mel

nvgixxer

Yikes, muddy mess on west side of Yuba? Sounds like the Sunday route (if a scheduled ride is still on) needs to be changed!?
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

Tahoebrian5

Yes, they took all the dirt out of the ditches and put it on the road. But thank god the ditches are clean.

GreenMachine

Quote from: nvgixxer on August 16, 2013, 05:29:58 AM
Yikes, muddy mess on west side of Yuba? Sounds like the Sunday route (if a scheduled ride is still on) needs to be changed!?
Most definitely.  It'll need to rain enough for the cars to wash that silt out of every nook and cranny.   The centerline has a nice thin dust coat.  Makes it look like the bike up in front is going so fast it's burning rubber.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 16, 2013, 09:04:47 AM
Yes, they took all the dirt out of the ditches and put it on the road. But thank god the ditches are clean.
It's sad really.  There were several sections where they never cleaned any ditches.

GreenMachine

Mel,

Some had their moments, like the roller coaster section. I pulled the front off the ground on some of them trying to look all TB5-ish.  My bike doesn't do it as well.  Can be sloppy if not done perfectly straight.

You guessed it right!  That was the 20 MPH turn.  I don't think I've blown a turn all year until that one.  I may have been concentrating on the two bikinis walking back to their car 1/2 mile back.  I blew that corner spectacularly!