Main Menu

Roll Call - Virginia City, CC, West Lake Tahoe loop

Started by GreenMachine, July 21, 2018, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

The scheduled ride is to VC, around South Lake Tahoe to the west shore, and back.  But I'll see if there's any interest in a bit longer ride.  See Wentworth Springs alternative route below.

South route ride.

Virginia City to South Lake Tahoe:
VC to CC, CC to Kingsbury Grade, up and over to South Lake Tahoe, around south shore to west shore and back to Reno via Mt. Rose.  The group will decide where to eat.  Should be a splendid day for riding with normal Reno Summer temperatures returning to the region, with the exception of a chance of thunderstorms in the area by 2:00 PM.

If WWS:
Clockwise loop, I-395 south to Kingbury Grade, hwy 50 S. Lake Tahoe to Kyburz, Icehouse, WWS, and probably reverse route home, as the central valley will be blazing, whereas Tahoe is forecast to only reach 79°. 

Planned 8:30 AM kickstands up (KSU)*. 

Both of these will be decently long rides and with the threat of T-storms, pack a rain jacket just in case.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

South route ride.  This is a C+ level ride pace route, because of the dangers presented by riding too fast or out of control on Icehouse road.  It has some unmarked curves of technical nature and dangerous drop offs.  Meet at the Geiger Maverik Country Store prior to 8:30 AM.

As always, see 2018 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

Hope to see you there. 

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Live long and prosper \V/

A DRAGON

I have my kids till about 12. I'd like catch up with you guys.

Green Machine can text me so l can meet up with you.  Gotta get the tires down to my wear bars on the right side and middle.  Got new skins waiting. 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

:chilling  Looking forward to it.

Dragon.  I'll keep you posted.  Can send you a msg about 11:30 or closer to noon so you can intercept us.  The weather should keep things interesting.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

What a lucky break!  After splitting off with you guys in the first group, I joined up with Dragon.  On the way back we could see it was a mess towards Reno ~6:00 PM.  So we went into Truckee and had some post ride refreshments, met a nice couple who had ridden in from Reno also and was headed back too.  Not a drop hit us.  Waiting it out was the right move. 

Now it's T-storms and lightning in Reno.  What timing!

Thanks everyone.  Another splendid day of riding with friends.

eskiemong

Nice! We got to Reno just before it started raining.  We all did a great job in avoiding weather!

RichVee4

Radar didnt look good between here and Truckee later in the day so was figuring you'd get an afternoon shower.  Good call waiting it out.    We saw Dragon about Boca headed toward Truckee on our way back.
Live long and prosper \V/

A DRAGON

What an ass l am. I don't remember seeing you guys.  What a clown l am.  Gotta hook up with you guys this year Rich. Maybe next ride.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750