Main Menu

Whats the deal with 50cc and less in NV?

Started by TygaUSA, July 24, 2010, 10:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TygaUSA

Hey all, being new here I was wondering about 50cc and less scooters. I picked up a Spree 49cc to bomb around on and it came with no plate or title (it was cheap, but legit) and I was told there is no reg/lic./ins requirement on these, also I notice people riding around without a helmet (not something I would do) on some small scooters.

So what is exactly deal with this? Just stay to the right of the lane and you are good to go? Thanks!

Scott

This is Verbatim from the Nevada DMV Website
"Moped"
means a motor-driven scooter, motor-driven cycle or similar vehicle that is propelled by a small engine which produces not more than 2 gross brake horsepower, has a displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimeters or produces not more than 1500 watts final output, and is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than 1 percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged. (2009 Assembly Bill 441 - Effective 10/1/09)

You must have a Class C or higher driver license to drive a moped or motorized bicycle on a public street. You do not need a Class M license. Mopeds do not require insurance or vehicle registration. If the moped produces more than 2 gross brake horsepower, or has a displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters (50 cc), or produces not more than 1500 watts final output, or is capable of exceeding thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on a flat grade, it is considered a motorcycle and you must have a Class M license, registration and insurance.

Mopeds must have the same safety equipment (lights, mirrors, etc.) as a motorcycle in order to be driven on any public street. See the Motorcycle Equipment Tip Sheet. Other vehicles with a small engine are considered off-road motor vehicles and may not be operated on public streets.

This moped has the proper safety equipment and may be driven on public streets if it is designated for on-road use.

This moped is not properly equipped. It is an off-road vehicle and may not be driven on public streets. It may not be converted to on-road use.
If a vehicle was manufactured and designated for "off-road" or "non-road" use only, it may not be driven on Nevada public streets or highways even if it has safety equipment. Off-road mopeds may not be converted. The designation for off-road use is usually indicated in ownership documents, the owners manual or by a U.S. DOT label attached to the frame of the vehicle.

ATVs and Off-Highway/Off-Road Vehicles
Off-highway vehicles may not be driven on public streets.

Any motorized vehicle which does not have the normal safety equipment such as lights and mirrors or is not built to federal vehicle standards is an off-road vehicle and is restricted to off-road use only. This includes all-terrain vehicles, pocket bikes, motorized scooters and snowmobiles, but does not include converted off-highway two wheeled motorcycles.

With the exception of converted off-highway two wheeled motorcycles, Nevada does not title off-road vehicles. If a vehicle was manufactured and designated for "off-road" or "non-road" use only, it may not be registered for use on Nevada public roads or highways unless it meets the definition of a converted off-highway two wheeled motorcycle.

If a vehicle other than an off-highway two wheeled motorcycle is designated for off-road or non-road use it may not be converted for use on road. The designation for off-road use is usually indicated in ownership documents, the owners manual or by a U.S. DOT label attached to the frame of the vehicle.

There are no driver license or minimum age requirements for off-road vehicles. You may not drive them on any public street. City and county governments may designate small portions of public streets for access to or from off-road areas only. (NRS Chapter 490)

Although these vehicles are not titled or registered in Nevada, Use Tax may be due if the vehicle was purchased from an out of state dealer. See the Nevada Department of Taxation's Use Tax FAQ or Sales and Use Tax Publications.

The 2009 Nevada Legislature passed Senate Bill 394 that requires registration and titling of off-highway vehicles if certain conditions are met. SB 394 sets up a revolving account to help fund the DMV's startup costs.

If the revolving fund reaches $500,000 by July 1, 2011, the Interim Finance Committee will notify the DMV. Registration and titling of off-highway vehicles will begin 1 year later. If the revolving fund does not reach $500,000 by 7/1/11, the changes to the statutes expire and the program will not be implemented.

SB 394 also requires the Governor to form a new Commission on Off-Highway Vehicles by July 1, 2010.

There are no provisions in SB 394 that allow off-highway vehicles to be registered for use on road.
GSX-R600

n10sive

in addition to what Scott posted above (I presume from the DMV site), the finer print states on-road and off-road. When you get pulled over, and you will, they will look at what is stamped on the frame. If it is not DOT compliant, you will get a ticket. Some small scooters look road legal (lights, mirrors etc) but are not stamped for road use. They are illegal.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Moto Source

The Honda Spree is street legal in it's original form, produces less than 2hp, and will not exceed the 30mph threshold.  You should be good to moto around without much trouble on your new ride!

TygaUSA

Thanks guys!! I should be able to score lots of chicks on this thing!!  ;D

Scott

got to say i'm a bit jealous!
i want to pick up a Honda Ruckus one of these days for crusin!

GSX-R600

Jp_Rio

Quote from: TygaUSA on July 24, 2010, 02:48:13 PM
Thanks guys!! I should be able to score lots of chicks on this thing!!  ;D

I like where you "parked"  ;D
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

TygaUSA

Quote from: Jp_Rio on July 24, 2010, 10:49:46 PM

I like where you "parked"  ;D

I am big fan of parking bikes in the house!!

Well I got the Spree apart, fresh 2 stroke oil, fresh gas, a new spark plug and aired up the tires...ready to go! I thought it might go 35 ( I used to have a Ruckus and it would do 35) but 30 seems to be about it...maybe it needs a pipe and some jetting!  :D

Jp_Rio

What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

A DRAGON

I like the idea of parking in the house. Can you smell the gas?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

n10sive

Quote from: A DRAGON on July 26, 2010, 05:48:41 PM
I like the idea of parking in the house. Can you smell the gas?

it couldn't be any worse than what Regina puts up with you. Oh wait...you meant the motorcycle  ;D
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

A DRAGON

Dale!!!!! What you trying to say??????  Dammm I'm all Butt Hurt again by on of you guys.

LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D   That was pretty funny dale.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Scott

lol i feel like bringin the gixxer into the living room now!!
GSX-R600