dr1150

I had a great time at the bumpy RFR on Saturday,
for the first track day of the year.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 27, 2013, 10:07:48 AM
I know.  I know.  I should be doing the ride calendar, but it's so beautiful out.  Gotta ride!

Speaking of which, I went to the weekly ride sub-forum to check on what the ride was this week and I couldn't find a 2013 schedule.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 02, 2013, 07:45:36 AM
I'm planning on going to the 18th n 19th this month. I'd be happy if they just swept it better

It was perfectly clean last week.  There are a few new bumps, though.  I'll let you find them for yourself, it will be more fun that way!

Quote from: dr1150 on May 02, 2013, 08:49:13 AM
I had a great time at the bumpy RFR on Saturday,
for the first track day of the year.

You were out on Saturday, Dave?  I didn't get to see you.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dr1150

Yes I was, I will also be out there on the 18th.
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

Good to hear that you are out riding Dave!   I don't keep up on the track schedules, but this early in the season would be ideal for RFR.  If there were room for another bike I could have shared in the cost.

2013 schedule.  Alright, already!  I'll do it tonight, unless I have company, of course.  So much to research.  Dub, you're in the right place, I just haven't posted anything.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

I've been looking at the classes offered by Precision out at RFR, and it looks like a good way to learn how to control the bike at speed in a safe environment (safer than Mt. Rose Highway or Hwy. 50 anyway).  How much riding experience would you guys suggest before attempting the low-bracket class (class C I think)?  I've been considering trying it next season, after 6-8 months of riding experience.

dub

Dave, what were you riding at the track?  Did you replace the Duc with another sportbike?

Quote from: RenoRider75 on May 03, 2013, 10:14:33 AM
I've been looking at the classes offered by Precision out at RFR, and it looks like a good way to learn how to control the bike at speed in a safe environment (safer than Mt. Rose Highway or Hwy. 50 anyway).  How much riding experience would you guys suggest before attempting the low-bracket class (class C I think)?  I've been considering trying it next season, after 6-8 months of riding experience.

You should have enough experience that operating the controls of the motorcycle, throttle, clutch, brakes, gears, is second nature.  You should be comfortable on your bike and proficient in the basics.  In other words, the track isn't the place to learn how to operate your motorcycle.  After the MSF, continue to practice the basics in a big parking lot or a quiet street.  Then do a few day rides.  If I had to put a number on it, I would say maybe 1000 miles of seat time should be more than enough.  There's no need to wait until next season.  Trackdays at RFR happen all the way into October; you will be more than ready by then.

Doing a couple trackdays is a great way to become a safer rider on the street.  You will learn more about riding a motorcycle in one day on the track than you could in a lifetime of riding over mtn passes.  The single most common cause of single vehicle motorcycle crashes is failure to negotiate a corner (they will teach you that in your MSF).  What that almost always means is the rider came into the corner too hot, or the radius tightened unexpectedly, and they felt they 'weren't going to make it'.  So they stood the bike up, target fixated, and ran off the road or crashed into something.  What they don't know is that more than likely, if they had just leaned the bike over, looked where they wanted to go and continued to make smooth inputs to the bars and throttle, they probably could have ridden away with no drama.  But they don't know that because they have no idea just how capable their motorcycle is and they have to idea how to manipulate the controls in order to get it to do what they want it to do. 

Once you get it on the track you will be shocked at how capable even your Ninja 650 is.  It's capability will far exceed your skill, at first.  You will learn how far over it can lean, until it drags hard parts, then further.  You will learn how hard it can brake before it flips it's self end over end.  You will learn how hard and deep into the corner you can carry the brakes while increasing lean angle.  These skills will translate directly on the street the first time you come into a corner with a little more speed than you intended. 
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dr1150

Hello GM, I had a friend take me to the track, I can't get there on my own.
Hello Wiles, I sold the Duc, and replaced it with a GSXR 750 track only bike.
empty the pot of luck."