Main Menu

Wear your Gear

Started by karneybo, May 13, 2009, 07:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n10sive

I don't know to tell you the truth. Since my leathers are intact, I would guess a burn that occured from the heat build up under them. It's very odd looking...doesn't have the 'scratch' marks of road rash either. Hurts like hell though!

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

MotoPutz

I don't doubt that. Just wait how fun it will be whne it scabs over...   ;)

n10sive

it already has!  :'(

Found some type of bandaid/covering today that will help it not scab over and help it heal faster. Some kind of artificial skin. Going to put it on tonight

D1NO

Quote from: Adiggity on May 14, 2009, 01:27:46 PM
Right on nvgixxer. I completely agree! The risk isn't worth it on the street to ride crazy. Too many variables. Not to mention the track is funner because you don't have to worry about getting popped for speeding, passing on a double yellow, ditches, telephone poles, culverts, cars, trucks....I could go on but I'm pretty sure you get the point. 8)

+100... Totally agree with you and nvgixxer. It is not worth the pain and suffering not to mention $$$$

D1NO

Quote from: n10sive on May 14, 2009, 09:09:37 PM
it already has!  :'(

Found some type of bandaid/covering today that will help it not scab over and help it heal faster. Some kind of artificial skin. Going to put it on tonight

Just looking at it already hurts... Heal up Dale... It's gotta be better than my Polish wife's remedy.. VODKA... : ) external and internal...

A DRAGON

Ouch!!!! Vodka on the outside? Stings a little don't it?  :'(
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

nvgixxer

Quote from: n10sive on May 14, 2009, 05:24:10 PM
here is a picture of my shoulder from this weekend at RFR. THIS is WITH leathers on! Imagine what you would look like if you were not wearing the proper gear.

Ohhh OUCH Dale! I just now saw this posting of yours! Dayuum......I do hope you heal up very soon my friend! The Sunday rides down this way without you would definitely be lacking!!  :o

Jimbo
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

n10sive

Thanks Jimbo. It's going to be a few weeks before I can ride again unfortunately :(  :'(

Justin

OH. That video is not so bad.  I thought it was going to be a horror show.  I'm glad he's ok.

Justin

Adiggity

Quote from: Gangplank on May 15, 2009, 09:38:23 AM

2) Re: the comments about gear and burns through & under gear. Gear is designed for impact and tear resistance. Bot all will resist heat transfer. You slide you create heat. The ground is rough soyou get rash and burn. You can prevent one by having a layer of something that will not rip between you and tera-firma but it will still generate heat
Agreed they all generate heat, but in my experience, a good set of leathers will not generate enough heat to burn you like that. I have fallen at 100+ and slid the whole time on my a$$ (probably 50 yards pavement, 80 yards dirt) until I stopped and never felt a thing. It did wear a very small hole in one of the layers of my leathers but there were more layers there. (In the leathers themselves) That is when that extra $$$$ for good leathers is worth it. There is a reason why some leathers are $500 and some are $1500. It's not just a scam.  ;)

If Harold would've been wearing a good set of leathers, I'd be willing to bet he would've never had to go to the hospital. I know he wouldn't have if the knee thing was his only reason for going. Glad he was ok, and I do agree with you Gangplank on the fact that this could've been avoided by a little better decision making from the part of Harold. 

n10sive

I'm still trying to figure out how I got burned like this. My leathers are fine. I am wondering if the CE armor itself generated the heat. Wish I was awake during it so I knew LOL

Dandelion

Quote from: Justino on May 15, 2009, 10:22:08 AM
OH. That video is not so bad.  I thought it was going to be a horror show.  I'm glad he's ok.
Chicken wings anyone?  What, too soon?

For real though, I see riders all the time in little to no gear and just cringe particularly when they have chosen helmets that aren't covering their face.

Adiggity

Quote from: n10sive on May 15, 2009, 11:23:25 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how I got burned like this. My leathers are fine. I am wondering if the CE armor itself generated the heat. Wish I was awake during it so I knew LOL

Yeah, it's tough to try and figure out when you don't remember. I remember you said that someone told you the bike landed on you. Was it on top of you for an extended amount of time? Maybe the bike's exhaust was laying on you, or maybe you just did a cool shoulder slide for a while and it got the armor hot.  :) What kind of leathers do you have?

n10sive

they were Fieldsheer Kangaroo body with triple leather in the seat and slide areas.

I had some missing teeth on the zipper, and remember them being open when the paramedic was checking me out but don't know WHEN they were opened. I still think they might have opened up on me on impact. Seems the initial hit was to the shoulder and side of helmet. Add the bike and there probably was a lot of stress on them in that area. It would explain the burn and little to no damage to the leathers on the shoulder. The armor on the left elbow was worn all the way through though (but no burns on my elbow).

I also went down right at the apex of Turn 1 and came to about mid 1A well in the dirt. So I was fortunate that I do not think I slide all that far on the pavement.

It's a mystery I tell ya! LOL