Main Menu

Yuba - Going to check on conditions

Started by GreenMachine, April 27, 2013, 10:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I know.  I know.  I should be doing the ride calendar, but it's so beautiful out.  Gotta ride!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

KKM

Yes it is a nice day. Just got back back from a short run. On Sunday I am going down 88 to Jackson and explore some side roads down there. So far I am not impressed with any thing I have seen. Still a lot of sand.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

GreenMachine

KKM, I'd agree with that.  There are some roads that could have potential, but the ones I've been on are lined with houses.  Who wants to step it up when there are playground balls flying across the street?  There was another road east of 49 near New Melones, I believe.  Looked great on the map.  It was good on the north side of the bridge, but the south side had a ridiculously slow speed limit and the road surface was rather spotty.   But hey, if other people love 'em, good for them!
So.  Between Sattley and Yuba Pass is still covered with light to heavy patches of gravel/sand.  :surrender :squid  They sealed the cracks and use the sand to embed into the tar.  That'll be better for grip after it cures.  So be careful.   

Almost perfectly clean everywhere else.  80% pace and puck polishing wasn't a problem today.  Although, I cheated.  To be safe, I took it slow on the first pass, then on my second lap (Yuba Pass west) I took it up to normal speed.

Lots of softball sized rocks in the road throughout too.  I say lots, but about a half dozen or so and there are sharp splinters smashed in places.  If you stay on the lookout for them, you shouldn't have a problem. 

And there were two LEOs staking out the D-ville route and one going back and forth between Truckee and Sierraville.  Dunno if some of that had to do with SCR's group ride today, but they would have had to pass two of them going in both directions.  Saw what appeared to be there group in Downieville, but I was just passing through today.
The weather was splendid!  :chilling
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

KKM

Hell maybe it would have better to just go to RFR this weekend. I dont think they sand the track there do they? Anyhow I will go to Jackson and just try to have fun on the back roads tomorrow.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

Grey Goat

I might check-out my fav - CA108 (Sonora Pass) on Sunday (via Monitor).  Since it's closed in winter, there should be minimal sand.  Just the usual hairball right corners where some marooon cut the shoulder and washed gravel into the traffic lane.  Will probably take my 4-wheel sportbike this trip, since she is less finicky than MilleR about road sand (and I can take more photo gear in S-Car).

I appreciate the earlier SSA reports from Monitor, sounds like TOO MUCH FUN.  Will try to be back in Malarky-ville ~1pm for lunch @ the sandwich shop, in case any SSA folks are hanging out.

Everyone have a great HOT Sunday!  

KKM

Its kind of funny that everybody is heading to all points trying to find some good roads.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

GreenMachine

With so little snow this winter, heck, I'm considering doing the SSA Fecta Ride here in the upcoming weeks.  Do it while it's relatively cool out.  The wildcards will be La Porte and Bucks Lake.  Not sure if they're open and ready to ride.

GreenMachine

I considered going out to RFR, still might.  Just don't want to go during the week nor when it's so hot out the tires turn to grease.

nvgixxer

Ralph and I took a 300 miler Saturday and our entire route was clean of sand with just a few very small patches of snow melt run-off here and there up towards the summit of hwy 88. Oh wow, how nice it was to see green hills and pastures again on the other side of the mountain! A fantastic canyon carving day it was. Our day started out by heading up and over hwy 50 to the Sly Park exit at Pollock Pines. Then twisty fun on into Placerville, turning south on hwy 49 and passing through Jackson to Mokelumne. Then the real twisty stuff started on route 26 on into West Point, Pioneer and eventually out onto hwy 88 and home again. We usually go on to Angels camp and back home via Ebbetts Pass, but that's still closed. Route 26 is one of the best rides out there kids, I highly recommend it when you're in the vicinity!

Jimbo
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

Tahoebrian5

Thanks for the road reports everyone. I'm hoping to go somewhere maybe Wednesday
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RenoRider75

Argh, you guys are killing me.  The MSF can't come soon enough, lol...

In the meantime, I have to have fun vicariously through your trip reports.  Thanks for the reports, can't wait to get enough experience under my belt to join you!

dub

There was no sand (nor traffic/LEOs) on the race track this weekend.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on April 29, 2013, 02:53:35 PM
There was no sand (nor traffic/LEOs) on the race track this weekend.
Speaking of RFR.  I hear they have big plans to renovate, including a complete track repave, showers and garages.  Seems hard to fathom given the history. 

What course was setup this weekend, H or C?

dub

It was C.

Yeah, the latest buzz is that there is a new guy who bought the dirt track and signed a 5 year lease on the road course and he has plans to improve.  But we've heard that before.  I'm reasonably certain that absolutely nothing will change, as usual.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I'm planning on going to the 18th n 19th this month. I'd be happy if they just swept it better
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.