Main Menu

Ninja 300 or 650?

Started by RenoRider75, April 26, 2013, 10:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I understand the Yamaha riding school uses the FZ6r (edit.. was confused.. I meant FZ6) on the track for their instructors. I know a guy that teaches and he said its because the more upright position allows them to move around more to watch the students. The point being if they ride them on the track and are teaching peopl on R6's and 1's, I'm sure they are very capable machines.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Mel

Sounds like the OP has made his choice and I can't really argue with it. It fits him and he seems to like what it offers. It will be quite awhile before he outgrows that bike being he is a new rider.

Yeah, the FZ6R is basically a detuned FZ6 aimed more at the new riders entering the sport. Why they chose the R designation at the end is beyond me :). I love my FZ6 and the way I have it set up, and to me it really is a Swiss Army knife type of bike that fill lots of riding roles. I just turned 64 last week, but I can still surprise most sportbike riders running down a twisty mountain road at a spirited pace on the ol' FZ6 ;).

Mel

Tahoebrian5

I believe I was one of those suprised sportbike riders. Mel does very well on his setup.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RenoRider75

Glad to know there are some wise riders here...   :D  I'm almost 40, but everyone here has told me that you're never too old to start.

The FZ6R is really nice, and I love the sound of the inline 4.  I would probably buy it if it offered ABS, though it is a little out of my range for a first bike.  I think with the Ninja 650, I'll be able to learn to ride and grow with the bike, and then a few years down the road upgrade to something a little quicker.  Being older and wiser, I'm not the speed demon I was in my 20's, so maybe the 650 will last me a very long time.

Of course, my wife is pretty tall and she's been talking about getting a bike eventually, so maybe she will be my excuse for buying another bike.   ;)

RenoRider75

P.S. - Pretty sure this would be me on a 600cc - 1000cc supersport...   :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-kKY6WOIMw&t=93