Main Menu

Maxima 10 wt on scotts dampers?

Started by JENX!!!, February 07, 2009, 08:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JENX!!!

Can I upgrade the oil in my scotts damper with maxima 10 wt fork fluid?
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

jlavallee

Not sure but 10w seems pretty heavy for a damper. Get the specs and make sure whatever you use is close to recommended cst @40 and cst@100 since the bottles often vary by manufacturer. Scotts should list what they reccomend.

Shoot Andy a PM, all the AFM guys probably know exactly what works. ;)

Oneup

I'm pretty sure that scotts recommends that a damper be worked on only by qualified scotts mechanics.  They use special bolts to keep the average person from being able to tear them apart.  If your damper needs to get serviced take it to a shop otherwise I would recommend leaving it be.  It is hard to "upgrade" a damper by changing the oil when the stock oil is specifically chosen for that application.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

JENX!!!

scotts sell the oil they put in all their dampers, but they dont say what wt it is.....its actually pretty easy to take apart., a few hex heads and thats it., took mine apart for cleaning., was suprisingly clean after 10k some miles on it.....

jlavallee

Here is the service manual.

http://www.scottsperformance.com/litrack/259.pdf

It lists a Bel Ray 3w and a Spectro 2.5w oil at the top. If you can't get these and need it now then look up their specs and compare off that.

Adiggity

I have taken mine apart a few times to replace broken parts. If you need some help Sidney, just give me a shout. I think you have my # but just in case, 775-772-2136  :)

That service manual pretty much says it all.

JENX!!!

Got it apart no problem....I guess im just gonna order the oil from scotts just to play it safe....I have 10 wt oil just sitting around here so i was wondering if that would work. ;D...o well.

Thanks for all the replies.