Main Menu

Add Forum Features !

Started by Scott, September 29, 2010, 05:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

This would enable the user to do things like embed a video from YouTube with a copy paste of a simple HTML code.
like this. . .
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JzPn1Cxcifc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JzPn1Cxcifc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

for the admins this is how to do it.

Admin Control Panel -> Post and Topics -> Bulletin Board Code tab and check "Enable basic HTML in posts"
GSX-R600

n10sive

that does leave the forum open to malware injection and a slew of other problems does it not? Most forums now support the new BBC code [youtube]. The thing to do is see if there is an upgrade to this for that feature.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Scott

as far as my knowledge the only current HTML infection out there that would even remotely be able to infect a forum would be a Trojan/Framer through BrowserCompAp.js in which the .js (java Script)  would have to be FTP'd on to the server first. so realistically theres no real threat to the forum. and for the users its not any more dangerous than a Click Here link.
since it only allows users to post basic html i think its pretty safe.
everything would still be required to be hosted off site as is it does now also.
GSX-R600

Adiggity

I don't even know what that means...... help us laymen out would ya?  :D

n10sive

it means that request should go to Catz. If all it is to do is embed youtube videos, I don't feel it is worth the risk. I would prefer that use 'mods' not make that decision and forward it up to the site owner.

Adiggity

Oh, I wasn't going to allow it....I don't even know what it is..... :D I was just curious what it means.

Scott

YouTube would definitely be the most handy function with HTML
but with a simple SMF mod we could avoid the whole security issue and just add support to
Embed Youtube videos into posts with the use of
bbcode.

SMF YouTube mod

kinda like the ***### Site only SMF not proboards
GSX-R600

n10sive

this upgrade was what I was talking about before. Would be a good addition

youngster775

2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F