Main Menu

Wed 6/25 Ride before the heat wave

Started by Tahoebrian5, June 25, 2013, 08:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

Man this weekend is gonna be a cooker. I'm gonna take tomorrow off to ride and work the weekend. Anyone game? Destination anywhere as long as there is good turns and I'm gone all day. I'm considering doing the fecta route.. s.lake, icehouse, WWS, MRR, Colfax towards Dville, cut over to Oreville, Bucks, and Maybe a La Porte bonus depending on math... but I could be persuaded otherwise for good reason. Post up if you're interested.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

I was just thinking the same thing on Sunday, seeing the mildly cool weather all over.  Alas, I had to work and the Fecta ride is one of those that you have to leave at dawn or else completing it is a bust.  Refresh my memory, but it's over 600 miles?

My biggest worry is what this weather is washing onto the road surfaces.  It's raining over all the Sierra roadways.  It only takes one corner with sand to ruin a perfectly good ride and I hate that.  The last time I hit sand was the day after a rain storm.  If I were to ride tomorrow, I think my mindset would constantly be on which corner will it be?

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Sand Schmand! Just dial it back a bit unless you can see through the turns.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 25, 2013, 11:03:57 AM
Sand Schmand! Just dial it back a bit unless you can see through the turns.
Everything about tomorrow sounds perfect, except for two things.  It's 2:30 PM and it's still raining of the Sierra's, basically everything north of Placerville.  Which means:

1) sand and sporadically moist conditions with a 100% chance every life threatening corner will be wet or sandy or both wet & sandy, Murphy's Law.
2) the rain will loosen up rocks, so there's another obstacle, literally.

I'm a puzz.  I'm out.   :hiding 

Sucks, because I think riding Wednesday would be ideal to avoid holiday traffic and the weather should be spectacular.  Sorry bro.  Thursday or any other day?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

So what you are saying, GM, is that you are incapable of enjoying yourself on motorcycle unless it is riding a pace at which encountering unexpected sand or dampness in a corner will result in an unavoidable crash?
What do you do when there is unexpected sand/gravel/water in a corner on an otherwise nice day?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

Excellent point you have there dub! Regardless I wasnt expecting it to still be raining at nearly 6. I'm hoping it's going to be dry enough to ride tomorrow but will probably hold off on the dawn patrol departure.

GreenMachine

Text me if you get into trouble.

Wouldn't the conditions tomorrow present an awesome dirt riding day?  You may not get another for several months.  Maybe a better use of the day tomorrow?

Tahoebrian5

Yep, it's a perfect day for dirt. Thing is I already rode dirt this week and my fresh new tires need to be scrubbed in so time to get my fix. I'm going to work until about noon to let the roads dry up a bit then head out. Anyone changes their mind let me know. Perfect day out there!

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on June 25, 2013, 03:24:41 PM
So what you are saying, GM, is that you are incapable of enjoying yourself on motorcycle unless it is riding a pace at which encountering unexpected sand or dampness in a corner will result in an unavoidable crash?
What do you do when there is unexpected sand/gravel/water in a corner on an otherwise nice day?
Incapable and unavoidable are such a strong words.  My world isn't so black and white.  There's a lot of grey in between.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 26, 2013, 07:07:25 AM
Yep, it's a perfect day for dirt. Thing is I already rode dirt this week and my fresh new tires need to be scrubbed in so time to get my fix. I'm going to work until about noon to let the roads dry up a bit then head out. Anyone changes their mind let me know. Perfect day out there!
Saner minds prevail. 

Enjoy getting your fix.

GreenMachine

It would have been a stretch anyway.  Beautiful day, but my little pooch still needs care.  He's getting better though.  He even balance beam walked along the concrete mower strip this morning.