Main Menu

Any Teetotalers Here?

Started by Mel, October 17, 2014, 07:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

As the title asks, who here has given up alcohol? This subject came up in conversation with a couple friends just the other day, so I figured I would post up here about the subject. I personally only have a few friends who are true teetotalers. If you have quit drinking, how long has it been? If you feel up to it, explain why you quit.

This past May 25th was 43 years since I have had a drink or even a sip of any alcohol. That was the day in 1971 that I got my discharge at McChord AFB in Washington. As I walked off the base as a civilian, I made the decision to quit cold turkey on the spot, and have never looked back.

My parents never smoked or drank, and I never had a drink of alcohol until I enlisted. So, my only experience with alcohol was during the 3 years I was in the military. Unfortunately, I had a couple issues when it came to drinking. First, I couldn't just social drink, it was all or nothing, and that led to the second issue, which was wanting to fight or get violent in some way. Friends have told me it probably had something to do with my Native American heritage for my intolerance to alcohol, and maybe they were right, who knows. In any event, I figured I would probably end up dead or in jail if kept on drinking, so at 22 years old, said enough is enough and that was that. When I look back it's still hard to believe that I could make that decision at such a young age. Well, that's the short version of my story . Anyone else?

Let me finish off with a humorous side note. I worked at a Margaritaville bar and restaurant down on the beach for 17 years, and people would just chuckle or shake their head when they found out I didn't drink :)!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

I thought you wanted some asset or liability T-totaled.  I fairly good at that.

But stop drinking?  It's hardly a vice for me.  I've found that I like to drink most when I'm feeling on top of the World or when there's something to celebrate.  Whereas when there's bad news in my life, I'll have something else, like water or maybe a rootbeer.

One or two beers or glasses of wine in an evening when it's appropriate is enough.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on October 17, 2014, 08:50:33 PM
I quit every morning.
While camping, I've been known to have one for breakfast.  It helps wash the pancakes down.  Very effective!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

One look at your avatar indicates otherwise
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine