Main Menu

Yamaha 2015 FZ-07

Started by Mel, August 05, 2014, 11:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

I got to check out the new Yamaha FZ-07 at Michael's here in town the other day. If I ever sold my FZ6, this is what I would buy next hands down! I've owned many liter bikes, but you really can't use all that power on the street, especially on the roads I enjoy. I personally get no rush out of going fast in the long straights. In fact, to me there is no difference between 150mph or 50mph on a straight road...zero adrenalin rush. I've got to have corners and be able to work the road and the bike to have any real fun, and the FZ-07 would be an awesome bike for my kind of roads. This would be a hooligan bike compared to my FZ6, which I can hustle down the road at a pretty decent pace. The FZ-07 has 50ft lbs of torque at 6,500rpm compared to my FZ6 at 47ft lbs of torque at 10,000rpm, and the FZ-07 is 70lbs lighter than my FZ6...you do the math for real world performance ;)! Here's a write up on it from Cycle World magazine. If you have not seen one in person, get down to Michael's and check it out!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/27/2015-yamaha-fz-07-first-ride-review-naked-sportbike-photos-specifications/

Mel

GreenMachine

:terrified  Come on Mel, that thing is slap-its-mom ugly.  And only 11.5:1 pistons?  Do they still make those?  Doesn't seem like the kind of performance machine with any character or appeal.  At least not for me.  No wind protection.  Heck, you might as well ride a bicycle.  Except in this bike's case, you need a bag for its head or yours, so people don't know who's riding it.

I thought my next bike would be the Ninja 1K, but they had one at WSBK in July.  I hated it from the moment I sat on it.  The ergonomics were all wrong.   From the super high handlebars to the super low foot pegs to the fixed position seat, h-a-t-e-d it!  The ZX-10R felt a ton more natural, like stepping into my office.

I'm not sure what the manufacturers are thinking with all the droopy headlight bikes.  Maybe they're appealing to the children who've grown up watching transformer movies.  I think the styling is for them.  Give me function with some appeal.  I want wind protection.  I want handling.  I want plenty of grunt from the engine without having to spin it up to 10,000 RPM just to hold my line.  And I want range.

For you, please keep the FZ-6.  Your bike is so much sexier than the 7.  And with a tiny 3.7g fuel tank, it maxes out at 215 miles to the tank, which means you'll be worrying about gas and hitting reserve far sooner.  That bike wouldn't have made it to Foresthill with us Sunday.  I don't see you on that bike.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Now tell us how you really feel :)    I've ridden a FZ6 and would second that it lacks low end power (especially at elevation).  It will move, but takes some time and effort to get moving quick.   Compare that to my sons SV650 Vtwin torque 47ftlb, that has a much stronger acceleration and linear power band. The SV has more usable power and doesn't require excessive shifting to keep revs high.

No experience with a parallel twin but with 50 ft lbs torque and low weight would probably be a blast.

Range is an issue on these newer bikes, they must figure the majority of riding will be running around town.  Read that ABS is not even offered on the FZ-07???  Price was pretty attractive however.

Mel you should get one that way GM would have to look at it in his mirror all ride.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Too honest?  The thing is, as you get older you care more about speaking what younger people are thinking, but are too reserved to comment: if you don't have something good to say, don't say anything at all.  Screw that!  I like Mel.  I'd hope others would say the same if I were making a choice they didn't agree with.  It doesn't mean I'll take their advice, but I'll take it under advisement. 

In the end, it boils down to what he wants.  Understandably, he'll want a bike he can put a foot down at stoplights with, so lower seating will have a lot of weight in his book.  If he does get it, I may have to tolerate that thing in my mirrors, but not beyond 160 miles.  If he gets too annoying, I'll just keep going.  :howdy

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GM, you're turning into a grumpy old man before your time :)! I think you may be too set in your own ways and unwilling to change with the times like my younger brother who has had the same goofy hairdo since high school, and he's 61 :)! I think you would love the Ninja 1K once you spent some time on it, but you have to be willing to try new things to truly have a VALID opinion, and not just speculation.

I know the FZ-07 is not your style of bike for the type of riding you do, and the roads you like to ride on...but that Ninja 1K has your name all over it brother 8)!

Yep Rich, I have to work my FZ6 motor hard when the pace is spirited, and keep it up in the powerband. I have a feeling that the FZ-07 will just grunt out of corners hard without having to stay in the upper rev range all the time. It's true I have come to enjoy my 5.1 gallon tank for fuel range, but I can live with having to gas up more often if I'm having more fun on another bike. I like the tighter, twisty stuff with minimal straights and I think the FZ-07 would shine on these type of roads. If I did get one though, I wouldn't want to have GM have to look at my ugly bike in his mirrors, so coming down Buck's Lake I would just dive into the first corner deep on the brakes, tap GM on the shoulder as I'm going under him, and say bye bye :) :) :)!!

GreenMachine

One thing I won't be doing is making any changes to my riding technique just to appeal to changing times.  Although, dragging elbow will be next on my list.

If your bother is getting laid every night, his hairdo may be goofy, but it's working.  :thumbup

The Ninja 1K is out.  It's off my list.  Maybe I wasn't clear when I said a couple times already that I hated it.  What I meant to say when I said I was considering it during my speculating days, was that after I sat on it, my valid opinion was that there'd be no way to ride this bike, for sport or for touring.  WTF? It's more like a cruiser.  I'd hate this bike. I hate what they've done to this beautiful bike.  I hate the high handlebars.  I hate the low foot pegs.  And I especially hate the seat.  I can't move around on this bike at all.   It's less of everything I need to have an enjoyable ride. 

Overall, I'd say my valid opinion was that I hated it...overall I mean.  I know hate is such a strong word, but it's accurate.  I guess I could use loath, but then someone might think that my opinion wasn't firm.  So, I'll use the word hate when referring to my opinion, which I'd say I'm firm on, of the Ninja 1K. 

WTH kind of riding is this?

And this?  Talk about goofy looking!

Mel

GM, I think you actually hate that Ninja 1K :)! I want to say to the newer guys on here and some of the older ones that I just like razzing GM because I consider him a buddy! In the military razzing your buddies is a way of life, but more so in a war zone where you are stuck with them 24/7 ;)! I think Cobra23 knows what I'm talking about here...it's a way to have fun and relieve the tension under those conditions8)! GM, you're a cool hombre and fun to ride with and hang out with!

I just saw this quote over on SBR and it fits right into this discussion :)!

Cardinal Rule in Motorcycling - "You buy what gives you wood - everything else is 1/2 way out the door before you get home".

Mel

RichVee4

First impression of the Ninja 1K is, ugly.    The front looks like a V strom and overall not sure what category they were trying for.

Long way from wood on that one :)
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

I was jazzed up on the FZ-09 when it came out. All the mags were loving it. Now they are loving the 07 even more. It's lighter, has a great motor and doesn't suffer from the few flaws of the 09. I dig the 07, I'd seriously look into one to replace the SV.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019