Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Bike won't start

Started by Jimbo, April 01, 2009, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

My brother-in-law has a 03 600rr it was running fine last summer then sat all winter never started. Routine tune up was performed last year as well. He went to start it last weekend and won't start. I've checked the plugs and they have spark, we sprayed ether into the intake and still won't start. Does anybody know what else might be wrong? or know of a shop that has reasonable rates he doesn't have much money.

Thanks

MotoPutz

Check your fuel pump ?reply? and fuse. Can you hear the fuel pump prime the system when you turn the key on?

JENX!!!

might be a stupid question....did u check the battery? ::)
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

MotoPutz

By saying that ether didn't help I assume its turning over...

zipbyu

yea, Its could be a fuel problem sence you have spark.  See if you can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned.  Moisture in the tank?  A little late but I use fuel satblizer if the bike sits for a while.  Did the bike fall over?  Try to reset the computer, this can be done by disconnecting the battery foe a 30-60 min. for most cars or bikes.  Simple basic stull.

Oneup

Another dumb question, did you accidentally hit the kill switch.  Hondas will still turn over even if the kill switch is engaged (not sure why).  All it does is shut down the fuel injectors, still get spark and the motor still turns over.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

MotoPutz

Quote from: Oneup on April 01, 2009, 07:22:35 PM
Another dumb question, did you accidentally hit the kill switch.  Hondas will still turn over even if the kill switch is engaged (not sure why).  All it does is shut down the fuel injectors, still get spark and the motor still turns over.

Tis true...

Jimmie

Ok all, it was said that it had spark, so it is turning over. And it should have fired on the starting fluid. So something else is going on. What color was the spark? Do a compression test on it. It could be a stuck valve/rings, although not to common, it can happen. Get a little old bad gas on the valve stem and it can stick a valve. We had a rash of that happen to some CMX250 Honda's that Castle AF base used for motorcycle training. If it has low compression do a leak down test to see where the leak is. Or...pour a little oil into each cylinder and then retry to start it. I prefer carb cleaner to starting fluid, less volatile and easier on the engine. See if that works for ya...

Jimbo

It has a blue spark, if a valve is stuck how would you unstick the valve that might be the problem since he let it sit all winter. I don't know if this makes a difference but it was also outside the whole winter he lives in a apartment with no garage. Oh, also the fuel pump is working because I can hear it prime the system when the key is on.

Oneup

Quote from: Jimmie on April 02, 2009, 09:57:17 AM
Ok all, it was said that it had spark, so it is turning over. And it should have fired on the starting fluid. So something else is going on. What color was the spark? Do a compression test on it. It could be a stuck valve/rings, although not to common, it can happen. Get a little old bad gas on the valve stem and it can stick a valve. We had a rash of that happen to some CMX250 Honda's that Castle AF base used for motorcycle training. If it has low compression do a leak down test to see where the leak is. Or...pour a little oil into each cylinder and then retry to start it. I prefer carb cleaner to starting fluid, less volatile and easier on the engine. See if that works for ya...

A stuck valve on that bike would generally contact the piston which would be immediately noticeable.  I think it is an injector problem.  If nothing is telling the injectors to open then the bike won't get any fuel.  The fuel pump will still prime, it will still get spark, it will still turn over but never fire.  Check the exhaust for any residual fuel, if the inside of the header pipes are wet with gas then you will know if the injectors are working.  If they are dry I would start looking at everything attached to the injectors.  It could be a bad ground or bad connection in one of the harnesses.  I had this happen to me in a car once, the harness connection became corroded and no power went to the fuel module.  I still say check the kill switch and its connections because on Hondas this is exactly what it is designed to do.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

TWF

water in fuel or bad fuel from sitting

Jimmie

But it should have fired with the starting fluid. That's why I said check the compression.
The valve could only be slightly stuck open which would not touch the piston. We had to
remove the head and remove the valves and clean them up with Berryman's B-12 Chem Tool.

SPL

Keep in mind if it sat all winter with the fuel in it, and you drowned it in starter fluid and it still didnt cough, Id look at the throttle bodies after you check to see if the injectors are firing. 

If the fuel went bad in the tank that means it could also be bad in the throttle bodies meaning GUNK inside of them. Hopefully thats not the case.  Id check the basics then possibly look at the TB's.
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

2wcp

Check all the electrical connections. You said somebody worked on it, so maybe something got loose or unplugged. If you still can't figure it out, bring it by and I'll take a look.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

jlavallee

An obvious thing but is the battery fully charged? I know it sounds silly but some bikes are very sensitive to voltage and will crank, spark but not fire if the voltage is low. My old GSXR was very sensitive like that for some reason.