Main Menu

Yet another new guy

Started by TedG, October 20, 2008, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedG

Quote from: A DRAGON on October 22, 2008, 02:41:02 AM
Hey TedG. Are you the Kawasaki boy I rode with this weekend that took all those wide lines so I couldn't pass >:(?   I really had fun though. If your the same your kinda Grandfathered in to the club anyway.  ;) welcome to the forum anyway.
Dandelion I didn't know Ricardo and Deee Plane were on our forum. That really made me laugh. Thanks for the laugh.

That would be me. If those saddlebags got in your way, I apologize.  :D

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2005 Green ZX10 (the fast color) for sale
2018 Kawasaki H2

A DRAGON

Ted Welcome to the fourm. I hope you can stay in touch with this fourm. Don't feel like an outsider. attend anything you can make. We'll love to have you around.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Timegrommet

I like the saddlebag idea. I think I'll use them on the R-1 for the next track day.....SWEET! ::)

Adiggity

Or you could use training wheels and have the same effect.... ;D  :D

TedG

Quote from: Timegrommet on October 23, 2008, 10:02:09 AM
I like the saddlebag idea. I think I'll use them on the R-1 for the next track day.....SWEET! ::)
Make sure you have them loaded up like I did with cold weather gear, wet weather gear, chain and cable locks, food and drink, extra shields, extra gloves, tire repair equipment, phone and blackberry chargers, bike cleanup supplies etc. Makes changing direction far more interesting. 
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2018 Kawasaki H2

weavefish

Quote from: Timegrommet on October 23, 2008, 10:02:09 AM
where did stewie go!!!
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

SJ2477

Welcome aboard TedG.

I see you ride a Concours 14...  I'm seriously looking at that for my next bike.  Did you buy at K.O.R.?  ABS or non ABS model? 

I've looked at the FJR and ST1300..  Choices choices!

z1rider

TedG

Quote from: SJ2477 on October 23, 2008, 07:59:03 PM
Welcome aboard TedG.

I see you ride a Concours 14...  I'm seriously looking at that for my next bike.  Did you buy at K.O.R.?  ABS or non ABS model? 

I've looked at the FJR and ST1300..  Choices choices!

Yes I did buy it a K.O.R. they treat me quite well. I got a non ABS.....BUT if I had it to do over again I would get the ABS. Here is the reason. I am a sport bike rider and when I decided I wanted a C14 I said to myself "I don't want anything between me and my brakes". Then after owning it for a while I came to the realization that I ride the thing in weather and conditions that I would have never rode my sport bike. Going out on a rainy day is actually fun on this thing. On long rides you can find yourself in snowy conditions or roads that have heavy gravel and sand, simply because of the time of year.  So ABS would have come in very handy. I have only had the thing a bit over a year and almost have 30,000 miles on it.

Here is what I have to say about the 14 (note I have ridden both the FJR and the ST).
First and formost the 14 is a more powerful bike.
The sixth gear is a true overdrive.
Next it is much smoother than any of the others, it goes to stupid smooth where you are cruzing at 80 and you have to ask yourself is the thing even running? 
Next there is ABSOLUTELY NO shaft jacking, you can hammer it on an off in the middle of a turn and the thing just stays neutral.
Next there is near sport bike handling, granted the thing is heavy but it changes direction very, very well.
Next the slipper clutch really makes this thing a joy ride on a fast twisty road.
The seating position is ultra comfortable, I can and have gone over 800 miles in a day with no issues.
The bags are ultra sweet, they come off and go on easier than any other and they are very roomy.
The suspension and Brakes are basically a ZX14(without the front compression adjustment).
The stock tires are pure junk. It needs Michelin Pilot Roads 2s first thing.

All in all, I have to say this is probably the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. And beleive me I have ridden quite a few. In my younger years I was a motorcycle mechanic, factory trained Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, BMW, Can-Am, KTM just to name a few. And since then I have been an active street bike rider. 
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2018 Kawasaki H2

SJ2477

Thanks for the intel. TedG. 

I've been reading quite a bit about all of those sport touring bikes (C14, ST1300, Spirit ST, FJR and F800ST) on ST-N forums.  I was very interested in the BMW but for $18K and the price of maintanance is outrageous.  It's been ruled out.  Everyone really likes the FJR but they also say you can't go wrong with anyone of those three Japanese imports. 

I wasn't too impressed with the service dept. at K.O.R.  I didn't buy my Ninja there but it was bought there originally. 

I usually look for used before I buy new but these C14's are brand spankin new.  I saw a used one in CA somewhere on Craigslist for around $9K.

TedG

Quote from: SJ2477 on October 24, 2008, 07:35:46 PM
Thanks for the intel. TedG. 

I've been reading quite a bit about all of those sport touring bikes (C14, ST1300, Spirit ST, FJR and F800ST) on ST-N forums.  I was very interested in the BMW but for $18K and the price of maintanance is outrageous.  It's been ruled out.  Everyone really likes the FJR but they also say you can't go wrong with anyone of those three Japanese imports. 

I wasn't too impressed with the service dept. at K.O.R.  I didn't buy my Ninja there but it was bought there originally. 

I usually look for used before I buy new but these C14's are brand spankin new.  I saw a used one in CA somewhere on Craigslist for around $9K.

Hopefully you can find a good deal.
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2018 Kawasaki H2

Dragone

oldBolt

REF: 2008 Concours 14 9500.00 Obo
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=191845

SJ2477,

Saw this last week.  I thought you might be interested.

Regards
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

SJ2477

Thank you for the intel.

I'd prefer an ABS model.  I've got to pay off my cage, actually bigger than your average cage, but still a cage.  Should be paid off in a few months then I'll look a lot harder..
SJ

TedG

Quote from: scotinexcile on October 28, 2008, 10:09:27 PM
Hey Ted -
Welcome to the wonderful world of Sierra SportBike.  A great group of people.  We have bike nights every first Tuesday of the month  for the winter at LaVecchia's on Virginia Street and then every Tuesday once snowboard season is over (same place).  Look forward to meeting you.
Thank you, I have been to the Tuesday bike night before. 
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2018 Kawasaki H2